• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Cinematic] [Cinematic] The Bloodline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
This is my first cinematic and completed map. Any feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated.

Inspired by thedeathunterxx's Legend of Ediathis

This episode starts the Bloodline series off. It introduces a few of the main characters, the initial conflict that sets the wheels in motion and tells a sub-story that will be built upon in later episodes.

Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=9zynsy

Holy...shit.. i shit myself of amazement. This cinematic is one of the most epic and best i've ever seen!!! Not much of a reviewer but i'll give ya this.

-The pros-
Great story
Great terrain
Great camera work
Great EVERYTHING

-Cons-
None

You have my full respect and +rep!
I can't wait for part two!
-Additional Comments-
This could go good with a custom loading screen and possibly some voice actors.

Level 14
Capital work, dear boy. I am impressed.

The terrain was rather well made. Some parts were a bit empty though, for example at the start(interlude) you could see nothing behind the buildings. Adding some hills or a few trees would do wonders. I also think you could modify the terrain where there is a lake in which the demon was bound. It's alright, but a bit lower grade then your other terrain.

The story is, well... kind of old. Sure you got some new form of magic, but it's basically all just SotHM meets NWN meets CotD. It's not your fault really, the thing which is easiest to make in warcraft 3, namely medieval, magic-related stories have been completely siphoned by other w3 cinematics as well as plenty of rpgs. It's not a minus, but it's not really a plus either. Still, as far as the medieval, magic-related story goes yours looks quite promising.

The camera work was alright, nothing special but not bad. Some angles were fine, some were good and some were meh. There was some camera movement, but not always. Still, a decent job nonetheless.

The dialogues were a bit unnatural, which came to a surprise after seeing how natural you made the interlude look. There were also a few spelling and grammar errors. I believe you typed magc instead of magic somewhere as well as a few other places which I don't remember.

All in all, the cinematic looks promising and I wish you all the best luck in finishing it. Glad to see another cinematic series inspired by my work, although, admittedly it is quite indirectly :)

Level 2
I check Hiveworkshop everyday, just to see if part 2 is released yet.
I got so bid by it that I've watched it several times : >
Awesome job, finish part 2 faster! :D

Level 8
thanks for the comments and compliments guys, means alot to me =)

part 2 was done some time ago, however, i forgot to update it here

I took a break from this for a bit but part 3 is on its way.
It's going to be challenging to keep up to the bar you guys have set up to this one, but I am determined.

In these two episodes I noticed I lacked action and just building on plot. I have most of the series planned out, but it's taking a longer time to relay the storyline in a natural manner than I thought it would. Part 3 may take some time because I intend to have battles in it, and I dont exactly consider myself an outstanding fighting choreographer :S.

PS. if you notice typos in the episodes, please state the general phrase it's in so i can find it and correct it =) thx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Part 3 is out. HOWEVER: >>>I have made some minor changes to Ep. 1 and 2 so I recommend you rewatch the updated versions<<<

Some changes include, replacing unimportant information with more relevent stuff and shortening some dialogues, breaking down dialogues so it's easier to read and removing unimportant characters.

Here are the links to all three:
I. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/bloodline-153836/
II. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/bloodline-ii-154105/
III. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/bloodline-iii-156440/
Read the description(s) for more info on the episode.
-----

Episode 3 took a long time to make because... 1. I took a break after finishing part 2 and because this episode involves MUCH more action than the last two.

(Inspired by thedemonhunterxx's Legend of Ediathis)

Comments and feedback appreciated =)

Last edited:
Level 13
I see you started quite a impressive cinematic series (according to the comments both here and on your map), I will have an anticipated look at your cinematic series shortly, each series will get a review from me at the map itself hopefully in the upcoming week.

Looking forward to see your cinematics.

Level 8
This is about a halfway, WIP of episode 5.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/pastebin.php?id=fr0ri6

The Bloodline V takes place in Cruden Keep, a prison where our heroes have been taken after the event at Valinor.
A somewhat significant character will be making her first appearance in this episode (Not in this preview). She has been subtly mentioned twice before in the earliest episodes of the Bloodline. Who?

I have a wonder... do you guys think you understand what's going on in the series? The plot? For part VI, I don't have intense action planned. It will be more like part II with one more... element... involved.

---

Some things I noticed in this episode, that perhaps you guys could suggest/help me with?

- During the intro, there is a victim on the table. He acts oddly nonchalant considering what happens to him seconds later... The man is a Doodad of which I cannot animate.

- I dislike the female villager model... especially for an unarmored Lina, even though she's only so for one scene.

- The person they find in the sewer doesn't look like he's dying. I don't mind the model, but at least a sitting down animation?

---

Others notes I want to mention:

-With SC2 approaching, I feel rushed to complete this series. There's still quite some way to go... The fourth hasn't been mentioned yet =[.
I don't know what future cinematics have in SC2, but I hope there at least is one.

-Voice Acting. I probably won't do it, but I think it'd be interesting. If you think you have a sexy voice and are interested, maybe you could pick a few lines from the series and show me =P. Just a thought though. I find my own recorded voice atrocious. >_>.

Level 9
I watched it. It is epic even though it is a preview. I understand the plot [:
A few comments:
1. Nearing the end of the preview, i can see 2 chase.
Leric
could use a skin Bloody Villager Male (If you need help making it a stand alone skin so that it won't affect chase or the others, i can help you do it.)
3. Keep up the good work, waiting for the full version [: Although its a preview, it seems like a full version to me.

Level 6
Well, what can I say. I am a person who is most interested in story. I hate to admit it, but I found it very hard to keep watching after the first episode. You seem to use an abundance of cliches combined with overall mediocre writing. I thought the terrain, camerawork, and cinematic foresight were of good quality. Unfortunately, I despised the story from what I've seen.

The first episode seems identical to the beginning of Star Wars (and incidentally the beginning of Eragon). There's a kid living with his parents until the Imperials kill them. Luckily, he is saved by a wiser mentor who knows that he is the Chosen One.

Why did the woman tell him this whole story if she is just supposed to be transporting him? Why did you have to make Chase an obvious chosen one with no distinctive qualities of his own? The Big Bad stereotypical evil demon who could only be brought down by an ancient magical team of superheroes wasn't really that fresh either.

It just really... isn't that good of writing. I admit that I only watched the first episode but... shouldn't a movie make you want to see the sequels? Does the story honestly get better afterward?

Last edited:
Level 8
I realise some/many of you may have the opinion that my series is more or less "nothing we haven't seen before".
On a slightly offtopic note, I see your descriptions (unoriginal, but good quality presentation) resemble some opinions of a certain, recent movie.

It seems, as CMarket mentioned earlier, that this particular genre has been siphoned out. I thought I could work this into something different, but apparantly some still see it just the same.

Level 14
Well, what can I say. I am a person who is most interested in story. I hate to admit it, but I found it very hard to keep watching after the first episode. You seem to use an abundance of cliches combined with overall mediocre writing. I thought the terrain, camerawork, and cinematic foresight were of good quality. Unfortunately, I despised the story from what I've seen.

The first episode seems identical to the beginning of Star Wars (and incidentally the beginning of Eragon). There's a kid living with his parents until the Imperials kill them. Luckily, he is saved by a wiser mentor who knows that he is the Chosen One.

Why did the woman tell him this whole story if she is just supposed to be transporting him? Why did you have to make Chase an obvious chosen one with no distinctive qualities of his own? The Big Bad stereotypical evil demon who could only be brought down by an ancient magical team of superheroes wasn't really that fresh either.

It just really... isn't that good of writing. I admit that I only watched the first episode but... shouldn't a movie make you want to see the sequels? Does the story honestly get better afterward?

Chase is not "the chosen one", he is one of the chosen ones.
Storywise, even if it has cliches , for me it's still worth watching because I am really curious of the warcraft posibilities into cinematics. I also believe that dts still can drive the story into another direction.
Anyway, this is good practice ,again storywise, because if you don't know the cliches and you don't use them once, you can't go beyond them and come up with original ideas.
Also it's kinda hard in 2010 to come with original story ideas. Sometimes it's just enough to be an entertaining story, not necesarily an original one. And imo, this series is entertaining.

Level 6
To be honest, dts0301 isn't overusing cliches intentionally. It seems like he has watched all the popular works of fantasy (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and has created something of his own without trying to actually analyze the story much. Because he is creating a story from his natural mind without any further sophisticated process, he has essentially just transferred his basic collective knowledge of these fantasy works into his cinematics. The result? A work overridden with cliches and stolen plot elements, and whenever he attempts to make any original content it just ends up being akward and poorly written (such as the dialogue).

Once again I must add that your cinematic quality is good, it is just the story that is off. Some would say that story doesn't matter when making a cinematic, but I disagree due to the fact that movies are first and foremost a form of storytelling.

Level 1
To be honest, dts0301 isn't overusing cliches intentionally. It seems like he has watched all the popular works of fantasy (Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.) and has created something of his own without trying to actually analyze the story much. Because he is creating a story from his natural mind without any further sophisticated process, he has essentially just transferred his basic collective knowledge of these fantasy works into his cinematics. The result? A work overridden with cliches and stolen plot elements, and whenever he attempts to make any original content it just ends up being akward and poorly written (such as the dialogue).

Once again I must add that your cinematic quality is good, it is just the story that is off. Some would say that story doesn't matter when making a cinematic, but I disagree due to the fact that movies are first and foremost a form of storytelling.

You're being too picky. This isn't a major motion picture. This is a series of Warcraft 3 cinematic maps. Lighten up.

Level 19
Wow! This is great and I haven't even finished watching it yet, you could actually gather up a team to spice the cinematic up a bit with epic models and animation, and maybe some sounds :p Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.