• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chillwind Pass

Reactions: UndeadImmortal
Map Description:

"This pass, situated north of the Alterac Mountains has long been a major trading route for merchants and home to many woodland creatures. After a group of renegade mages and heretics found shelter here, the merchants call for your protection!"

Chillwind Pass is an 8 player melee map, meant for 2v2v2v2 or 4v4. Can be played as a normal 2v2 as well, but not advised.

Features:

1. Team play strongly enforced:

- teams of 2 players starting in each corner; one on the high ground and one on the low ground. The base of the player that starts on the high ground can only be accessed through his team mate's base
- Players that start on the high ground have 17k gold in their mine, while those that start on the low ground have a standard 12.5k. This encourages tech from one player that will not need to worry about expanding until the later stages of the game.
- one "natural" expansion close-by that can be easily fast -crept
- a free merc camp for every 2 player team, unguarded.

2. Aggression-prone map:

- map is medium-sized, 4 teams on each corner (or 2 teams north vs south or east vs west), distances from one team to another relatively short
- plenty of green-orange creep camps to gank enemies at
- 3 red camps, out of which the central creep camp is unlikely to be crept by one player only (enforces teamplay)
- hidden walk way behind the 6 and 12 o clock mine/camp, by clearing the trees, takes you straight to your opponent's base

3. Plenty of neutral buildings:

-2 goblin labs: 3 and 9 o'clock
-5 goblin mercs: 4 unguarded near each team's bases, 1 heavily guarded in the center
-4 goblin merchants guarded by orange ccs, close to your "natural" expansion gold mines.
-8 additional gold mines, 2 guarded by red camps at 12 and 6 o clock and 4 guarded by orange camps
- no fountains or markets for balance's sake

4. Re-playability!

- The map is very replayable; in 4v4 North vs South is VERY different from East vs West
- also, it matters what races the players on the high ground and on the low ground get for each team, so many possibilities!

Have fun playing it!

Oh and many of you wanted this, although I still have no idea why:

Contents

Chillwind Pass (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet11:06, 22th July 2013 Map Approved Goblin Detonation (Version 1.0b) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet11:06, 22th July 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Goblin Detonation (Version 1.0b)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Gameplay looks fair and executed moderately, although I don't like the idea of all mercenary camps of lordaeron summer to be guarded while the only one mercenary camp of lordaeron fall is overly protected by strong creeps eventhough the lordaeron summer patronizes support units, still its quite a strategy to behold."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain looks fine but somehow, the idea of making cliff walls is too bad to bare, try making it into a clump-size cliffs it can give ground control to those who are using it while it also gives sight to any possible units."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my conclusion, map can be useful and approved."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1577%C

Level 28
Review:

Chillwind Pass is a 8 player melee map suitable for 2 player per team match because of its terrain layout.

I do not support this kind of terrain layout for melee maps that force a player to be a vanguard for another player and does not support a fair Free-for-All melee match but I'll be open minded and review it as a 2 ppt melee match. Actually in that kind of perspective the layout becomes unique in someway as we rarely see this kind of layout not to mention that its balance.

About the terrain designing, its pretty much par in my opinion but still very inconsistent. There are few spots that looks sweet like those buildings and goblin labs but the rest is flat, empty and just boring. You can fill them up with more rocks, lantern, arcs, etc, spamming the rocks sometimes look good with the right variation and since you used some buildings then why not use more? Spamming them on some places will actually looks good then make it more variant by adding some well and windmill, etc. Also try to be consistent on brushing the tiles, some part looks well brushed and some part looks rushed.

Anyway, some more suggestions, try replacing those 2 taverns to other neutral building then replace the mercenary camp in the middle to a tavern. Also its a pretty big map with 8 players, maybe you can add more neutral creeps to farm. Also do not place neutral buildings on stone path tiles, they don't look good. Just brush the stone path tile by another tile.

Anyway, terrain is fine, drop is fine, its playable and its rare to see big maps this days so voting for approval. 3/5.

PS:
Calculate shadows and add a fog.

Level 3
hey thanks for your review man :D

I agree with most of the things you said, with the mention that adding more ccs is a challenge on a map this size; it is quite small for an 8 player map.

Also, the starting positions of each player were intended to be as they are, i hope your rating is not based on that. I try to make each map different from the last and this is the "theme" if you will for this one. Terrain could use a bit more love, I'll work on that soon.

Forgot to mention that this map was created as a tribute to WTii's channel. That might explain the aggression that it is prone to, the starting neutral buildings and the layout itself, as he usually plays 4v4s and sometime 2v2s.

IMO, the starting positions are the best thing this map has to offer and switching that is out of the question, it's what sets this map aside from the others.

Well that and playing it with friends is really fun :D

Cheers!

Level 5
Review:

Chillwind Pass is a 8 player melee map suitable for 2 player per team match because of its terrain layout.

I do not support this kind of terrain layout for melee maps that force a player to be a vanguard for another player and does not support a fair Free-for-All melee match but I'll be open minded and review it as a 2 ppt melee match. Actually in that kind of perspective the layout becomes unique in someway as we rarely see this kind of layout not to mention that its balance.

About the terrain designing, its pretty much par in my opinion but still very inconsistent. There are few spots that looks sweet like those buildings and goblin labs but the rest is flat, empty and just boring. You can fill them up with more rocks, lantern, arcs, etc, spamming the rocks sometimes look good with the right variation and since you used some buildings then why not use more? Spamming them on some places will actually looks good then make it more variant by adding some well and windmill, etc. Also try to be consistent on brushing the tiles, some part looks well brushed and some part looks rushed.

Anyway, some more suggestions, try replacing those 2 taverns to other neutral building then replace the mercenary camp in the middle to a tavern. Also its a pretty big map with 8 players, maybe you can add more neutral creeps to farm. Also do not place neutral buildings on stone path tiles, they don't look good. Just brush the stone path tile by another tile.

Anyway, terrain is fine, drop is fine, its playable and its rare to see big maps this days so voting for approval. 3/5.

PS:
Calculate shadows and add a fog.

Too be honest i totally agree :p
Indeed you need to work a little bit with the terrian and maby remove some labs for a fountain or a market place.
I vote 3/5 too good job kenny

Level 7
Hey Kenny, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this map.

Video Link

Here is a video link of me & some of the GBR community play testing this map:

I appreciate the feedback & I feel a lot of that applies to if the map was treated as though it were on the ladder. However, between friends or at a lan I think this map was really good with a lot of potential for different games. I will give it a 5/5 simply because I was really impressed & enjoyed it.

I would suggest that if you were to re-attempt this then following the feedback & making changes to how players can approach the enemy bases would only help to improve this map!