• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Channel Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
so how would you make a channeling spell? i can figure you would take a channeling spell and edit it to do nothing and then what after that?

you'd need a trigger to do something...

what i was thinking was making a channeling spell that picked all of a certain kindof unit and slowed it for the duration of the channeling.

how do you do this? i want it so of course you can disable the channeling like any other channeling so i don't know how to make a trigger for channeling.

found solution...view the test map yeah i know it says skeletons but i've used this file for pretty much all my testing lately since it's so much faster loading than my big fat map.
  • tranq slow Copy
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Tranquility
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A sapper) Equal to (==) True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Set (Picked unit) movement speed to ((Default movement speed of (Triggering unit)) - (Random real number between 50.00 and 150.00))
  • tranq slow
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to (==) Tranquility
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A sapper) Equal to (==) True)) and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Set (Picked unit) movement speed to (Default movement speed of (Triggering unit))
check out the way i set this trigger up! you can set it to default movement speed of the unit minus a random real number between 50-150 or whatever. this random feature from the picking the units is very notable! what can you do with this, you may ask? you can feature a rat race gambling map for one, all the rats would run at different speeds and different ones would reach the finish line first. haha i think this is great. not that a gambling map would be great, but making units run at random speeds although they are the same unit type. i think that adds more realism to the game and could be very interesting for maps other than racing maps.

i guess you could do the opposite of what i did and make the unit start with movement of zero, and then make a spell channeling for a race...when the spell is activated the units get a random boost of movement speed...you may want to add special effects though to help ppl know the race started.

Attachments

• test revive skeletons.w3x
    33 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Level 17
You make a dummy spell based on a channeling ability as you say, and also a dummy spell based on slow.

Use the event: A unit starts channeling an ability.
Condition: Ability being cast blahblah
Action:
Set caster and target into a variable each.
Create your dummy unit, order it to cast slow on the target.

Now create another trigger.
Event: VariableCast stops channeling blahblah
Condition: Abilty being cast blahblah
Action: Remove buff from VariableTarg
Set VariableCast & VariableTarg to No unit.

This isn't MUI

Level 13
You make a dummy spell based on a channeling ability as you say, and also a dummy spell based on slow.

Use the event: A unit starts channeling an ability.
Condition: Ability being cast blahblah
Action:
Set caster and target into a variable each.
Create your dummy unit, order it to cast slow on the target.

Now create another trigger.
Event: VariableCast stops channeling blahblah
Condition: Abilty being cast blahblah
Action: Remove buff from VariableTarg
Set VariableCast & VariableTarg to No unit.

This isn't MUI
the only event regarding channeling i can find is a unit begins channeling...there is no start or stop event. this is the problem.

i'm sorry i forgot to mention that in the original post. i was going to post the question, then went searching because iwas like, surly there is the answer already on the site, but i didn't find it so i decided to post the new thread after all.

Level 4
using the event "Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability" and condition "(Ability being cast) Equal to Your Spell" works to check channeling end.

Status
Not open for further replies.