• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changing the Loadscreen Loading Bar text

Level 6
Hey Hey Hey :grin:

Again, I am abliged to share some very uncommonly known information with you :smile:

Many people like having custom stuff in their maps, so why not in the the load screen loading bar as well?

Note: "I have seen a Thread on the Hive that explains how to do this, but I don't actually know where it is, or if it is still around, so this could be a upgrade or something"

Note: "Remember that if you have any other .txt files imported, none of them, including this one will work, and may cause map crashes. So they must all be in one .txt file, and that .txt file must be imported as war3mapskin.txt"

What you are going to need to do:

1. Open Note-Pad and type in or copy/paste the following:

[FrameDef]
LOADING_LOADING=your text here
LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY=your text here
LOADING_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS= your text here

2. Now you need to import the .txt into your map using the Import Manager. Set the import path of the imported .txt to war3mapskin.txt

Note: "Don't make the string too long, or it will not appear in the bar"

3. Enjoy :thumbs_up:

Note: "Only the LOADING_PRESS_A_KEY text will apear the first time you run the map. This is because once the map has finnished loading, it applies all imports etc. If you want the other text to appear, then restart your map."

If you ever have any questions, don't be afraid to ask
panda.gif

By the way, the original tut (which is actually better than this one I think) is found here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/general-mapping-tutorials-278/changing-loading-bar-text-112579/

Last edited:
Level 28
Hm... this doesn't say a lot, you've used the file correctly, but you didn't use it to it's full extend, nor did you warn players for the dangers of using this =D

If you use this, everything you've set up in "advanced" -> "Game Interface" will be lost.
There is no way to undo this... inside the world editor.
However, you can add more functions (in fact: all functions you wish) to this file, so all values are inside the same notepad file.

Be happy, I've done all the work for you and created a file which includes all data about:
  • war3mapSkin.txt (font, loading text, game interface)
  • war3mapMisc.txt (gameplay constants)
  • war3mapExtra.txt (fog, sky)
  • Units\CommandStrings.txt (command buttons, errors)

As far as I know:
war3mapExtra.txt overrides the sky/fog.
war3mapSkin.txt overrides the game interface.
war3mapMisc overrides the gameplay constants.
Units\CommandStrings.txt erases and replaces the errors and command buttons.

(with erase & replace, I mean that Attack will become "No tooltip" if you import that file without the attack-command, while all the other text-files will leave everything standard except the values you've set, so you don't need to insert all values in the other ones).

There's a small tutorial on top of the text-file I've attached, read that if you don't know how to use it :D

(You probably don't need all of the commands, just create a new text-file and add everything you need, or you will waste valuable map size).
View attachment 75971

Edit: not all of these values are standard, I've changed some out of boredom and can't be bothered to change them again, but if you import something from that file, I assume you want to change it yourself, so it shouldn't really matter.

Level 28
Lol, I didn't see that, but I would say the same there as I did here: you can do a LOT more with that and it fucks up all game interface changes, though there is no warning about it in that tutorial (as far as I've seen).
O, well...

LoL xD! Dude how are you so informed about all this stuff?
That takes a LOT of time...
I've checked ALL files used by warcraft first, then checked which ones were 'initialised' when loading a map and through that I could see what files could be changed and which not.
Then I created the listfile of the files that CAN be changed + their effects.
(Can all be found inside an MPQ-editor).