• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Changeling Melee: Booty Bay

The concept:
You select components of your custom race, rather than being given a set race. Originally this was created for a campaign, which may or may not get made, where each mission you select a new component to add to your race.

There are seven choices: 17 Tier 1 options, 11 spellcaster options, 11 seige options, 10 flying options, 4 naval options, 10 second barracks options, and 10 final options. There are a total of 8,228,000 possible combinations, and enough units, buildings, abilities, and upgrades for 12-13 complete races. I am insane for doing this.

SampleRace.jpg

(a sample set of choices)

I have documentation for all of the choices in game. You can also read it all here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Documentation.txt
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Documentation.doc

The Void:
There is another race, the Void, that I have just added. They are seperate from the customizable race options, as their mechanics are very strange. They do not use gold, but rather produce all units from a building constructed over a gold mine. They have various other strange mechanics as well. I'll do a full writeup of their units and whatnot later. For now, check them out in game.

Void.jpg

(void base with units and hero)

The story:
The Changelings are an extradimensional, immaterial race of shapeshifters that copy the forms of species they encounter in their dimensional travels in order to make war on each other and their common enemies. They have come to Azeroth to find new forms, hone their skills against each other, and ultimately destroy the Void, a race of anti-matter warriors that they have followed to Azeroth.

Six Changeling generals have come with their followers. In the campaign, you would play as one of these generals, and you would choose which encoutnered specimens should be added to your forces. Meanwhile, the other five are doing the same, but off screen, and they always make the same choices (for multiple play throughs).

Downloads and installation:
Currently, I am testing this system on a modified Booty Bay map. I'll be moving it over to a few more soon (for multiplayer only, most likely, since importing all of the files is a huge pain).

To play, you need either the single player map with all of the files, or the multiplayer map and my mod MPQ file. The single player version is the one uploaded to this site.

For single player with no patch:
You can download the map uploaded here, or use this link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/(2)ChangelingMeleeBetaNoPatch1.1.w3x

Simply put the map in your Maps folder and run it through WarCRaft 3, or open it with the World Editor and choose File - Test Map. Just make sure that you aren't using a fixed random seed (File - Preferences - Test Map - Use Fixed Random Seed).

Or, you can use the multiplayer option:

For multiplayer:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/(2)ChangelingMeleeBeta1.1.w3x

You also need the patch to play the multiplayer version:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/War3PatchChangeling.mpq

Once you have these files, put the map somewhere in your Maps folder. If you have MPQDraft, you can use it to open the game with this patch. If you don't, you can simply rename this MPQ file to replace the War3Patch.mpq in your WarCraft 3 directory. Just make sure to backup the real one by moving it or renaming it. Then just open the game and play the map as a custom game.

You should be able to play over LAN and Battle.net, so long as everyone involved has this patch.

Testing:
I'd like any feedback you have. Comments, questions, balance issues, bugs, etc.

I realize it will be impossible to ever fully balance this monster, due to the 8,228,000 combinations, so that's not as important for testing.

I also realize this system isn't good for competition, as it's extremely difficult to anticipate what your opponent could possibly do, even with lots of scouting. It was designed for a camapaign, so that's unavoidable.

Credits:
Not all of the listed models/icons/spells are available in-game yet, but they're all in the mod/map, and will be used once the natural form Changeling race is done.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/526357/Credits.txt

What's to come:
This map is complete and playable, but there are other things I want to add:

I am planning yet another race: Changelings in their natural form, which use mana in place of lumber as a secondary resource.

A friend should be writing new music for this mod soon as well.

I'd like to make AI for the Void and the five preset race options (the ones the NPCs would choose in the campaign). This could take a while, and may never happen unless I get a volunteer to do it for me.

And of course, if I ever get around to it, I'd like to make a campaign with this system, as that was the original idea. This also may not happen, since I've spent long enough on this thing, and still have more to do outside of a campaign. If I get enough interest though, I'll do it.

Changelog:
October 23, 2010: Fixed the button location of the Rhinolox's Devour ability. Fixed a typo in the Puppet Master's Replace Husk spell.

October 21, 2010: Fixed the Devourer's name. Removed an ability that Rhinoloxes shouldn't have had. Fixed the requirements of the Extradimensional Spaces upgrade to require the correct building. Fixed some typos in the Violator's Absorb Void Spark ability.

October 20, 2010: Fixed a missing icon in the single player version. Fixed the skin for the Harbinger Void unit in the single player version. Fixed the Ray of Disruption spell to check dependancies.

October 19, 2010: Updated the default map (the one uploaded here, not just linked in the description) to be the single player version. It now works through WarCraft 3 directly. Also fixed the patch file to be the most up to date version. If anyone had missing icons or models while playing, this will fix them.

January 31, 2011: Fixed the map description slightly. I should have the natural form Changeling race up within the next week or two.

Keywords:
Custom Race, Race, Melee, Mod
Contents

Changeling Melee: Booty Bay (Map)

Reviews
10:44, 23rd Mar 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Approved Very nice and unique idea, maybe some models look poor but let's ignore that...

M

10:44, 23rd Mar 2011
-Kobas-:
Very nice and unique idea, maybe some models look poor but let's ignore that...

Level 6
Great description and innovative idea! Sound good, but I'll let that be decided on the gameplay.

Level 3
Woops, I just broke it. Fixing real quick so the single player version works...

[Edit]: Okay, should be good.

Response to leaks: Are there leaks outside of the setup stuff? I figure stuff that runs once doesn't matter, and the rest shouldn't leak unless I missed something.

Response to terrain: The terrain is just a slightly modified Booty Bay (the Blizzard map). Modified just to allow naval units.

Last edited:
Level 3
Please change the map name (this is a MUST)
Also take the time to put some screenshots in the description.

I'm trying to get the name to change, but it doesn't seem to work. The map's name (in the editor) is correct, but it freaks out when uploaded. Could it have something to do with the extra files I put in the map (directly with WinMPQ, not through the import manager)?

Is there a way to manually change the name of this thread?

I'll do some screenshots later today.

[Edit]: I uploaded the multiplayer version, which has none of the extra files, and the name is good. I'd like the version uploaded here to be the version you can just run though, in case people don't read the description.

[Edit]: Added a couple screenshots. It's hard to show the mod off with screenshots, since it's all about choices. I'd need a lot of screenshots to show off the piles of units, buildings, abilities, and upgrades.

[Edit again]: Name fixed for the single player version. Files are now imported through the import manager (which was a HUGE pain). So that's the uploaded version again.

Last edited:
Level 22
my review style :)
Terrain 2/5 (You almost didn't change anything)
Gameplay 2/5 (i don't like melee though)
Size 2/5 (like what the heck, 8 mb reached out?!?!)

2/5 x 3 = 6/15 = 2/5

What are you talking about?

it's 634.38 KB not over 8 MB

Terrain, you can count if it uses the default terrain, but overall there are many maps which are good and use standard terrain (no I don't mean mine)

Gameplay, don't rate 2/5 just because you don't like Melee maps.

Level 3
I like altered ones though

Type: Altered Melee

This is altered. Are you just seeing it as a regular melee map? It's a system/mod, not a specific map. Booty Bay is just my beta testing grounds.

Did you actually play it at all, or even read the description? Or did you just assume it was a normal melee map and leave it at that?

it's 634.38 KB not over 8 MB

It is, but you need the patch file for it to work, which is large. Or you can use the single player version, which is larger than 8 MB.

[Edit]: Now it's over 8MB again. The single player version is now the default (the one uploaded here rather than just linked in the description).

Last edited:
Level 15
no you said 8mb and woot

My rating is 2/5 i wont change it bcoz melee juz sucks
I like altered ones though

This is just bullsiht! I am not a melee fan but you should rate a map because you dont liekt the style of the map...

Also about the terrain? What? You should be kidding, he made the map improved with the races not with the terrain...

Your rating is useless.

Altho i give it a 4/5 Altho its allmost 16 mb now not 8 xP

Level 3
Bug: The Puppet Master's first ability has a green icon.

Thanks for the catch. I'll get that fixed. Was it the single player version? I just moved everything into the import manager rather than using WinMPQ to drop it all into the file, so I may have missed that one, or may have messed up its file path.

[Edit]: All fixed. I guess that one just got missed in the move. Thanks again.

Level 7
Some more bugs:
- The Violator's ability says "Absorb Void Focus" while in reality, it absorbs a Void Spark. Also you misspelt "siege" in that ability's tooltip.
- It's impossible to research the Void's Extredimensional Spaces tech since it requires an Arcane Vault, which can't be built.

Level 3
Some more bugs:
- The Violator's ability says "Absorb Void Focus" while in reality, it absorbs a Void Spark. Also you misspelt "siege" in that ability's tooltip.
- It's impossible to research the Void's Extredimensional Spaces tech since it requires an Arcane Vault, which can't be built.

Ew, that last one was a silly bug. Thanks. All fixed.

I dont think this is about campaing.

Not directly, but I explained in the description that the system was designed for a campaign. It might happen if enough people want it. And if someone can write AI for it.

Level 7
i dont understand why the rating is only 3.67/5... it deserves much better. i like the way i can customize the races and the new race...i give it 5/5 because you managed to make an inventive map out of a normal melee map

Level 7
Also, you misspelt the word "siege" in the upgrades that increase damage and armor of the siege units (whatever they are called).

Level 3
I'm back to work on this, now that I'm settled into my new job. I should have the natural form race up in the next week or two, as well as some new multiplayer maps.

I can write the AI for a campaign but to make it you need Terrainer/Cinematic-er/Speller and an idea.

And also so much more time than I have, unfortunately. Any interest in doing melee AI for the Void and five preset races?

Level 12
OK I think ur map is good. Some heroes still have green icon powers (check that pls) and I really like the concept of it but (there's always a but) maybe it would be better if this was a bigger map so more players can play (Well most altered melees start with Booty Bay but this is a great map but maybe you should create your own terrain that will fit the races you can create)but still I say 4.4912132323256461411164644131846544641844441/5