• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Change Color of a Model without Texture File

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna change the color of a few models but they don't have a blp texture file. So how can i change the color of a model which only has a mdx file?

In Magos' Model Editor, you can tint geosets in any desired colour:
68665062.png

Click on [...] to choose the colour you want.

Another way would be to create additional layers in the Material Manager, using Teamcolour (or you can import a texture and use it for that layer). Set it to either "Additive" or "Add Alpha" so that the texture beneath is still visible (otherwise it looks as if the model dropped into a basket of paint).

Oh, and by the way, EVERY model (mdx file) uses textures, you can see their path, extract or import them via Magos' "Texture Manager".

Hope this answered your question.

Level 5
How can i open that window? And i tried to export the texture files and after i edited them to import them back, but i need to rename the path to the correct one but i can't edit the path.

Level 5
Okay i edited a skin file of a model and changed the texture path so that it should work, but when i open the model in the model editor the model looks the same as before.

Okay i edited a skin file of a model and changed the texture path so that it should work, but when i open the model in the model editor the model looks the same as before.

Ok, so what you did was enabling the model file to actually find your texture, but it isn't used by your model yet.
You have to set it via the Material Manager in Magos'.
==> Windows -> Material Manager -> Choose (doubleclick on) a geoset.
A new window will open that shows you how many layers this geoset has. Doubleclick on a layer and you will see which texture that layer currently uses.
46794997.png

There you can swap textures.

Level 5
Hm that's kinda difficult. I removed a few things from the model so that it only needs one for two texture files. I edited them and imported them and the path is correct but still the texture are not properly put onto the model. How can i make the textures work properly on the model?

Hm that's kinda difficult. I removed a few things from the model so that it only needs one for two texture files. I edited them and imported them and the path is correct but still the texture are not properly put onto the model. How can i make the textures work properly on the model?

I assume that you mean that the texture isn't wrapped propperly. To solve this, you would have to convert the mdx. to a mdl. file, open it in VertexModifier, it will ask you which geoset to open.
If you found the correct geoset, go to Tools -> UV Mapping
and load a JPG-imagefile of your texture. Now you can freely move verticles so that the texture is applied to the model propperly.

If this is all too complicated for you, you could try and request some help. Somebody might be nice enough to fix it for you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.