• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Casting while walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Is there a way to make spells castable while walking? I tried setting all cast points to 0.0, and it didn't help.
So far, I only though of saving the last order and reissuing the order whenever the spell is cast, but that seems like a good solution.

EDIT: solved with trigger system, ordering the unit to move again once it casts the spell. It causes the unit to stop for a moment, but that's so short it almost unnoticable

Last edited:
Level 5
I'd suggest using Immolation, since then you can remove the effects simply by using the object editor, it's a bit easier.

Level 9
You can make a spell bar with dialogs.

Actions: Show DialogSpellList for triggering player.

Event: Dialog button clicked

Actions:
Create dummy at the position of hero[player number of triggering player]
If dialog button clicked = button, order dummy to cast ability on hero[player number of triggering player]

Level 19
I'd simply make a moment system that will make unit move with triggers
about animations I just dont know

Level 12
Yeah, maybe you are right O2, the trigger systems seems like a best solution after all.

The dialog system is unusable for me, whole point of this is that player can cast spells VERY fast. I need this for my map, which has a spellcrafting system, that requires using 8 to 10 abilities to cast one spell. That's why i need them to be castable while walking.
Thx for help everyone, i will try the trigger system and report how it works.

Level 12
Maybe you could create a variable for each player's unit order (assuming there is only one unit per player), or a variable for each player's MAIN unit, that resets with each order. When an ability is used, start the triggering for the ability while also issuing the unit to resume it's order.
Yes, that is exactly what i said in the very first post:
So far, I only though of saving the last order and reissuing the order whenever the spell is cast, but that seems like a good solution.
I just hope that's going to work, though it will most propably affect the animation, but that's not such a big deal.

Last edited:
Level 11
Hm, i had two units(two models), one of them is feet, and other is body, but i moved them by arrow, when i pressed left click, body used chaos(morp) with animation "attack" and in second or two, when animation is ower, i swapd back, and maked unit damage in front, you can make something like this but its lots of work, there is item, flash, orc havethem, you can use them while moving, this can be as a spell i supose.
6 slots 6 items, and if you need inventory make a system, inventory=spell, spells board=inventory

Level 11
i have tested your map,
if you don't want to stop, Juz DON'T CAST THE SPELL !!
so it won't stop walk animation....

what i mean:
Change your cast point to 0.00
make a normal spell base on any skill.

mainly the skill is no effect right??? all the effect run from trigger.
Code:
event - a unit [B][U]begin[/U][/B] cast a spell
action - remove ability begin cast from triggering unit.
         - add ability begin cast to triggering unit.
         - set mana of triggering unit to mana of triggering unit - 5
         - and do whatever you want.
the unit won't stopped

Level 12
MY GOD.
So many people, nobody knows what is he talkin' 'bout.
Base it on Berserk.
End of Thread
Somebody already mentioned Berserk, and i need 6 different spells.

Thx for suggestion Jareph, but that didn't work for me, removing the ability didn't stop the unit from casting it. I even tried removing it and not giving it back, but still, the unit will cast it.
EDIT: It won't finish casting it, but the animations do occur, therefore movement is interrupted. I will try it with "Unit ordered" event

SOLVED, details in first post

Level 15
Use Wind walk for all spells, then change each of the "Order - Turnon/off string" to something different, any spell will do, aslong they dont have the same string. Just keep in mind, that if you want a unit to cast the spell with Carrionswarm string, you will need to use Unit - Order (unit) to (carrionswarm) (point). I dont think carrion swarm works, if you have to make the spell be instant (like warstomp/thunderclap). So use instant spells.

Strings you could use:

Fan of Knifes
Thunder Clap
Warstomp
Immolation
Mana Shield
Defend

Level 15
Are you sure that none of you spells have the same turnon/off string?

If you have two spells with thunder clap string, it will always be the spell at the first position (Left to right) that is casten, unless its on cooldown. Make 100% sure they dont have the same. Give me a sec, and i will post a map showing it.

Edit: Hmm, your right, i think it is because of the spells Raw Value, Windwalk have AW0K, and doesent seem like you can change it. If you can change that, it will work 100%.
Another note is, that somehow, even if both cooldowns was on 0, i managed to get the second spells trigger to work once, cant make it work again, though :/

Level 12
Yes, i know about berserk, but I would need 6 different skills, one of them with point-target. Berserker is one of those skills, but so is Wind Walk, Defend, Fan of Knives and all the other skills mentioned here, so you can see that people know what they are talkin' about.
And since I had to remove buffs separately for each spell, i figured it would be easier using trigger system, which orders the unit to move whenever it casts spell. It works and it only requires 3 lines of trigger code.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If it stops to cast a spell, simply keep it moving with triggers, maybe by some kind of skid system which works when the unit is casting. Then reissue the move order and stop the trigger moving it once it starts moving again (there is a delay to warn you between move order and unit moving based on when the thread comes around to update it).

Level 12
As I already mentioned, I solved the issu using these two triggers:
  • Move order
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting a point
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(move))
          • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(smart))
    • Actions
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation( udg_Unit_moveto[ GetConvertedPlayerId( GetOwningPlayer( GetOrderedUnit() ) ) ] )
      • Set Unit_moveto[(Player number of (Owner of (Ordered unit)))] = (Target point of issued order)
  • Cast
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    • Actions
      • Trigger - Turn off Move order <gen>
      • Unit - Order (Casting unit) to Move To Unit_moveto[(Player number of (Owner of (Casting unit)))]
      • Trigger - Turn on Move order <gen>
So thank you all, you can stop posting here, there are other people that need your help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.