• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can't play gaias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
[SOLVED]Can't play gaias

Hi everyone, I know I played gaias with some of the players here but I recently got a new pc with windows 7 and I was so excited to play gaias with the extension package but turns out that when I started the game I got stuck in the loading screen in both LAN and bnet with and without the package. All video settings are in high and I can play other maps normally.
The weird thing was that when I minimized wc3 with the game started it loaded correctly but, when I loaded my char, the game froze. When I tried again with a different char I minimized wc3 already in the game and couldn't open it again.

I was hoping someone could help me fix this problem, thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Hmm, I can only make assumptions here, but if minimizing helps, this at least points towards your graphics drivers as a possible culprit.

The problem with WC3 is the dated engine using ancient Direct3D and DirectDraw. Maybe you can fix it by running it with a compatibility software (I know that this fixed some very old 2D-games for me). Try software emulation of D3D and DirectDraw first and see if that fixes the problem.

Level 3
Hmm, I can only make assumptions here, but if minimizing helps, this at least points towards your graphics drivers as a possible culprit.

The problem with WC3 is the dated engine using ancient Direct3D and DirectDraw. Maybe you can fix it by running it with a compatibility software (I know that this fixed some very old 2D-games for me). Try software emulation of D3D and DirectDraw first and see if that fixes the problem.
I searched about D3D and DirectDraw emulation but couldn't find out anything so I don't have a clue on how to do it :goblin_cry:

Level 5
Little Tim

He says to uninstall wc3 and reinstall it into your C drive. and afterwards, run wc3 as administrator. on part, the problem could be a UAC Virtualization. though what is your hardware? type of video card and cpu and stuff?

Level 8
Yes, my graphics card drivers are updated, and windowed mode didn't work, this shouldn't be a problem of wc3 since I can play other maps normally

Well usually yes, but you were the one that mentioned tabbing in and out changed some things. Go to your war3 shortcut and in the target field put -window.
e.g. Target: "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Frozen Throne.exe" -window

Some things in gaias are different from your run-of-the-mill warcraft maps, don't be too quick to rule things out just because your other maps run fine. I remember I had a problem before with spider-webs not rendering and it only got fixed when I bought a new video card.

Is this a fresh warcraft install ? Have you tried running old versions of gaias? If an old version works, we can narrow the issue to one of the newer systems, most likely the file reading thing. Try turning off all your antivirus programs and firewalls (just for one test load). Try turning off the superfetch service in windows.

Level 3
Thanks guys for helping me, tried everything you said and turning off the superfetch service worked, so I'll just close the thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.