• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Building using mana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a custom building-type that uses mana as a resource instead of gold and wood. Basically, it's an altar of sacrifice, and it gets its mana every time a unit sacrifices itself, pretty much like a Sacrificial Pit. You can get caster upgrades in this building.

I am stuck with this concept!
I managed to substract the mana cost of an upgrade from the Altar whenever I start researching that upgrade. However, when I start researching another upgrade while the first one is not finished yet, the mana cost is not substracted until the research of the first upgrade is over, because the event "A unit begins research" triggers only when the research has actually started.

Hope I am making this clear!!

I tried to learn from other posts about 3rd resource (such as this topic : http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/gui-custom-resource-harvest-system-1-05-a-225610/) in order to find out how to deal with training units that requires something else than gold and lumber but I couldn't find anything helpful.

any idea to help me solve this?

thank you very much!

Level 29
Easiest way is to trigger everything. If a unit requires mana check when trying to train the unit. There is a unit begins training event.
In the actions use an ITE ( if then else) to check if the player has those resources. If it does not ( in the else block) order the building to stop training that unit and then display a message saying you don't have the required mana to make this unit.

The best way to store and load with efficiency in this manner is to use hashtables keyed to the units type id.

Level 26
The order events do fire:

JASS:
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_ORDER             = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(38)
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_POINT_ORDER       = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(39)
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_TARGET_ORDER      = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(40)
    constant playerunitevent EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_ISSUED_UNIT_ORDER        = ConvertPlayerUnitEvent(40)    // for compat

The event responded order id matches the id of the object you want to enqueue then.

Status
Not open for further replies.