• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Building Jumping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm sure at one point in playing Warcraft 3 yourself or another player you saw was using buildings to jump over obstacles. This is both a request for a system to remove build jumping or if you have dealt with this before and have a solution I would be VERY VERY grateful.

Please, if you have any suggestions regarding this topic please feel free to suggest!

attachment.php

If a builder (Red dot) builds the building next to the walls as so then he will instantly move to the orange dot. This is build jumping

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 189
Level 33
Let me guess, the benefit of this system is to prevent your builder to get trapped within the area ?
But I thought Warcraft III already did that ?
When you try to create a building that collide with your builder, it instantly jumps out of the area and start building it ?

it instantly jumps out of the area and start building it ?
Yes, and if done correctly, can be used to completely avoid other ground units.
You see I am making a TD where the units MUST be able to reach the builder. Only the builder can kill these walls. So this can be abused by "build jumping in" to an otherwise unreachable area.

Level 33
Okay, how do you determine where should the unit build jump ?
Regions ? Points ?

I mean where do you want the unit to build jump ?

I guess the situation in which you draw can't be the same at all the time.

Should the unit must always build jump towards that particular angle and point ?

Or change every single time ? If so, what would determine this "changes" in angle and point ?

No no no. You arent understanding this clearly. No one i've talked to has. I have found a solution to this, though it is not very flexible.
But let me try to explain this 1 last time.
If a builder builds in an area only big enough to support his building, the unit will be moved to the closest pathable point of that structure. Now, if this point is on the other side of a wall... It creates problems. Enemy units cant reach a unit behind a wall.
What I would want done is that if a unit that constructs a structure is too far away from it (meaning he built jumped) that the structure would be removed instantly and the unit would move to the location of the building.

Since starting this thread I have been working really hard to find a simple solution. I found it and it is that explained above.

The main reason im having problems with any of this really is because you can't get the "Constructing Unit" of a structure.

Level 14
I dont understand exactly what you want to do but this is a way to detect constructing unit.
  • Build Start
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Finishes construction
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Add (Constructed structure) to Constructed
  • Build or Repair Check
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is issued an order targeting an object
    • Conditions
      • (Issued order) Equal to (Order(repair))
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Target unit of issued order) is in Constructed) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Triggering Unit = Repairing Unit --------
        • Else - Actions
          • -------- Triggering Unit = Constructing Unit --------

Level 33
Because if we use a Repair ability (not constructing it, but repair a damaged building), it would still be referred to the Builder.

It seems there is no such thing as order string "build" because basically a unit "repairs" a building, not "building" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.