• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Bug Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi there,
I've recently "finished" my quick-save-hack, and as with everything that has the potential to destroy beloved things, I'm turning seriously paranoid using it.
So basically, to verify that this hack is not going to have a bad aftermath, i decided to upload it here and hope for some smart persons to find and point out the (potentially hazardous) bugs in it.
The hack can be found in the Attachments. When testing it, keep the following things in mind:
- Your antivirus may tell you that the hack is bad. Most likely, that's because it's a hack. At least i can not remember putting any virus in there. However, if you don't trust me, i advice you not to use it
- As this is the purpose of this thread, the hack might scramble the file of the map you are saving, so make sure its backed up
- Fun thing i had during the development was that, after showing me a popup saying that it could not open a specific part of the archive, the world editor erased every file in my Warcraft III folder that it could. Every since i lost so many maps and replays, i boot the world editor without admin rights and have a backup of the whole Warcraft III folder floating around. Might be interesting to know.

Short words about the usage:
Run the exe in the root, tick the options you want in the window (every option i hope, as this is a test), click "save" to create a "config" file saving those settings. Clicking "Inject" will try to inject the hack into a running world editor, as will opening the executable with a valid "config" file existing. To change the settings, erase the config file. The hack will need admin rights in order to work.
If you dont want to give it admin rights, open the bat file and insert the path to your worldedit.exe into the desired location. Create the config file as stated above, but instead of opening the executable again or using the inject button, run the bat file instead.

If you know assembler, you might as well look into the scripts folder and directly search for bugs. Would surely be easier to fix :grin:

Oh, and don't be surprised if the second save is faster than the first one. That is because, providing the options are enabled, variables and triggers are cached upon the first save, and if they did not change at the second one, the caches are used instead, which, again, saves a bit time for maps with a lot of variables or triggers.

I hope it doesn't have any dependencies. I don't program all to much, so i don't know much about it, neither how to see what dependencies they have, nor how to statically link stuff etc. I hope you can run it at all :thumbs_up:

Attachments

• quicksave2.zip
    349.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It is a neat hack that can allow for quicker saves. It will cache certain components of the map, and instead of recreating everything each time you save, it will use the previous version (assuming you haven't changed it). Or well, something along those lines. I assume it is a really wonderful tool and will definitely be useful for large maps, esp. for things with a lot of doodads/terrain/imports when all you want to do is compile the script.

I tried running it on my other PC but it returned some registry errors (missing dll). It should be fixed now but I still need to reboot and junk, so I'll hopefully respond later.

Level 5
Weird Issue with xp indeed. It turned out that visual studio 2012 creates files that are incompatible to windows xp by default. (Also, i used a function that doesn't exist on windows xp, so it wouldn't have executed anyways).

Well, i updated the dl in the op. It executes on my windows xp mode xp, though i couldn't test if it actually is capable of hacking and stuff. It had an error with creating output.txt in that version, so if you get some kind of error in that way, consider building the txt manually (call the exe in the script folder with the command line "MainScript.txt") and answer the popup with yes.
Also, if you are getting dll errors - you got them 99% before (stupid me seemingly copied a debug mode exe). If you still get dll errors with this new download, you will probably need to install the visual studio 2012 runtime components (just google "vs 2012 redistributable" and download it from the microsoft homepage). And if you still get them afterwards, than i screwed something up again :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.