• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Both Attacks Enabled: One has Burning Oil, another hasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
From the title itself, I have two units that has both attacks enabled: One has Burning Oil, another hasn't.

The first unit is an air unit. Its first attack can only target air units the second attack can target ground units. Both have different missiles and are artillery types. But when I attack an air or a ground unit, both of its attacks have Burning oil in them and it seems that the attack that the unit is using is its second attack.

I have the burning oil targetting only ground units. So when it attacks ground units, it should shoot the second attack with burning oil and when it attacks air units, it shoots arrows with no burning oil.

Another unit that I have is a ground unit. Its first attack is a melee attack that can only target ground units and its second attack is similar to the first unit but instead, it can only target air units. It has burning oil and it's artillery.

I have the burning oil targetting only air units. So when it attacks air units, it should shoot the second attack with burning oil and when it attacks ground units, it will use its melee attack.

So yeah, I'm having trouble making it work. Anybody has ideas?

I think burning oil target means the units that it can damage...

While any artillery attack caused by the unit that has burning oil can actually trigger it regardless of whether burning oil can damage that unit or not since burning oil is actually a ground target ability [it is targeted on the target location, not on the target itself]...

Level 8
Ok I get the problem with my first unit now but how about my second unit. It uses its melee attack on both of its attack. Its melee attack is its first attack, it can only target ground units, and its range attack is its second attack which can only target air units.

EDIT: In what kinds of attack does the burning oil work anyway? I might find a way around it.
If not, maybe I could just use a target point ability version for burning oil, anyone knows which skill should I use for that? It would be better if I don't use any triggers.

Level 14
I can't make it work cause I have two attack types and they are both artillery. Is there any targetpoint skill in the editor that's almost similar to burning oil? A skill that leaves flame for a few sec.

Liquid Fire (Troll Batriders use this). You should change the missile art and buff art though... Any damage/time-interval ability should be usable here; just change artwork/buffs/icons & what-not.

If you want to stick with Burning Oil, copy the ability & change the targets allowed. Use the Editor text to mark "Air Only" (For the ground-based unit) and "Ground Only" (for the air-based unit) for your reference inside WE. The abilities will appear the same, even though they're just clones.

//\\oo//\\

but isn't liquid fire a unit target ability? Liquid fire's effect attaches to the unit, burning oil's effect attaches to the ground...

For your 2nd suggestion:

he already did that if you read the above posts... and it didn't work,

I have the burning oil targetting only air units. So when it attacks air units, it should shoot the second attack with burning oil and when it attacks ground units, it will use its melee attack.

and I also gave a possible explanation for that... Targets allowed for burning oil means the units damageable by it, but since it is a target point ability it will still fire even if the "target unit" is not damageable since the actual target of burning oil activation is the ground, not the unit...

Level 14
but isn't liquid fire a unit target ability? Liquid fire's effect attaches to the unit, burning oil's effect attaches to the ground...

For your 2nd suggestion:

he already did that if you read the above posts... and it didn't work,

and I also gave a possible explanation for that... Targets allowed for burning oil means the units damageable by it, but since it is a target point ability it will still fire even if the "target unit" is not damageable since the actual target of burning oil activation is the ground, not the unit...

~Then Disease Cloud is his best shot; I reread but still missed any requirement for setting the ground on fire.

~I'm suggesting that he use two separate abilities. The first is the standard and the second is a copy of the first with a different allowed targets list. His posts imply that he used the same ability for each unit and only varied the attack of the unit.

On a side note, why use burning oil against air units only? Is he setting the sky on fire?!? Thematically, if air units are hit I'd expect the ground ones to be screwed too...

//\\oo//\\

Level 8
~Then Disease Cloud is his best shot
Agreed, use the disease cloud from meat wagon (not abomination).
Change the disease cloud's model to burning oil effect (meat wagon's disease cloud is a unit with disease) and then give your "unit" permanent immolation.(Meat wagon's throw disease cloud is easily modified)
If you don't want the cloud to appear all the time, all you need are 2 triggers:

1 dont burn ground
events
-unit is attacked
conditions
-attacked unit is a ground unit equal to true
-attacking unit equal to SKY BURNER
actions
-remove Burn AIR from attacking unit
-add Fake Burn AIR to attacking unit
(fake is Flying Machine Bombs ability that does nothing.make sure the tooltip is the same)

2 burn air
events
-unit is attacked
conditions
-attacked unit is an air (flying?) unit equal to true
-attacking unit equal to SKY BURNER
actions
-remove Fake Burn AIR from attacking unit
-add Burn AIR to attacking unit

Status
Not open for further replies.