• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

BLP Laboratory - what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello. I'm making a small mod for WarCraft III, and I started with a new logo. :p
I edited existing in Gimp, and I converted it back to BLP. But sadly, I can't see any changes in main menu. I though that maybe mpq is corrupted, but I tried with new music - it works. What am I doing wrong, that converting files to BLPs with BLP Laboratory is not working like it should?

Well, remember that BLP's have certain image requirements:
- Must have an alpha channel. (as far as I know, BLP Lab automatically handles this so there should be no problem on that end)
- The image must have dimensions that are powers of 2. (example: 256x256 or 256x512 or 64x64, etc..)

Now, as for changing your menu, there can be a few problems that arise:
- First, make sure that your Warcraft III was closed when you were modifying the MPQ.
- Make sure that you are modifying the correct file.
- You should reopen the MPQ after importing your file to make sure that the file is actually there.

Level 3
Well, remember that BLP's have certain image requirements:
- Must have an alpha channel. (as far as I know, BLP Lab automatically handles this so there should be no problem on that end)
- The image must have dimensions that are powers of 2. (example: 256x256 or 256x512 or 64x64, etc..)

Now, as for changing your menu, there can be a few problems that arise:
- First, make sure that your Warcraft III was closed when you were modifying the MPQ.
- Make sure that you are modifying the correct file.
- You should reopen the MPQ after importing your file to make sure that the file is actually there.

Checked everything, it's fine from my side. What's kinda strange, is converting. When I was converting original logo, file had invisable background (no color), but when I converted it back after changes, it had black background. Is it possible that this can cause a problem?

Yes, you can't use the normal transparency that you make using Photoshop/GIMP. (background eraser tool or whatever)

Instead, you have to make an alpha channel and alpha out the parts that you want to be transparent. Otherwise it will appear as black (or white) when you convert it. For more information on alpha skinning in GIMP, look here:
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=29561

There may also be some tutorials here on it, I haven't checked.

Although, that still might not solve your problem of why the logo does not change. If you don't see any changes, then it is probably using a different file than the one you are using.

Level 3
Hmmm... I tried that, and it's not working. Also, I tried using different programs, and another ways. My friend told me that he once was modding WarCraft III too, and he thinks that there are TWO files for the logo I have to replace. For now, I did replace of War3xLogo.blp in directory UI/Glues/MainMenu/WarCraftIIILogo_exp.

Am I doing something wrong? There is another file? Please, somebody help me - I'm kinda confused with that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.