• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Blizzard games and DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
I think I've tried warcraft III with a friend before in 2006, we couldn't make it work most times though. Sometimes the game sees the other client, but most times it can't, probably because we have the same cd-key lol

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I myself have successfully played 1v1 StarCraft LAN games with a friend on Windows 95 OSR2, using the parallel ports of the PCs. In the mid-late 1990s, one null-modem cable was less expensive (39 FF / 6 €) than two 10MBit Ethernet cards + cable.

We were using a null modem cable for parallel data transmission between two computers (connections: 25-pin D-Sub plug/plug). This 1.8 meter (70.5 inches) long null modem, parallel cable was build by boeder. New games were always created on the most powerful PC, which was a Pentium II @266Mhz iirc. No additional software was required, since W9x already had everything built-in.

Additional testing on other, more powerful pairs of computers, this time for file transfer only (using shared folders), surprisingly demonstrated that the host was always at 100% CPU when copying / moving files from computer to computer. This testing also proved something i knew already: it takes less time to transfer one 100MB file, than to transfer one hundred 1MB files.

... but again, no problem with playing StarCraft on 1v1 LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.