• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better than Lady Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your video bores me. It's just some guy improvising jass. How is it talented? I can name 10 guitarists who impress me more at the moment I'm listening to this.

Why don't you learn some theory, how it works, or even open your mind a little before you start spewing stupid on the internet, the stench is horrendous.

Many metal guitarists take tons of inspiration from Jazz music, some metal is actually very similar to jazz in structure (the more complicated sorts normally) - and learning to improvise over Jazz style chords can really improve your playing in other places too (if anything at least teach you how to use more then just natural minor and major scales and broaden your writing to include more complicated structures like modes or progressions other then 1 3 5 1 with powerchords) - pretty much anything you do in one genre of music feeds into your handle on music as a whole - if you improve as a musician in one form of music, chances are that you're also improving in many other forms too.

Level 7
@Bloodbane7 Improvising jazz doesn't require talent?! Ok, start learning how to play guitar and we'll talk again in like... 15 years when you'll be good enough to properly improvise jazz. Playing jazz is 10x harder than playing metal, and the best metal guitarists have roots in jazz. Fact. Rusty Cooley is just a speedfreak with NO technique other than just "LOOK AT ME I'M FASTER THAN A FERRARI"

@matej yes, Dime's only good solo is in Cemetary Gates, the ones that you mentioned are just mindless chains of notes played at fast speeds - that's all. Also, PLEASE learn how to write properly.

You know why it's x10 harder to play jass? Because it's x10 harder to find entertainment from jass.

And lets see you play better than Rusty Cooley.

Also, saying Dime's only good solo is in Cemetary Gates is a matter of opinion, just as the music style you listen to. Exploding at me because I find no talent in jass because of MY OPINION (notice caps) causes me to attack your music style, thus getting us nowhere.
<I personally find Pantera's best solo being Floods>

I play guitar, I could improvise something better than that to the same beat. It would be heavier, of course.

Other than all this, this thread was started about Lady Gaga, and now we are flaming each other about the best of music styles, which should be reserved to another thread if you truly want to consider speaking your opinion no one else cares about.

Level 11
You know why it's x10 harder to play jass? Because it's x10 harder to find entertainment from jass.

Also, saying Dime's only good solo is in Cemetary Gates is a matter of opinion, just as the music style you listen to. Exploding at me because I find no talent in jass because of MY OPINION (notice caps) causes me to attack your music style, thus getting us nowhere.

I play guitar, I could improvise something better than that to the same beat. It would be heavier, of course.

Other than all this, this thread was started about Lady Gaga, and now we are flaming each other about the best of music styles, which should be reserved to another thread if you truly want to consider speaking your opinion no one else cares about.

i agree.

And after all we are all different and everyone like something else.

Actually, the only flaming is going on because of some incredibly ignorant people who pretty much know nothing about the styles of music they're talking about.

1st off: It's Jazz, not Jass - Jass is a scripting language for wc3
2nd off: Obviously you care enough about other peoples opinions to keep on responding, thus your argument there is invalid. Figures you'd try to change the subject after getting the last word in to give yourself the impression of winning the argument.
3rd off: Going off the impression you've made so far, you'd get lost in the chords in a jazz progression and thus just play random tapping over the root scale in a futile attempt to look impressive
4th off: Jazz is not harder to derive entertainment from, it's harder for you to derive entertainment from because you have a superiority complex for metal - and because of that you've dubbed all other music inferior. So basically you're trying to argue about things you know absolutely nothing about, and from it you're just making yourself look like an idiot because of that. Please stop while you're ahead.

i agree.

Different opinions are fine, you can hate jazz music all you want. It's just no excuse to be ignorant, and then spread said ignorance over the internet. I don't like Lady Gaga's music, but I respect her as a musician because well she gets on stage and performs music, more then most people that go about ranting about how much they hate her music. A genre of music may not speak to you, but that doesn't mean it's not a viable genre of music. Also note that before you comment on how a genres easier to play you should at least, you know..., try to play it yourself/learn how it works? I mean, what BB's doing is essentially like a guy going around telling a bunch of women that child birth is easy and that he could do it no problem.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm not flaming anybody, I'm having a discussion.
I find no talent in jass because of MY OPINION (notice caps)
Skill isn't subjective... Why won't you realize this?..
You're fighting a rock solid fact.

Right now you're the guy claiming this text is red, in your oppinion.
Every decent musician in the entire world just threw up from laughing.
i agree.

Yes, we are all different.
I'm not telling you not to listen to whatever you like.

I'm discussing technical skill, which has nothing to do with how enjoyable music is.
The Ramones hadn't played their instruments for more than a year or so when they released their first album.

In other words, they were not skilled musicians.
However, they managed to compose songs which a great deal of people loved.

Level 10
The problem is not being "better" than Rusty Cooley, because he's fairly bad. It's being "faster". All he does is play incredibly fast licks with no technique behind them whatsoever, just random chains of notes.

Jazz is far older than metal and thus far more popular and many more people find it more entertaining than metal, and even most of us metalheads find it entertaining. Honestly, you can't be called a metalhead. You disgrace the term by having such a limited mind.

Agree with fladdermasken. I totally failed off my chair laughing at your statement about being able to improvise better. You see, you understand the term "improvisation" wrong. A guitarists greatest asset is not his speed, it's his improvisational ability and improvisation doesn't have to be lightning fast. Actually, the faster a solo is, the less melodic it becomes which completely defeats it's purpose - that of being enjoyable and melodic. I like crazy fast solos too, but just because they're lightning fast, doesn't mean they're good.

As fladdermasken said, it's a rock solid fact - the best guitarists out there have roots in jazz. You previously mentioned Marty Friedman. Marty happens to be my favorite guitarist and his roots are completely in jazz.

Saying "this solo is better than the other one" is again, NOT a matter of opinion. Take one of John Abercrombie's, Al Di Meola's or Frank Zappa's solos and compare them to ANY of Dime's solos. I assure you that only one of Zappa's solos is enough to kick the shit out of EACH AND EVERY ONE of Dime's solos.

Let's take a closer approach. Steve Vai - I assure you, none of the guitarists you showed me so far are better than him.

Also, aside from Marty Friedman and Chris Broderick, Megadeth's lead guitarists were mindless shredders. Nothing more.

Seriously, before you start talking shit about something, first make sure you know what you're talking about, otherwise fuck off. Have I made myself clear?

Hope we don't get sacked for spamming this thread...

EDIT: Check attachment - I'm faster than Rusty Cooley and a Ferrari PUT TOGETHER! (Just some random lick really, but totally dead-on to this discussion)

Attachments

• Random Lick - I'm faster than Rusty Cooley! YEY!.mp3
    850 KB · Views: 46
Level 7
Skill isn't subjective... Why won't you realize this?..
You're fighting a rock solid fact.

I beg to differ. Not that you seem to care. Some consider speed skill some don't. Some consider metal skill, some don't. Some consider ja"zz" skill, some don't. Some consider Gaga skill, some don't. "Skill" is a subjective to whatever you make it. I can say I have "skill" at failing at trying to respond to these threads, but someone may agree with me, probably not, but possibly consider it not skillful. Some may consider a painting by a certain artist skillful, some may look at it and say, well that's horrible.

Honestly, you can't be called a metalhead
Seriously? So if I don't like pop I suppose I can't be metalhead either? Really, I find that stupid that another genre of music causes me not to be able to say I like my own. So what if it influenced my genre, why do I have to give a fuck about liking it?

Hope we don't get sacked for spamming this thread...
I hope we do.

1st off: It's Jazz, not Jass - Jass is a scripting language for wc3
Ha, spent too much time staring at a computer screen, I did.

Obviously you care enough about other peoples opinions to keep on responding, thus your argument there is invalid. Figures you'd try to change the subject after getting the last word in to give yourself the impression of winning the argument.
Obviously. Yes I was trying to get the last word. But as we all know, that doesn't work on the hive.

because you have a superiority complex for metal - and because of that you've dubbed all other music inferior.
Say that again. It made me smile :D
Yes I do believe metal is superior. Good luck changing that.

EDIT: Check attachment - I'm faster than Rusty Cooley and a Ferrari PUT TOGETHER! (Just some random lick really, but totally dead-on to this discussion)
This is me, giving, a shit.

Megadeth's lead guitarists were mindless shredders. Nothing more.
You ever heard of this band called Megadeth? They're pretty badass.

"better" than Rusty Cooley, because he's fairly bad. It's being "faster". All he does is play incredibly fast licks with no technique behind them whatsoever, just random chains of notes.
Yet he manages to make those "random chains of notes" and make them sound good. Isn't that what matters?

EDIT:
Right now you're the guy claiming this text is red, in your oppinion..
This text is in red. IMO.

EDIT2:
I'm basicly destroying my hive account right now, trying to argue. So I'm going to shut up now and most likely leave with this quote:
The real problem with this is that your arguing which type of music is better, but music naturally transcends human typifications, its so much more than this. just chill.

@Bloodbane

3015062728_6b27f9a6ae.jpg

Seriously, you're only making yourself look like more of an idiot every single time you continue this.

Level 10
Megadeth happens to be my favorite band.

And no, Rusty Cooley's solos don't sound good. Pointless shredding, no musicality at all.

You can't be called a metalhead because metalheads are open-minded individuals with no boundaries. You, on the other hand, are no such thing.

You're just an ignorant kid. Stop making a fool of yourself. You're not proving anything to anybody other than that you have a very limited mind.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I'm basicly destroying my hive account right now, trying to argue. So I'm going to shut up now and most likely leave with this quote: The real problem with this is that your arguing which type of music is better, but music naturally transcends human typifications, its so much more than this. just chill.
- Swing and a miss -
'You swung the bat and hit yourself in the eye'.

Firstly, you're the one with a superiority complex for metal which you've admitted to yourself.

Secondly, this is so not what we're doing, and that's exactly what you're having trouble realizing.
We're simply informing you that generally playing jazz requires more skill than playing metal,
not that metal as a genre is inferior to jazz.
I beg to differ. Not that you seem to care. Some consider speed skill some don't. Some consider metal skill, some don't. Some consider ja"zz" skill, some don't. Some consider Gaga skill, some don't. "Skill" is a subjective to whatever you make it. I can say I have "skill" at failing at trying to respond to these threads, but someone may agree with me, probably not, but possibly consider it not skillful. Some may consider a painting by a certain artist skillful, some may look at it and say, well that's horrible.
Skill is subjective only if you want to consider the accepted estimation of an entire world as one individual.
Then you could say that this individual's estimation or oppinion represents what skill is.

But really, that doesn't make it subjective to me and you as this above mentioned individual's oppinion will be looked upon as fact by us.
To us, skill is an estimated integer. If your number is higher than someone else's, you're more skilled than this person in that specific area of profession.
This text is in red. IMO.
Is that you giving up? :3

chirac_white_flag.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.