• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Better than Lady Gaga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Metal isn't really mainstream. About 4% of today's youth listens to metal. Mainstream music is what the majority listens to, and last time I checked, 4% wasn't the majority. And many metal bands make music for the sheer joy of making it, and not for the money and popularity like many pop musicians do.

This may appear to be the case, but then why do you reckon she's famous and your everyday composing joe isn't?
Oh gee, I don't know, maybe because not everyone wants to be famous? Not everyone have sponsors either. And some don't like performing on stage in front of millions of teenagers.

I don't listen to Gaga, I probably never will, but to refer to her as talentless is lunacy.
I never said she was talentless. Walking up on stage is a talent in itself. I said she didn't have any real skills, i.e, she is unable to sing well without auto-tune and voice distortion effects. She probably doesn't make the lyrics herself, just like every other pop artist.

Auto-tune, letting alone the fact that it's annoying, is popular and appreciated
It's popular because very few are actually able to sing well.

Auto-tuned voices doesn't necessarily imply that said voice is inadequate.
Oh yes it does. A singer with an adequate voice would be able to sing better without auto-tune. So, a professional singer would sound worse with auto-tune.

"IMO" implies that it is subjective, hence you not finding her music to your liking doesn't render her talentless.
I think you've mistaken my opinion for an argument for why she lacks real skills. I said "imo her music sucks" because I don't like that kind of music. Why she lacked skills was explained afterwards.

Level 13
Metal isn't really mainstream. About 4% of today's youth listens to metal. Mainstream music is what the majority listens to, and last time I checked, 4% wasn't the majority. And many metal bands make music for the sheer joy of making it, and not for the money and popularity like many pop musicians do.
4% is waaaayyy tooo low. Metal is very much mainstream, considering the popularity of such bands as Metallica, Slayer, Slipknot, Disturbed and so forth. Also what do you mean with "today's youth"? You mean youth in developed countries, youth in the whole world or what? If we mean in the western world then way more than 4% listen to metal.

Many pop musicians also make money for the sheer joy of it. You can't just generalise because that's how you see it.

Within metal, even though it's 4 percent, there's still a relatively "mainstream" variety, like Avenged Sevenfold - let's analyze their methods:

-Uses pretty cliche metal images of death and doom for their visual identity
-They follow a pretty standard progression on most of their songs:
--dueling guitar intro
--heavy verse
--soft chorus (this is a pretty large characteristic of most more mainstream metal)
--heavy verse to soft chorus again
--Solo, the main mechanic is normally sweeping
--soft chorus/heavy outro
As you can see, they have a bit of a formula working out which they adhere to in most of their works.
-Pretty standard metal setup going on:
--2 guitarists, one who's pretty talented and 1 that just does rythm
--Bassist with little to no creativity out of droning the root note
--Singer, standard standard lyrical content for metal - mainly death, war and religious imagery
--Drumer that's main device is double bass
Of course a bit of this is standard to producing a metal type sound, like the double bass pedal, but you see they don't push the boundaries much - and that's fine with many of their fans, and people do like hearing whats familiar.
-Of course every band is sure to have something creative, there's a few creative songs on their Self Titled album but overall you're not going to be surprised listening to their music.

I'm not saying they're sellouts, but they do fall into the mainstream category of metal.

Level 22
By today's youth I mean the people on this planet (Terra) who are youth today. And it is 4%, at least a few years ago. Maybe it has increased to 6% or something.

And metal as a genre isn't mainstream, but there is mainstream metal, i.e, what the majority of metal heads listen to. Disturbed is a mainstream metal band.

And there are more metal bands which make music for the sheer joy of it, or to spread a message than pop bands. Especially if you compare popular metal bands against popular pop bands. Disturbed is an example of a metal band which makes music mainly because they enjoy it and not because they earn shitloads of money. Justin Bieber would be an example of a pop artist who wants money and fame.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
And there are more metal bands which make music for the sheer joy of it, or to spread a message than pop bands. Especially if you compare popular metal bands against popular pop bands. Disturbed is an example of a metal band which makes music mainly because they enjoy it and not because they earn shitloads of money. Justin Bieber would be an example of a pop artist who wants money and fame.
Look at that, you're completely biased! Are you sure you didn't mean to say "83% of all statistics are pulled out of thin air."?

Level 13
By today's youth I mean the people on this planet (Terra) who are youth today. And it is 4%, at least a few years ago. Maybe it has increased to 6% or something.

And metal as a genre isn't mainstream, but there is mainstream metal, i.e, what the majority of metal heads listen to. Disturbed is a mainstream metal band.

Just where are you getting your statistics from?

And Metal (as in Heavy Metal) is very much a mainstream genre alongside Nü Metal and Metalcore. The majority of "metalheads" listen to the mainstream metal bands, for the once I've already mentioned a few times. Of course, this depends on who you define as a metal head, but that argument won't go anywhere except dumb elitism.

Actually, when I compare popular metal bands with popular pop BANDS, it seems like metal bands are much more like to tear their own ass in rage because someone pirated their album than pop bands. Now what does that tell you about their aims in making music? I really doubt any succesful musician started music simply because he wanted money. Money and fame can be a part motivation, but I'll still argue that most atleast started their career because they enjoy doing music, even Justin Bieber.

Actually, when I compare popular metal bands with popular pop BANDS, it seems like metal bands are much more like to tear their own ass in rage because someone pirated their album than pop bands

Metallica != most metal bands

Also with metal's image (of course going off of more "mainstream" metal, not all metal bands try to maintain a violent type of image), appearing violent only helps them - so threatening people for ripping their music only helps their image.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
As far as I'm concerned, she's a death growl and a few arpeggios away from metal already.
So is Hillary Clinton.

hillary_clinton_insane.jpg

hillary-clinton.jpg

Level 22
I like how people still don't know what mainstream is when the definition is staring them right in their face.

And my opinions are based on facts. I've never heard a pop song with a proper lyric. It's just "Baby baby ooh, baby baby baby oooh" and "Drugs are awesome" and "I like big fat asses". The lyrics are as simple as you can get them, and they are dumb. Almost all metal songs I've heard have proper lyrics, and they have a message, usually something important. Take f.ex, one of Disturbed's newest songs "Another way to die". If you don't like metal you don't have to listen to it, but the images in music video are kinda important too (very unlike pop songs where there are half-nude girls doing drugs).

And about the ripping thing, metal bands actually work on their songs. They put time and dedication into making them (Yes, metal bands make their own songs. They do not get some random douche to write everything).

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I like how people still don't know what mainstream is when the definition is staring them right in their face.

And my opinions are based on facts. I've never heard a pop song with a proper lyric. It's just "Baby baby ooh, baby baby baby oooh" and "Drugs are awesome" and "I like big fat asses". The lyrics are as simple as you can get them, and they are dumb. Almost all metal songs I've heard have proper lyrics, and they have a message, usually something important. Take f.ex, one of Disturbed's newest songs "Another way to die". If you don't like metal you don't have to listen to it, but the images in music video are kinda important too (very unlike pop songs where there are half-nude girls doing drugs).

And about the ripping thing, metal bands actually work on their songs. They put time and dedication into making them (Yes, metal bands make their own songs. They do not get some random douche to write everything).
So the facts you're basing this on is what you have and haven't heard? Forget about mainstream, obviously you aren't clear on the difference between fact and oppinion. Let me provide you with some facts to support my claim.
  • Gaga's vocals have drawn frequent comparison to those of Madonna and Gwen Stefani, even by renowned musicians and producers.
  • During her early time at Interscope, she worked as a songwriter for fellow label artists and captured the attention of Akon, who recognized her vocal abilities.
  • Gaga writes her own material and has even worked as a songwriter for Britney Spears in the past.
These are actual facts. Not stuff I've told myself to believe because of a misplaced sense of reality.

Level 22
When it comes to pop, I've pretty much heard it all. Why? Because pop is "popular music" and thus is the only kind of music you hear on radio and tv these days.

If it's true Gaga writes her own music then she is one of a kind (when it comes to the popular pop music), because every time I'm forced to listen to pop (radio or some tv show) then in some way or another I'm informed about several things, like "Written by: Hurr, durr, lurr and wurr. Composed by: Herpa derp and Foo bar. Performed by: <insert name of pop artist>". And no, hurr, durr, etc, are not members of the band.

Being the songwriter for Britney isn't a big feat, in fact it proves my point that very few actually write their own lyrics (as opposed to metal bands).

Also, it's not hard to be a songwriter when your lyrics suck anyway.

Excerpt from "Alejandro"

Don't bother me.
Don't bother me.
Alejandro
Don't call my name.
Don't call my name, Fernando.

I'm not your babe.
I'm not your babe, Alejandro.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch. Fernando.
Don't call my name.
Don't call my name, Alejandro.
I'm not your babe.
I'm not your babe, Fernando.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch.
Just smoke my cigarette and hush.
Don't call my name.
Don't call my name, Roberto.

Alejandro.
Alejandro.
Ale-ale-jandro.
Ale-ale-jandro.
Alejandro.
Alejandro.
Ale-ale-jandro.
Ale-ale-jandro.

Don't call my name.
Don't call my name, Alejandro.
I'm not your babe.
I'm not your babe, Fernando.

Don't wanna kiss, don't wanna touch.
Just smoke my cigarette and hush.
Don't call my name.
Don't call my name, Roberto.

Alejandro.

Excerpt from "Unleashed (By Epica)"

(Declining, all color fading)
(Defining, time coming for me)
(Rescinding, my inspiration)
(Receding consciousness)

Back in the day, I can recall that,
My thoughts were unclouded and sage.
There was no black staining the walls of my memories.
Now there's a haze pushing me sideways
And leaving me nothing to gain.
Taking me back, locking me cold in disparity.

Where was I meant to be?
I feel like I'm lost in a dream.
Longing for the day I can be myself.

When I'm free,
When my sun has set,
Release my soul forever.
I'll have no regret,
To be free.
I'll exist again.
No more lost endeavors.
Nothing to contend.
When I'm free.

Color declines,
all that defines me,
Is falling away, far behind.
Nothing to keep me with the time, the here and now

I could have chosen pretty much any other metal lyric, but I felt like being nice to you. That's why I chose one which wasn't too advanced. Many metal bands enjoy adding latin (which is hard as fuck to write as one word can mean many things) as well as English words most people do not understand.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Excerpt from "You Suffer (By Napalm Death)"
You Suffer
But Why?

Excerpt from "Homecoming (By Kanye West)"
I met this girl when I was three years old
And what I loved most she had so much soul
She said, excuse me little homie, I know you don't know me- but,
My name is Windy and, I like to blow trees and,
From that point I never blow her off,
They can come from outta town I like to show her off,
They like to act tough, she like to tow em off,
And make em straighten up their act, cause she know they soft
And when I grew up she showed me how to go downtown
And at nighttime my face lit up so astounding
And I told her in my heart is where she always be
She never mess with entertainers cause they always leave
She said it felt like they walked and drove on me
Knew I was gang affiliated got on TV and told on me
I guess it's why last winter she got so cold on me
She said, Ye keep making that, keep making that platinum and gold for me

[Verse 2 - Kanye West]
But if you really care for her, then you would n-never hit the airport,
To follow your dream, sometimes I still talk to her, but when I talk to her
It always seems like she talking about me,
She said you left your kids and they just like you
They wanna rap and make show beats just like you,
But they just not you and I just got through
Talking bout what she can try to do just not new
Now everybody got the game figured out all wrong
I guess you never know what you got till its gone
I guess this is why I'm here and I cant come back home
And guess when I heard that when I was back home
Every interview I'm representing you making you proud
Reach for the stars so if you fall you land on a cloud
Jump in the crowd, spark you lighters, wave em around,
And if you don't know by now, I'm talking about Chi Town.

See how providing examples might not be the best solution? These are both really wide genres so obviously there are bound to be massive amounts of shit on both sides.

Level 7
Within metal, even though it's 4 percent, there's still a relatively "mainstream" variety, like Avenged Sevenfold - let's analyze their methods:

-Uses pretty cliche metal images of death and doom for their visual identity
-They follow a pretty standard progression on most of their songs:
--dueling guitar intro
--heavy verse
--soft chorus (this is a pretty large characteristic of most more mainstream metal)
--heavy verse to soft chorus again
--Solo, the main mechanic is normally sweeping
--soft chorus/heavy outro
As you can see, they have a bit of a formula working out which they adhere to in most of their works.
-Pretty standard metal setup going on:
--2 guitarists, one who's pretty talented and 1 that just does rythm
--Bassist with little to no creativity out of droning the root note
--Singer, standard standard lyrical content for metal - mainly death, war and religious imagery
--Drumer that's main device is double bass
Of course a bit of this is standard to producing a metal type sound, like the double bass pedal, but you see they don't push the boundaries much - and that's fine with many of their fans, and people do like hearing whats familiar.
-Of course every band is sure to have something creative, there's a few creative songs on their Self Titled album but overall you're not going to be surprised listening to their music.

I'm not saying they're sellouts, but they do fall into the mainstream category of metal.

So by guitarist who just does rhythm are you inferring that rhythm guitars have no talent? Then I'm going to be as bold to say the Megadeth's rhythm guitarist is better than Metallica's lead guitarist. Enough said. All respect to Hammet, but he doesn't match up to Mustaine. AKA - RHYTHM GUITAR

Level 7
I was talking about how they write (the structure) all their songs, not by the actual talent of the guitarist

Who knows? Their bassist (avenged sevenfold, my main example) could be incredibly talented (I SERIOUSLY doubt that though), you'd never know with all that D string droning he does

Alright. Just making sure.

No offense to you bass lovers out there, but I find the bass quite a boring instrument when put in comparison to others. Sure it makes a nice background rhythm, but yeah bass. . .

Level 2
Hello there fellow metalheads.

Instead of a Metal rebellion i propose a new plan.

1. Instead of bashin other metal artists, we need to unite. We cant fight against pop music if we arent even together.

2. Watch more and other metal videos to get it to the top of the youtube vid list

3. Instead of bashing pop, promote metal with logical reasons, not just "METAL RULES!!"

If you like this idea, thumbs it up JUST so people can see it, and spread it if you like it.

1. Instead of bashin other metal artists, we need to unite. We cant fight against pop music if we arent even together.

2. Watch more and other metal videos to get it to the top of the youtube vid list

3. Instead of bashing pop, promote metal with logical reasons, not just "METAL RULES!!"

If you like this idea, thumbs it up JUST so people can see it, and spread it if you like it.

/facepalm..... I am a metalhead, but you make us all sound like assholes. I listen to metal for the music, the drums in particular, not for any other reason. I get enjoyment out of listening to the beat. I am a drummer, and that is what appeals to me, and hence the reason it's what I like.

No offense to you bass lovers out there, but I find the bass quite a boring instrument when put in comparison to others. Sure it makes a nice background rhythm, but yeah bass. . .

And no, bass is not boring, you hear more bass runs in music than you think. My mother plays the bass, and is one of the best bassists I know, as well as a family friend, he can play some stuff on a bass, that is played on electric guitar. So by no means is bass boring.

Level 2
Metal!

avenge seven fold sucks dude.... they arent metal..! they are gay..
Metal artist:
pantera
metallica
slayer
judas priest
hammerfall

this is the true metal...

but alternative rock and grunge are my favorite genre..:goblin_yeah:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39

The sound would be extremely flat without a bass. Never underestimate any instrument.

Bass is used quite differently in metal in comparison to music with more rhythm. In e.g. jazz, it isn't uncommon that the bass is used as a lead instrument. Take Jaco Pastorious for reference.

And even though he's smug as shit, Victor Wooten is incredible. There's no denying it.

Metal's a tad difficult a genre to pull off good bass lines, but it's not like the founders/definers of the current sound really have much to offer basswise, I mean take a look at something more mainstream like A7x or bullet for my valentine and you'll see that the "general" metal sound includes piss poor bass-lines. Still, some bassists are able to pull off some great lines, but they tend to be in the more experimental/alternative side of metal.

Slap bass ftw (1:16)

Fretless bass ftw

Though I do think that people often give Tool's (well Tool in general) too much credit, it's mainly odd meter and complicated rhythms but most of their parts aren't really that difficult to play, regardless they sound great.

Level 2
yeah! lady gaga sucks like justin bieber!

But the bass make the music cool and make the music awsome...

like red hot chille peppers.. there bass are good..
and good night nurse to..

Last edited by a moderator:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Though I do think that people often give Tool's (well Tool in general) too much credit, it's mainly odd meter and complicated rhythms but most of their parts aren't really that difficult to play, regardless they sound great.
Really now, I for one don't think people are giving them enough credit.

They're more than complex rhythms, they find an actual sound within complex rhythms.

That is not easily achieved. :)

Level 22
Want bass guitar awesomeness? Let me present you with metal.

Edit: Just realized they were similar (was in class, so I couldn't listen to see if they were different)

Hurr durr.

Oh, and fladdermasken, when comparing lyrics, you're supposed to get lyrics with equal length.
You're not supposed to search for a metal song with no lyrics and then find a pop song with lyrics :D

Last edited:
Really now, I for one don't think people are giving them enough credit.
They're more than complex rhythms, they find an actual sound in complex rhythms.

That is not easily achieved :)

Well in general they don't get enough credit for their unique sound, but the way their fans worship them is just over the top - I like Justin Chancelor's playing style, it's one of my main influence in bass playing, but I don't think he's the epitome of bassists, especially when there are other, more talented players out there. But really, it's the worship of the singer that's the most annoying, many fans idolize him as a god of music, go to ANY tool video on youtube and you'll see what I mean. Also they'll pretty much accept anything he writes as amazing music, no matter the band he does it with or how it actually sounds - there's a few songs by Pusifer I like, but most of them seem not as well thought out as the other bands he play's with songs imo.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The only genre I'd say isn't commercial is undergound punk/grindcore/hardcore offshoots.
Obviously. It can't be mainstream/commercial and underground at the same time. ._.

The only genre I'd say isn't commercial is undergound punk/grindcore/hardcore offshoots.

Well you also got:
-math rock/anything - most people who listen to mainly commercial music don't do to well with rythm abstraction, or anything out of 4 4, 3 4 or the other standard meters.
-pretty much anything with "experimental" tagged on to it
-ambient/space/spectral music - yeah, it's kinda hard to be mainstream/commercial when your music often doesn't even adhere to standard rules of music
-folk/bluegrass/ethnic
-Sludge Metal
-etc.

There's plenty of non-commercial genres, but they're normally offshoots or really obscure genres.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Oh, and fladdermasken, when comparing lyrics, you're supposed to get lyrics with equal length.
You're not supposed to search for a metal song with no lyrics and then find a pop song with lyrics :D
Hurr hurr,

I play by my own rules :D
-math rock/anything - most people who listen to mainly commercial music don't do to well with rythm abstraction, or anything out of 4 4, 3 4 or the other standard meters.
Ewh, I hate math core. Proper idiots trying oh-so-hard to be recognized as complex and alternative. In reality, the rhythms aren't complex. It's mostly a simple re-appearing pattern.

I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a musician basing quality on how complex his/her rhythms are.

Personally I prefer math rock over like math metal (though I do like Protest the Hero)

I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a musician basing quality on how complex his/her rhythms are.

I just like how the sound is often more unique since it's played in a fashion most music ignores.

Hmmm I also forgot Post rock/metal in the other post

Level 7

avenge seven fold sucks dude.... they arent metal..! they are gay..
Metal artist:
pantera
metallica
slayer
judas priest
hammerfall

this is the true metal...

but alternative rock and grunge are my favorite genre..:goblin_yeah:

You don't make much sense kid.

And in regards to all those who are posting videos and trying to show bass has talent or something like that. I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying "IMO" it's boring and that's my un-change-able opinion. I don't want to fight your opinion because I don't care. In fact I shouldn't have said anything lol. IMO the bass makes the sounds thud, thwack, dup, thud because the strings are so thick and you don't have that variation in sound.

EDIT:
You want even MORE guitar awesomeness?
ERUPTION BRO!

I heard once that Eddie can't play that solo exactly the way he played it for the first time in the studio. He improvised a solo and then had to go back and re-learn it after playing. I'm not sure on how true that is, but I think it's pretty cool.

Well the thing is, regardless of how unchangeable your opinion is, it's flat out wrong and completely arrogant. It's sort of like saying you don't like guitar because it's only capable of heavily distorted hard rock riffs, that may be an opinion, but in this case that opinion is completely false, even if the holder believes it or not.

Level 7
Well the thing is, regardless of how unchangeable your opinion is, it's flat out wrong and completely arrogant. It's sort of like saying you don't like guitar because it's only capable of heavily distorted hard rock riffs, that may be an opinion, but in this case that opinion is completely false, even if the holder believes it or not.

Yeah I know, but I had one of those stupid reply moments where "OH I SHOULD TYPE ABOUT THIS." lol. Just disregard it.

Level 12
I don't like Gaga's musical taste, but I do like how she's trying to step away from the black and white scene of "play music, shoot boring movie, aquire money, get drunk, write music, play music". She's trying something that only 1 person's done before, MJ.

Level 27
I don't like music, that's why i listen to metal.

Oh and if were in a fucking lyrical war take this;

The uncreative juices flow from all but a selective few
and even those they tend to be wasted,
you have taken pride in a lifeform that you think you know
but what you do not know is it's rotting,
it is so unfortunate that this is how our world must be
but why must i accept reality, is this reality?
how can i exist amongst you people when i feel this way
when all that seems so wrong is everywhere,

A world without substance feeling so superior
i am discontent with lies and with ineffective lives,
should i grieve for mankind or live out my life
to be free of pain i'll want it back again,
so to be one with man i must be false to myself
any effort's futile for my life is just mine,
i have visions of worlds that are unparalleled
my attempts are in vain to walk this earth without shame,
for being human,

This is my reality and you do not have to accept it
you are only human with excuses and complaints,
couldn't you be something greater come on now you know the answer
you are so absorbed with your own pathetic lives,
why should i feel pity for you i don't think i know the answer,
have you ever thought about opening your closed eyes,
what is it that you're afraid of, don't you want to see yourself,
couldn't bear to see yourself as i see you.

Take a look at the lyrics first, then listen to the song that takes only one minute and eighteen seconds :D

Status
Not open for further replies.