• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beginning Iconmaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So, I needed an icon like Cleric's Holy Lance from Warcraft 1, but didn't feel like requesting, and decided to give it a try and make one myself. And I think it turned out good, for the first freehand icon I ever made, but I need C&C from impartial and grumpy people, if I'm to improve.
Here's what I tried to replicate WC1HolyLance[1].gif
Here's what I made HolyLanceWC1.jpg
And here's what I made right afterwards to test that fire technique BurningBlade.jpg
(sword is from WC3 beta, I just added fire)

Thoughts and criticism?

Level 28
Your technique to add fire is not bad tbh. Can turn out really useful depending on what you want, and the sword from wc3 beta proves it (however you drew fire over the icon borders - the bottom and the left borders - which should be avoided, hehe). About thoughts and criticism, I don't have much, but you can always take a look at some Blizzard icons to see how they draw their fire and try to imitate, since you based your technique on trying to replicate a very pixelated icon from wc1 =P

Level 9
So, it's me again, and I made some more icons for practice!
Now these really have some serious problem, I can see that, but I can't put a finger on them. I have no idea what to fix to make them stop feeling "off", so I'll need some serious C&C here.
I can upload .pdn files if that'll help.

By the way, if you guess the game I'm remaking icons from, I'll give you +rep, hehe.

EDIT: Hm, looking at these from another computer with probably different color balance I see that colors are way off from what I actually drew... or maybe its Hive screwing things up. Just keep in mind that if it looks WAY oversaturated and cartoony, it should be tad less saturated.

Attachments

• AcidStorm.png
    AcidStorm.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 52
  • BurningBloodSmall.png
    BurningBloodSmall.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DelayedFireball.png
    DelayedFireball.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 59
  • GateNew.png
    GateNew.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 57
  • MagicMissileNew.png
    MagicMissileNew.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Level 6
Dota 2 Workshop - Character Art Guide - Dota 2 - Workshop - Knowledge Base - Steam Support

start there, your overal value patterns are not always on point (diffuse) and the use of complementing colors is what make them feel wanting i'd say. You're tending to use a lot of black, While blizzard themselves tended to stay away from that color as much as possible except when the character design really wants it. But even then they tend to favor darker grey/blue/purples. A lot of the rules for model design is also an integral part of overall design.

Your magic missile icon shows the best promise but you need to put a little bit more emphasis on it's greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.