• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Beginner, Is there script files for the overall AI and individual unit AI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hi All,

As you can see this is my first post on these forums. I am currently working on my university dissertation and am looking into AI cooperation within an RTS style game. I am interested in using warcraft three to model these but i have a few questions regarding the AI implementations. I will say that anything i produce i will try and contribute to AI tutorials on here as they seem to be somewhat lacking.

First of all, is it possible to have script files for each individual AI unit (a orc grunt for example) to tell him individually where to go and when to attack etc? Also is it possible to have an AI class that manages all of these units so that they can "communicate with each other".

I have quite a bit of experience with scripting so the coding shouldn't be a problem, its just the limitations of the engine that i am curious about.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr can individual AI units (a footman) have a script file that dictates movement, attacking etc as well as having an AI that manages the whole army of these footmen?

Level 21
Hi All,

As you can see this is my first post on these forums. I am currently working on my university dissertation and am looking into AI cooperation within an RTS style game. I am interested in using warcraft three to model these but i have a few questions regarding the AI implementations. I will say that anything i produce i will try and contribute to AI tutorials on here as they seem to be somewhat lacking.

First of all, is it possible to have script files for each individual AI unit (a orc grunt for example) to tell him individually where to go and when to attack etc? Also is it possible to have an AI class that manages all of these units so that they can "communicate with each other".

I have quite a bit of experience with scripting so the coding shouldn't be a problem, its just the limitations of the engine that i am curious about.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

tl;dr can individual AI units (a footman) have a script file that dictates movement, attacking etc as well as having an AI that manages the whole army of these footmen?

In theory it is possible, but in that case you must note, that each player can only give out 1 order per frame.

Level 1
In theory it is possible, but in that case you must note, that each player can only give out 1 order per frame.

ok, that's interesting. what do you mean by an order? one command to heal an alli for example? or a movement command?

Level 21
ok, that's interesting. what do you mean by an order? one command to heal an alli for example? or a movement command?

Those micro commands that movement involves, but also the larger order, like the move order itself. I would counter this by simply checking for the unit's current order and if it is the same that I want to order, then not do anything.

it is possible to create a simple ai.
There are ai systems of ais here in the site but i dont think it is smart enough.
Smart ais are a lot of work to do.
Actually there are two ways:
1.using the ai editor and experimenting it by sneaking up inside the ai file it produces
W.you have to code by yourself.

Due to my current state,i cant show you the systems which were a sucess.

The smartest ai i have ever seen coded in trigger editor was coded by buffmeplz and pleasebugmenot which were coded for the game DotA.

I suggest studying first the jass and vjass structure and codes syntax so you can make it by yourself :D
I believe that submitting a smart ai will receive the highest award of resource qualitity:the director's cut

If you have any questions,feel free to ask people here :D

Hope i helped yah

Btw,enjoy your stay here in Hive

Status
Not open for further replies.