• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BB code for map/resource desciptions?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
As you all know, the BB code interface is immplemented into the forum and comments, but we don't have it while making the resource and, what's the most immportant, map descriptions. Of course, you can just remember the BB code which is not that hard, but as we all know this might be a little bit... confusing... plus immplementing BB code might give these benefits:
-Easier to make good descriptions, which means this might increase the amount of well made descrptions.
-Encouraging the noobs: Most of noobs that think that Hiveworkshop is like a epicwar, only there are forums here too, will try to imitate the descriptions of other, more succesful maps, which will lead to the better descriptions, esspecially since it won't be so problematic to make them better.
-Once again about newbies: Some people (sometimes even not newbies) might not know that BB code is supported in resource descriptions.
-Our current description window is nothing but just a box to write text in, it doesn't look very immportant because of what people don't understand the immportance of the description.

Of course, I understand that because of website limitations or because it's not such a big necesearity it won't be very practical to immplement it, so there are other ways too:
-We can make some kind of small notification under the description text box, something like "want to make your description more intresting? Use BB code!".
-Some kind of "Go advanced" function just like with the posts.

this is my suggestion. Of course, some might find this suggestion just a waste of time or non-practical enough for THW, but it's just a suggestion to the THW community and I'll be grateful to hear your comments about my idea!

Level 9
I think it'd be a bad idea, wouldn't you get loads of people uploading poor quality maps with really brightly coloured and giant font size descriptions?

Where is the matter if atleast the describ looks nice:con:

at most people which dont have the patiene to make a good quality map, laso dont have the patience to make a propper describ.

Level 11
Why isn't resizing images allowed? Would make my posting so much easier, quicker and better looking.

e.g: [IMG=16x16]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/1/icons_835_btn.jpg[/IMG]

Yours,
Chizume

Level 11
Agreed.

Actually I just sat for like two hours+ to get the icons the correct size for this thread. Had to download them from their locations here at the hive > then resize them all in Paint one by one (because I don't have PS or any other neater image editing software here) > then reupload them using ImageShack > copy all links and paste them into my already huge BBcode.

Instead of just: Copy the links and paste them into my BBcode using my example earlier in this thread.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Resizing probably is not allowed for safety reasons. If someone destructive entered an insane size value into the field you could probably have your browser crash when trying to open it. Just like it can help reduce HD screenshots to be forum friendly, it can also make LD screenshots forum unfriendly by enlarging them to a stupid size.

I do agree that a post width auto size image tag would be nice as it would stop the side scroll bars from images while allowing large pictures. There is some way to thumbnail images but I keep frogeting it.

Resizing probably is not allowed for safety reasons. If someone destructive entered an insane size value into the field you could probably have your browser crash when trying to open it. Just like it can help reduce HD screenshots to be forum friendly, it can also make LD screenshots forum unfriendly by enlarging them to a stupid size.

I do agree that a post width auto size image tag would be nice as it would stop the side scroll bars from images while allowing large pictures. There is some way to thumbnail images but I keep frogeting it.

Just make it so (if (entered dimension > image's dimension) then (use image's dimension) else (use entered dimension)). Simples.

Nah it is same to me with or without BB Code link or such things!

Map Descriptions will still be poor because users are lazy!
I posted 10000 links to different maps with nice descriptions and tutorials about it, comments how to improve etc etc, and new users just upload map and don't give damn about map description!

But maybe map description can use:
Message Editor Interface -> Enhanced Interface: Full WYSIWYG Editing

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

We already have BBcode for resources.. we don't need to clutter the upload form with small BBcode buttons and shit like that. It's easy to write them manually, that's what they're for.. to make it easier to write as opposed to HTML formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.