• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Batch files and overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So i have a problem

Overclocking my processor (E8400) from 3.00 Ghz to 3.60 or maybe 4.00

Last time i overclocked my processor files became corrupted, while i tested the overclocked configuration with a program which was recommended for doing such a thing (it was a tutorial) from a website i trust (programs named was Super PI). The tests came out okay nonetheless file corruption occured and i had to reinstall my OS just incase... (Tempratures were fine btw i use a ASUS Triton 81, they are designed for i7's. It didn't go over 60 degrees at 4.00 Ghz while running a stress test) Anyways, how do i overclock this thing safely?

Anybody knows, please help me out.

Issue 2 has been solved btw...

Last edited:
Level 4
I would advise not to rely on batch program/shortcut, but use a priority-saver program, like Prio - a free extension to Task Manager. Main module is designed to save your Priority, Processor Affinity settings and also check loaded processes for integrity to potentially counter virus activity, by checking if they have digital signature. Other selectable-on-installation modules are designed to monitor loaded Service and TCP/IP activity. Not to mention the possibility to directly check the location of .exe files the processes are linked to.
A very handy dandy tool found at: http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html
P.S.: Priority of some programs can be changed by using shortcut's command line properties (for instance adding "-high" (without quotes) would set the application to work in High-Priority). But not all, so I would advise to check this firsthand.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I'd assume it to be safer and easier to overclock your CPU using the built-in BIOS options. OCing from 3GHz to 4GHz sounds a bit rough, it will definitely shorten the lifetime of it, but if your cooling system can keep it cool, I guess it's not dangerous for your other components.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Oh right, when I read the title and your post, I made the assumption you had used some weird Batch script to OC your CPU, so I thought I'd mention the more direct approach.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you had to increase voltage, your processor may have shortened life due to the extra stress.

Are you sure you really needed to OC? It is only good to OC if you will noticably gain anything from it. For example OCing my I7 processor would be pointless as the games and tasks I perform run perfectly as it is.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I guess it's worth to mention that OCing your CPU when RAM and/or GPU are weaker will probably not increase game performance because they will act as choke points.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It curropted your files means it is not running fine at that clock rate. It must be performing occasional logic errors with some instructions as not all instruction paths have the same physical distance so the propergation delay of them is different. What limits the maximum clock rate is the capacitence of the actual semi conductors and the propergation delay, thus why smaller is faster.

Also make sure your RAM and motherboard can handle such clock rates.

Level 13
I need help with overclocking. I ain't sure how to do it, and i am afraid to do something stupid wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.