• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Basic knowledge of Warcraft III : The Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
This following topic will review all basic information about the resources of Warcraft 3.
This information should be known before playing.
source : www.battle.net

Resources

Raising an army and researching new weapons of war is an expensive endeavor. Soldiers demand Gold, and buildings must be constructed from Lumber. Creating and maintaining a thriving economy is vital to ensuring your success on the battlefield.

Each race gathers resources slightly differently, although they all must build workers with which to mine Gold and harvest Lumber. Some workers must gather and then return to their respective Town Hall buildings, while other races' workers use magic to move resources without needing to physically carry it back. All Gold and Lumber is taken to the appropriate building of each race. Human Peasants and Orc Peons can deliver Lumber to special mills, while Undead Ghouls can deliver wood to their Graveyards.

Once you have Gold and Lumber in your reserves, you can purchase units, construct buildings, or buy upgrades. You can also give resources to your allies in team games by clicking on the Allies Tab at the top of the screen.

Players start with 500 Gold and 150 Lumber.

gold-sm.gif
Gold

Gold is the main resource in Warcraft III. Gold is required to create new buildings, train units, and research upgrades. Gold is also required at Neutral Buildings to hire mercenaries, buy items, or activate special Neutral Building features. Players need to collect a steady stream of Gold to ensure their success. Whenever money is tight, expand to additional Gold Mines.

Gold is mined in different ways depending on the player's race. Humans and Orcs use work units to carry Gold from the Mine to their "Town Halls." The Night Elves' Tree of Life entangles the Gold Mine and drains the Gold out of a Mine with the use of Wisp workers. The Undead uses Acolytes to mine Gold. Five Acolytes surround a Gold Mine and extract Gold automatically using magic.

There is a "Gold tax" in place, known as Upkeep which is activated as players create more units. As players create more units, less Gold is recovered from the Gold Mine. Try to gain additional Gold by taking over additional Gold Mines to help balance this tax out.

Creeps or other players often guard Gold Mines. Players must decide whether risk of battle is worth the gain of the additional mine. If another player attacks while your forces are engaged or dying to Neutral Units, you may not have the forces to defend yourself. It's best to wait until you can afford to make an attack on multiple fronts. The decision is a gamble; it could pay off or it may cost you dearly.

When a mine you are using is low on Gold, you will receive an advisory warning that the Gold Mine is about to run out, and the minimap will ping the location of the mine. You will also receive a message when a Gold Mine is depleted. A mine is considered low on Gold at 1500.

lumber-sm.gif
Lumber

Lumber is harvested from the abundant forests that inhabit all but a few regions in the realm. The uses for Lumber are nearly infinite. Once a tree has been felled and returned to the community, it is processed and made ready for use as Lumber. Craftsmen then use this material to build many different structures as well as certain weapons and machines of war. Lumber may also be used in the research and construction of strange new devices or by those adept in the arcane arts to aid them in their magical studies.

Sharing Resources

Players in Multiplayer games can share resources with other players in the game via the Allies menu. Simply click on the resources next to the player's name to transfer resources to that player. A trading fee is charged with each transfer depending on the Upkeep of the player receiving the resources.

When an allied player leaves the game an indicator will pop up and will now appear in the top right of the screen indicating how much resources that player has. Make sure you give your allies all of your resources before leaving the game. You can transfer resources to dropped players' towns but you cannot make those dropped players towns transfer resources back to you.

Start The Economy

Gold
It is important at the beginning of a game to get your economy rolling. This means training workers to harvest Lumber and build buildings. Continually train workers in a steady succession from the beginning. Once you have enough workers, stop training. You will find that you may need additional workers if you need to build several buildings at once, you start building units or researching upgrades that require a lot of Lumber or when you expand to another Gold Mine.

Night Elves and Undead only need 5 workers on each Gold Mine. Any more units placed on the Gold Mine will be wasted. Orcs and Humans may need more than 5 workers when the Town Hall (or Great Hall) is placed too far away from the Gold Mine.

Out of Gold
If you find yourself in a situation where your Gold Mine has ran out, you're out of Gold, and you don't have an additional expansion there are some options:

All Races
Use your army to kill some Creeps. The Creeps will generate Gold which you can use to build a new Town Hall.

Orcs and Humans
You will need to "long distance mine". Instruct your Peons and Peasants to travel to the next closest Gold Mine. Gather some Gold and walk it all the way back to your Town Hall. Continue this until you have enough to build a Town Hall at a new Gold Mine.

Orcs
If you have researched the Pillage ability you can attack enemy buildings for resources.

Night Elves
Uproot your Tree of Life and walk it to the next closest mine. You may wish to research Nature's Blessing before walking there so that the Tree of Life can get there much faster. You should do this with every Tree of Life once they have mined out a Gold Mine.

Undead
Undead players should unsummon some of their less important buildings to get enough Gold to create a new Haunted Gold Mine.

Lumber
Be careful not to harvest too much Lumber. If you are limited on food and find yourself with too much Lumber, kill off some harvesting workers to free up food. Some units require Lumber to produce. If you build a lot of these units you may find you need to place additional workers on harvesting Lumber.

--

Last edited:
Level 32
The information included in this post, while rather basic, is nonetheless still very helpful (and useful) especially for beginning Warcraft III players.

I believe that this entire forum is essentially an ongoing tutorial that all players should review and understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.