• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Basic Jass Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi, I thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread. I found those resources helpful, but I have some other questions.

1. Should I learn Jass or vJass or both? I read somewhere that its possible just to learn vJass. If both should I focus on one then move on sequentially?

2. What are the advantages of learning one over the other?

3. Do I want this: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90999? Does it work with the latest version of Warcraft 3?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Level 17
Hi, I thought I'd bump this instead of creating a new thread. I found those resources helpful, but I have some other questions.

1. Should I learn Jass or vJass or both? I read somewhere that its possible just to learn vJass. If both should I focus on one then move on sequentially?

2. What are the advantages of learning one over the other?

3. Do I want this: http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=90999? Does it work with the latest version of Warcraft 3?

Thanks a lot for any help.
1. vjass is just jass with some more advanced components
2. vjass is more practical
3. yes this is a very good tool perfect for someone who is learning

Level 7
1. vjass is just jass with some more advanced components
2. vjass is more practical
3. yes this is a very good tool perfect for someone who is learning

Thanks a lot! Do i need the new gen pack to even use vJass, or do it simply put the code in Wc3? Sorry for newbie questions.

Video tutorial series in my sig

I noticed that earlier! I'll definitely take a look at that later when my internet decides it wants to not suck.

Level 15
Level 17
Huh, since vJass, Zinc, cJass or whatever are just jass preprocessors, in the end it's still jass, so it seems silly to learn vJass before jass.

It's not like jass is hard to learn anyway, except the function names because there is not only one reliable but several ones.
Just as an example sometimes it's Remove... and other times Destroy...

In addition of the JassNewGenPack i recommend also jasscraft, it's really useful to find functions and browse through jass scripts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.