• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Barren Wars V1.0

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Barren Wars V1.0
Brought to you by TheDarkMandible

The Story[color]
The Plane of Tears is in trouble. An army known as the Blood Legion come from the land called Andura and cut through anything that gets in their way. The Blood Legion attack mercilessly and within days the Plane of Tears is reduced to a Barren Wasteland. The defenders, warriors of the Chosen Empire, must make what could possibly be their very last stand...

Summary of the map gameplay/objectives
Player 1 (The Blood Legion) must conquer the Plane of Tears while Player 2 (Blue) must defend it.
There are three game modes. Player 1 can choose at the beginning which type you which to play
King of the Hill
Hold the centre point for a certain amount of time to win. If the player moves all his units out of the centre they will still get points until the other player enters it.
Normal
Melee conditions. Destroy the enemies base to win. Utilize the siege weapons to make this task a lot easier. Note that this is the only game mode siege weapons can be used in.
Capture The Flag
Get into the enemies base, steal their flag with your hero, and make it back in one piece to score a point. Get 3 points to win

There is a skippable tutorial at the beginning but I will post a very short version here.

Everything is done in the usual Warcraft III style.
Units - select a building and click on the icon
Buildings - upgraded by, again, clicking the icon. The training building can be upgraded for free but requires the HQ to be upgraded first.
Resources - Slightly different. You gain gold over time and by killing creeps.

Map features
-Much better terrain (Thanks to meatfactory who made the template that this map is based in. At least I think it was meatfactory...)
- Items and Heros, unlike the other version.
- A (very basic) Custom Loading screen
Miscellaneous Info

-Musketeer by Lord_T
-T51b by l0w_kwaliti
-Robot by jigrael
-Supcom Tank (Sacred Assault Tank) by Mr Bob
-Supply Depot (Outpost 4) by killst4r
-Construction Yard (Base 4) by Illidan(Evil)X
-Guardsman Medic (Teir 4 Magician) by BurningDragoon
-Music (Decisive Battle) from Warriors Orochi 2 (PSP/UK)
-Sevion for the Tooltip Creator.
-roocey for Beta Testing the original
-Kobas for pointing out errors and bad things in the original
-meatfactory for the terrain (?)
-Tjordell for Triggering the Capture the Flag Game mode and cleaning up the other triggers.
-TheSilent for his Icon (Technological Ultimate)
-Juan_Ann for the Demonic Boots icon
-StyxaneZ for the Demonic Blade icon (Blooddrinker)
-Anachron for the Orb icon
--BerZeKeR- for the Berserker Gloves Icon
-I cannot find who did the Soul Plate Icon or Dark Helm Icon but thanks to them anyway.

If I have left you off this list then please tell me and I will add you.

Update 1.0
-Reduced file size. It is now hostable on battle.net.
-Followed keals advice and merged some triggers.
-Increased Building HP
-Tutorial can be skipped.

WORKING ON THE RESTART OPTION NOW

Keywords:
Forest Wars, Empire Earth, Tiers, History, Future, Victorian, Cave Men, Neanderthals, Medieval/Warcraft, Space & Aliens
Contents

Barren Wars V1.0 (Map)

Reviews
18:34, 23rd Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
I am sorry to say this, but you absolutely have no knowledge of the world editor and battle.net 1.0.
If you want users to be able to host the map on battle.net, then the file size must be under 8.00mb.
The next thing is the triggers:
  • Music 1
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 0.01 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Sound - Set music volume to 0.00%
  • Starting R
    • Events
      • Time - Elapsed game time is 2.00 seconds
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Player - Set Player 1 (Red) Current gold to 20
      • Player - Set Player 2 (Blue) Current gold to 20
These 2 triggers could be merged to increase speed and it's more efficient I guess.

Next:
  • Player 1
    • Events
      • Time - Every 2.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
      • P1_KOTH_Points Greater than or equal to 600
    • Actions
      • Unit - Pause all units
      • Trigger - Turn off KOTH Point Giving <gen>
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of Player 1 (Red)) + ( has reached 600 points and is therefore the winner. Congratulations + (Name of Player 1 (Red))))
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Game - Victory Player 1 (Red) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
      • Game - Defeat Player 2 (Blue) with the message: You have lost...
  • Player 2
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • P2_KOTH_Points Greater than or equal to 600
    • Actions
      • Unit - Pause all units
      • Trigger - Turn off KOTH Point Giving <gen>
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of Player 2 (Blue)) + ( has reached 600 points and is therefore the winner. Congratulations + (Name of Player 2 (Blue))))
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Game - Victory Player 2 (Blue) (Show dialogs, Show scores)
      • Game - Defeat Player 1 (Red) with the message: You have lost...
You could merge these 2 by using IF THEN ELSE actions.

Same here:
  • Player 1 Victory
    • Events
      • Unit - Base : Tier 1 0003 <gen> Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Defeat Player 2 (Blue) with the message: Defeat!
  • Player 2 Victory
    • Events
      • Unit - Base : Tier 1 0001 <gen> Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Defeat Player 1 (Red) with the message: Defeat!
-----
  • Player 1 Capture
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • P1_CTF_Points Equal to 3
    • Actions
      • Unit - Pause all units
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of Player 1 (Red)) + ( has captured the flag 3 times and is therefore the winner. Congratulations + (Name of Player 1 (Red))))
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Game - Defeat Player 2 (Blue) with the message: You have lost...
  • Player 2 Capture
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • P2_CTF_Points Equal to 3
    • Actions
      • Unit - Pause all units
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: ((Name of Player 2 (Blue)) + ( has captured the flag 3 times and is therefore the winner. Congratulations + (Name of Player 2 (Blue))))
      • Wait 5.00 seconds
      • Game - Defeat Player 1 (Red) with the message: You have lost...
---------------------------

There are just too many things you could have done more efficiently, I suggest you read some GUI tutorials.

I'm gonna re-check this as it is re-pending and Ralle wants a re-review.

Review: Unable to be hosted on battle net due to the fact that it has 9mb. It is better that you have no music if its gonna be so high. Also, the map is tiny. You can always go to scenario - map size and camera bounds. Also, explanation at beginning takes too long there should be a button to skip it. Also, increase the hitpoints of the 2 buildings because they die so easily. Also, you should insert a restart option so we can replay the game. I did like the terrain though. I also liked the models and music.

Voting for: Approval once you have done all my suggestions.

Level 4
I'm gonna re-check this as it is re-pending and Ralle wants a re-review.

Review: Unable to be hosted on battle net due to the fact that it has 9mb. It is better that you have no music if its gonna be so high. Also, the map is tiny. You can always go to scenario - map size and camera bounds. Also, explanation at beginning takes too long there should be a button to skip it. Also, increase the hitpoints of the 2 buildings because they die so easily. Also, you should insert a restart option so we can replay the game. I did like the terrain though. I also liked the models and music.

Voting for: Approval once you have done all my suggestions.

-It was under 4mb before I added the speech for the tutorial so I will take it out.
-Map size is meant to be tiny and I didn't do the terrain anyway.
-I had a feeling the tutorial was too long.
- I'll give the buildings a hitpoint increase.
-Restart option will be added. Eventually.

And Keal. Your right, I hardly have any triggering knowledge compaired to other hive members, but as for the Battle.net problem I could not remember the exact size. I at least knew it was under 10mb.
That's the problem with STML.

Your description is really bad, no one will download your map if they don't know what to do or what to expect to find in your map!

Let me show ya something!

Map name
Barren Wars
Name of the creator(s)
TheDarkMandible
Current Version of the map
There are three game modes
King of the Hill
Hold the centre point for a certain amount of time to win. If the player moves all his units out of the centre they will still get points until the other player enters it.
Normal
Destroy the enemies Base to win.
Capture The Flag
Get into the enemies base, steal their flag with your hero, and make it back in one piece to score a point
Map features
-Much better terrain (Thanks to meatfactory who made the template that this map is based in. At least I think it was meatfactory...)
-New unit class, The Magician/Healer.
Miscellaneous Info
Thanks to...
-Musketeer by Lord_T
-T51b by l0w_kwaliti
-Robot by jigrael
-Tjordell for Triggering the Capture the Flag Game mode and cleaning up the other triggers.
-I cannot find who did the Soul Plate Icon or Dark Helm Icon but thanks to them anyway.

Update 1.0
-Increased Building HP

TheDarkMandible Presents

Barren Wars V1.0
Created by TheDarkMandible

Map name
Barren Wars
Name of the creator(s)

TheDarkMandible
Current Version of the map

There are three game modes
King of the Hill

Normal

Destroy the enemies Base to win.
Capture The Flag

Get into the enemies base, steal their flag with your hero, and make it back in one piece to score a point
Map features

-New unit class, The Magician/Healer.
Miscellaneous Info

Thanks to...
-Musketeer by Lord_T
-T51b by l0w_kwaliti
-Robot by jigrael

Update 1.0

-Increased Building HP

Your description is poor even in improved form because you still miss:

Map Info:
Explain even more what is goal in your map!
How to play what to do!
Features:
/
Screenshots and Videos:
Post some pictures about epic terrain, gameplay, awesome spells etc etc
Change Log:
/
Credits:
/
Author's Notes:
Post something more about your map (just like that working on restart stuff), useful links etc etc...

Improve this description first, so I can review your map!

Level 6
Hmmm....Reviewing it tomorrow.
You can make an AI.
You just don't know how and just choose not to learn.

Anyways, if the description doesn't meet the requirements we can reject your map without ever even having to download it, seriously. It's more important than people realize.
And it's a rule, either way.

Will edit this tomorrow.

Level 4
Hmmm....Reviewing it tomorrow.
You can make an AI.
You just don't know how and just choose not to learn.

Anyways, if the description doesn't meet the requirements we can reject your map without ever even having to download it, seriously. It's more important than people realize.
And it's a rule, either way.

Will edit this tomorrow.

*sigh* Description sorted to what I think is ok (after looking on the resource submission rules it only said about having an appropriate description about what the map is about.)

The See bottom of post about the AI.

PLEASE TEST THE MAP AND LEAVE THE DESCRIPTION FOR ME TO SORT OUT IN MY OWN TIME!

EDIT : Giving up, I can't be bothered anymore if I am going to have everything rejected here as well as in "real life". Besides, I'm getting starcraft 2 now. I might as well just close my account but I have no idea how, except for contacting Ralle.

Level 16
*sigh* Description sorted to what I think is ok (after looking on the resource submission rules it only said about having an appropriate description about what the map is about.)

The See bottom of post about the AI.

PLEASE TEST THE MAP AND LEAVE THE DESCRIPTION FOR ME TO SORT OUT IN MY OWN TIME!
You acted so arrogant and smartass. People already helped you and Kobas even wasted his time to give a review. Learn to use what you are given, seriously.

Your description just can't tempt me to play this. Centering is not a good option to make a map description, for starters.
EDIT : Giving up, I can't be bothered anymore if I am going to have everything rejected here as well as in "real life". Besides, I'm getting starcraft 2 now. I might as well just close my account but I have no idea how, except for contacting Ralle.
Goodbye. Nobody cares.

Oh and you cannot ask your account to be "closed" in any way possible. There is nothing such as "closed accounts".

Level 4
Goodbye. Nobody cares.

That is exactly the attitude that has driven me closer and closer to suicide these past 5 years. I have had enough of this at school and so I created an account here hoping that 1 of the 2 things I am good at will gain me some friends but NO!

I didn't act arrogant in my opinion and I didn't say that people didn't help me either.

Level 16
In your opinion. Others might or might not. I, for one, sense a tint of arrogance and/or dickhead complex.

Just improve what they say, and yours can be approved.

Also, this is the internet. People rarely cares if you are leaving or going.

CWeener just explain to you about what do the description rule really means. She even ensure you that she will review it tomorrow.

Patience, kid. Patience.

Level 4
In your opinion. Others might or might not. I, for one, sense a tint of arrogance and/or dickhead complex.

That second part isn't exactly a very nice thing to say to someone so I could report YOU for calling me a dickhead couldn't I!

Also, this is the internet. People rarely cares if you are leaving or going.

So what, in my experience (ie. Youtube) if you don't do anything for ages that constantly hound you with "Where are You" messages.

Patience, kid. Patience.

I am a very VERY impatient person.

Also, I did not mean any offence to anyone!

Level 16
That second part isn't exactly a very nice thing to say to someone so I could report YOU for calling me a dickhead couldn't I!

So what, in my experience (ie. Youtube) if you don't do anything for ages that constantly hound you with "Where are You" messages.

I am a very VERY impatient person.

Also, I did not mean any offence to anyone!
For the first part, I said "and/or" instead of just "and" or "or".

Secondly, only people who have accomplished something usually get 'em. You rarely see a nobody missed by other people.

Thirdly and finally, I will test this in Singleplayer. So now quit pestering everybody and shut up. And to what I know, it currently doesn't break any rules, so you're safe there.

As I said before, patience. It's virtue.

Level 28
Goddamn, I just lost my entire review...
Okay, basically: DMW: that's no way to treat members.
TheDarkMandible: This game needs a lot of fixes (reduce quality music, siege weapons have incorrect damage, travelling merchant imbalanced, creeps should respawn according to their tier level, the further you advance in the maps the higher tiers the creeps are, the Spy is extremely overpowered in CTF, the siege weapons can cause a lot of ragequits because once you've got 3 siege weapons and an army of noobs to make it impossible to reach these siege weapons, you're a goner, ...).

Too bad I lost everything (damn, first time in a few months I wrote a review in this chatbox and I lost it, usually I write it in notepad, which I should've done this time as well...).

Level 16
Tested this in a short while. Not very impressive, but everything isn't perfect and have its ups and downs.

Okay... Lets see...

Barren Wars v1.0

Created by TheDarkMandible
Short Testing by Waspy

Ups
:
-Decent Terrain (But its a template, so, yeah)
-Some unique and fun names (Sacred Assault Tank... LOL)
-Micro units are micro
-Good selection of Models
-Multiple Modes

Eqs:
-The music... It's good, but it's also a waste of space ):
-Tutorial (If only it's mandatory, then it will go to Ups)
-Uses a template

Downs:
-Some bugs (I don't skip the tutorial and don't get my game selection option on singleplayer ):)
-Some tutorial speeches are too quick ):
-Some units' damage are just ridiculously high when compared to others'

Overall, I don't have the right to vote right now because I've only tested this on Singleplayer and don't do a thorough testing. But I'm sure this can get an approval after some improvements and refining. Hope to see this improved. :)

(Also, some options appears too spontaneous)

Level 16
So you want to see the same tutorial every single time you play the game?
I beg to differ.
OSHI-
I guess that's the payoff for being half-asleep while writing a review. :p
That's what I thought.

Dead-Man-Walking, Could you give some examples of the overpowered units. I figured the siege might need reducing but that's all I can think of.
Siege is a bit... inefficient? They can only hit buildings...
Also, Special Units are kinda OP, but I think it's just me.

Level 4
Goddamn, I just lost my entire review...
Okay, basically: DMW: that's no way to treat members.
TheDarkMandible: This game needs a lot of fixes (reduce quality music, siege weapons have incorrect damage, travelling merchant imbalanced, creeps should respawn according to their tier level, the further you advance in the maps the higher tiers the creeps are, the Spy is extremely overpowered in CTF, the siege weapons can cause a lot of ragequits because once you've got 3 siege weapons and an army of noobs to make it impossible to reach these siege weapons, you're a goner, ...).

Too bad I lost everything (damn, first time in a few months I wrote a review in this chatbox and I lost it, usually I write it in notepad, which I should've done this time as well...).

What Review? :D