• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Barrels & gates etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
hi :)
im making a map, and when someone destroys a barrel, people who havent discovered the area (all enemies) can see it, as the barrels turns normal color:( the reason why its a problem: barrels a colored, to show the amount of health without having to click them/mouse over them, to make stratigally things faster... is there any way to fix this? gates kind of have the same problem, if someone on a map destroys a gate, then the people who havent discovered the area can see it as well :(

Level 4
well theres no trigger, its basically just barrels i have colored (green = low hp, blue = a bit more, but low, red = good hp, black = massive hp) but when someone kills a barrel, EVERYONE can see that its killed - cus it turns normal color on the screen, so you cant see it has died, but as theres no normal colored barrels, you know that its destroyed, meaning someone have walked that way...

i also just found out testing with a friend - he could see everywhere i build... its a quite small map, but all the barrels are the height of trees, so think of it as tree tag where trees could be destroyed, but everyone could see where the ents build & everyone could see which tree has been destroyed... would kinda ruin the game :(

Level 7
Mmmm your problem is really confusing me.

So you have barrels, and depending on the hp they have, you change their colors:
full hp: black
high hp: red
low hp: blue
very low hp: green

And your problem is barrels turning straight brown when they die? Why is this a problem? What role do the barrels play in the game? Please explain what the barrels are for and why other players shouldn't know that they are dead.

Level 3
did you make them doodads? i assume you did.

theres a checkbox in the properties which is something like 'show in fog'. check that to false and they wont come up unless you can see them.

Level 4
where is that? i can only find "Use Terrain Fog" under Map Properties - Options...

and its basically a map full of barrels, then theres some people who run & hide, and another team that tries to find them & kill them.. so if they can see where the runners have gone, then its like.. very easy :)

Level 4
this worked, but lets say i move to an area so i can see it, and move away from it again, if someoen destroys a barrel there itll turn into normal color again.. so discovered places has the bug, undiscovered places doesnt (ive made the minimap black, and all the map is black unless discovered) is there some way to keep it black even at places thats discovered?

Level 11
Remove the destructible barrels entirely and replace them with buildings using the barrel model, and check "Hide minimap icon". Simplest solution, though I suppose it's a shame if you already have your terrain done and have to replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.