• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Aeon of Strife] Back with a new Project!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hey everyone, for those who played my maps, I am back with another AOS project!

Let me know what you will like but I am going to improve terrain this time into development. The balance will be more serious and more toward player skill based instead of a more fun approach.

The name of the game is already selected, all I need to know is what players prefer in an AOS style game. What I should look out for?

Level 5
Not having 3 lanes but something more complex than lanes or at least different but not 3 lanes.(it is personal)
Maybe have a lot of different stuff that spawns instead of the regular archer melee siege(I liked a lot one aos like map that had like 100 different units sent at variable times and with variable roles)
I also like aos that do not reward players for kills(rewarding players for kills cause a tedious "watch and deal last hit" behavior)

Level 9
Make a skyship battle with flying dragons as bosses, and put angel paths to some mysterious treasures. Back at home everyone can farm on their own by some demon looking creatures or the opposite team can hunt some treeish and wisps in a heaven garden looking places.. but in order to fight with players do ship departing times or so, it could be badass i think. Well idk the possibilities tho it was just an idea.

Level 11
Make a skyship battle with flying dragons as bosses, and put angel paths to some mysterious treasures. Back at home everyone can farm on their own by some demon looking creatures or the opposite team can hunt some treeish and wisps in a heaven garden looking places.. but in order to fight with players do ship departing times or so, it could be badass i think. Well idk the possibilities tho it was just an idea.

That would be awesome

Level 15
Not having 3 lanes but something more complex than lanes or at least different but not 3 lanes.(it is personal)
Maybe have a lot of different stuff that spawns instead of the regular archer melee siege(I liked a lot one aos like map that had like 100 different units sent at variable times and with variable roles)
I also like aos that do not reward players for kills(rewarding players for kills cause a tedious "watch and deal last hit" behavior)

Currently thinking of one lane but I do agree that three lanes are weird xd
I will keep that in mind but I am thinking of a progressive spawn right now
This is actually the part about player skill based, you see I am intending to make it fully kill reward, everything will be less automatic that way

This idea is really great and nice of you to say it out, the mechanics behind the base farming is kind of low risk to be honest.. However I am also considering endless neutral battles that is also a problem but that can be worked on :D
Trying to keep the game theme in tact here, The Heroes may be alterations of full original Warcraft spells which could be interesting but this can change ..

That would be awesome

xd

Level 5
This is actually the part about player skill based, you see I am intending to make it fully kill reward, everything will be less automatic that way
Well does it really correlate with skill?
Last hitting more creeps than others does not necessarily means that you are more skilled: for example a hero that deals huge damage per hit will last hit much more creeps than a tank hero while possibly not participating in the battles as much as a tank since a good tank is not a tank who walks around trying to last hit as much as possible but a tank that manage to makes his allied heroes not die.
(furthermore since tank role is protecting the dps character if he helps the dps character so much that he never have to worry about dying it further boost the income of the dps character while a great part of the reason why the dps gained so much money was that the tank was protecting him thus allowing him to fully focus on last hit)
So why reward heroes based on last hitting that exists only because it is rewarded instead of rewarding heroes for skills like being great at doing his class job or making his team come closer to victory?
Well if by skill based reward you mean reward based on picking up a dps class then you are free to go but then tell in the quest section that the dps based characters should probably give money to the heroes that are not based on dps so that they can get equipment to keep helping them to advance(the dps characters might want the support to be able to keep spamming his spells and the tank to survive hits for him and that will not happen if he do not share money).
Also remember that last hit mechanics give an huge advantage to ranged heroes.

Level 15
Well does it really correlate with skill?
Last hitting more creeps than others does not necessarily means that you are more skilled: for example a hero that deals huge damage per hit will last hit much more creeps than a tank hero while possibly not participating in the battles as much as a tank since a good tank is not a tank who walks around trying to last hit as much as possible but a tank that manage to makes his allied heroes not die.
(furthermore since tank role is protecting the dps character if he helps the dps character so much that he never have to worry about dying it further boost the income of the dps character while a great part of the reason why the dps gained so much money was that the tank was protecting him thus allowing him to fully focus on last hit)
So why reward heroes based on last hitting that exists only because it is rewarded instead of rewarding heroes for skills like being great at doing his class job or making his team come closer to victory?
Well if by skill based reward you mean reward based on picking up a dps class then you are free to go but then tell in the quest section that the dps based characters should probably give money to the heroes that are not based on dps so that they can get equipment to keep helping them to advance(the dps characters might want the support to be able to keep spamming his spells and the tank to survive hits for him and that will not happen if he do not share money).
Also remember that last hit mechanics give an huge advantage to ranged heroes.
You have proof a good point but I also intend on making no starting gold for everyone, I also do not intend to make solo player versus multiple players fair, that being said I will elaborate on my point on automatic later on below.
The skill base focus on very low exp and gold reward and is the only way to advance faster than other players, sacrifice tank for damage will make farm HARDER(which is fair since defense will be buffed to counter-act that) but still possible, it just make it easier for higher damage, not more less skilled, they get blow up very fast if they don't buy defense.
Melee and ranged Heroes will also be differently included, they will have armor and move speed difference.(That should be the only two stats, may be one more stat but we will see)

: To elaborate on my point on "everything (else) will be automatic, every 1.2+ second of game time reward players each with 1 experience and 1 gold. (It takes fair few minutes to level up in the early, you literally get no reward for doing nothing but with a base income)

Can the OP provide more details?
Development is pushed back, hopefully I can resume it soon, I don't want to reveal too much at the moment, still experimenting with some mechanics, especially to the AOS genre.

Level 13
noob2 has a good point though, personally i think last hits for farming gold/exp is a bit of an ancient mechanic dating back to DotA. It will also extend the playtime of your game since in those types of AoS you more or less enforce a ~farming phase~ where players avoid conflict and farm creeps for gold/exp to beef themselves up. IMO it's not very fun, but if you want a longer game with that kind of element, go with it.

If skill is going to be a big part of your AoS, then it's *probably* going to be skill in Player Vs. Player rather than Player Vs. NPC you'll be interested in.

Also obligatory "What will make your AoS different?" advice :p. There loaaaaaaaaads of AoS's out there, even some that are decently made, which no one ever plays because they're not very inventive.

I can't really suggest stuff other than to innovate and try things out. The only AoS idea i ever liked was to have players against a common enemy which has much stronger creeps/base (sort of like X-hero siege but the central base is relevant and spawns stuff).

Level 15
noob2 has a good point though, personally i think last hits for farming gold/exp is a bit of an ancient mechanic dating back to DotA. It will also extend the playtime of your game since in those types of AoS you more or less enforce a ~farming phase~ where players avoid conflict and farm creeps for gold/exp to beef themselves up. IMO it's not very fun, but if you want a longer game with that kind of element, go with it.

If skill is going to be a big part of your AoS, then it's *probably* going to be skill in Player Vs. Player rather than Player Vs. NPC you'll be interested in.

Also obligatory "What will make your AoS different?" advice :p. There loaaaaaaaaads of AoS's out there, even some that are decently made, which no one ever plays because they're not very inventive.

I can't really suggest stuff other than to innovate and try things out. The only AoS idea i ever liked was to have players against a common enemy which has much stronger creeps/base (sort of like X-hero siege but the central base is relevant and spawns stuff).

Thanks for hopping by, I intend to add more Heroes slowly, I am afraid now is not the time as I am really sick right now. Hopefully the medication will fix these issues and I can continue to do my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.