• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Awesome ideas for Survival Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
A Survival of the Minions style map.

I've seen alot of survive the Zombies maps. Same goes for survive <insert ridiculously OP creature(s)>. I haven't come across any survival type maps where you're tryign to survive hordes upon hordes of little creatures.

So, how about this:

Inheritance (A twist on the whole "the meek shall inherit the earth" thing)

Goal: To survive for as long as you can against increasing numbers of minions (There's no win condition, the idea is that the player must live as long as possible)

Minions: Spiders, Rats, Arachnathids, Mud Golems, small custom models with attack animations from THW, etc...

As for the type of survival, there are two:
1) Hero only
2) Base (army)

If you want, you could put a vote system in place for players to choose which mode in-game. Hero only would rely on items and excessive hiding, while Bases would be more focused on maintaining defensive positions.

Again, there is no "last wave" to survive. If you've played Bejeweled 2 Action mode you'll have an idea as to what I'm talking about.

//\\oo//\\

Level 14
Hmm, but what's the point to play in survival without end? :) Some people don't like not a straight competition with "survival time"

I've never cared for the american notion that everything can be fixed [I say american because it's where I see most of that mentality]. There are some cases where you're doomed. It's a matter of if, not when.

But, most people like fairy tales, so how about a 'compromise' of sorts? Tell players they can escape but don't tell them how or when, and set up the map so it's impossible to beat.

I'm simply suggesting that you don't grant the players an end to the game. Tell them they can fight their way out, but don't allow them to do it. Just make each wave progressively harder. Eventually they'll fall.

Basically, give players the illusion that there's a way out.

//\\oo//\\

Level 7
Well i don't know about mentality of Americans, i'm Russian.
And i don't like "good ends".

Well, maybe i will use idea of "way out" for my map. Because i can't make a good ending with this story. :)

Well, i need to focus much more on gameplay features, even much more...

And can you suggest some quest system where quests generated randomly?
I need just a concept how to do, it's np for me to write on cJass quests. :)

I think about making each part of quest indepent, like location of quest, goal of quest, time for quest, etc...

Level 17
Survival Map Idea 01 -
Timed Events.

Timed event in a survival map could be something like "Reigning Infernals" in the Orc Roc Campaign.
It could also be something to get players prepared for something they are clearly un-prepared for, for example The timed event says you have to be level 10 to fight him, but realistically you have to be level 15-20.

Survival Map Idea 02 -
Damaging Terrain.

This is when you go into an area and it damages your unit, making the player make QUICK RASH decisions which intensifies the game.

I hope this helped!

Level 7
Survival Map Idea 01 -
Timed Events.

Timed event in a survival map could be something like "Reigning Infernals" in the Orc Roc Campaign.
It could also be something to get players prepared for something they are clearly un-prepared for, for example The timed event says you have to be level 10 to fight him, but realistically you have to be level 15-20.
I already have them, some events requires from people much more concentration on micro. But i have notification timer about how much time left to next event, is that right?
Survival Map Idea 02 -
Damaging Terrain.

This is when you go into an area and it damages your unit, making the player make QUICK RASH decisions which intensifies the game.

Already have sectors with radiation, this sectors without notice starts to drain hp, only if you find generator of radiation you could stop this or just leave. It's some kind of anomaly. :0

Level 17
Yes that timer is right buddy!
Ah I see, smart man smart man.

Well here is another idea :)
Survival Map Idea 03 -
Item Effects.

You could say, have a Potion of Healing.. that really isn't a Potion of Healing, but a damaging potion that has in the tooltip '50% chance of negative side-effect'.

Status
Not open for further replies.