• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Autosaved Map Somehow Deleted?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
A few minutes ago my world editor crashed

When I reopened, my auto-generated testmap file had vanished (I had saved manually repeatedly, as well as auto-saving whenever playtesting). The directory Warcraft 3 - > Maps - >My Maps - > Test where it would usually appear is empty.

Is there any way to recover this file? Losing it will set me back days.

Level 8
Update! After about half an hour, I figured out a way to recover it. This could potentially be really useful to someone else who's at risk of losing a day or more of work like I was, so here's what to do:

You need to find your temp files folder. On windows 10 that will be called %temp%, but it has different names on other OSes. World Editor should store files there when it is auto-saving.

I was able to recover the file from that folder and only lose a few minutes of work instead of a day.

Level 8
ANOTHER Update:

I had successfully reopened that temp file and everything was good. Saved it, closed it, then tried to reopen it. Now I get an "Unable to load file" error saying "level info data missing or invalid"

All the information I can find about that says it's caused by WEU or by map protection or by custom models/imports. I'm not using any of that. Does this mean my map and all that progress is lost afterall?

Level 8
Yet another update: I've solved the problem and I have my map backed up in like 4 places now to prevent further nonsense from happening. I think the breakthrough about finding the saved version of the map in tempfiles could be useful to know for other people though.

Level 7
I feel you man, this has happened to me once and it sucked pretty hard at first, but then I recreated everything that was lost, and the result turned out to be better the second time around. It's just another opportunity to learn more :D
as well as auto-saving whenever playtesting
How is this done?

Level 7
Doesn't the map always have to be saved when testing?
I think it just saves a temp file just to be able to run the map, because the map itself isn't. At the top of the editor you can see that the file location is followed by a * if the map hasn't been saved. This is actually pretty useful since you can test your map before saving it with bugs :D It would be nice having it save a copy of the map everytime its tested though.

Status
Not open for further replies.