• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Auto-locking threads?

Level 19
Did I miss the discussion? I can't find it here. Link to changelog.
Create add-on that auto-locks threads. Configured to lock inactive threads after 365 days, except resources and tutorials.
Let's start with a fine suggestion:
Instead of simply locking the old threads, why not delete them. it saves the site space, and reduces lag. something for you guys to think about
And a joke:
In soviet russia, threads lock you!

I understand the need to lock threads like Need help on cosplay for Tifa. The exemptions are reasonable. Maybe it's just me, but I have a bunch of ongoing ideas/projects that are meant to be open for anyone, long-term and neither fit the definition of a tutorial to fall into the exempted category.
I don't know what to suggest. Separate lock times per forum category? More than a year, now that a game is stagnating again and exactly same questions can rise up with years in between.
With locked threads there's one problem: a newer thread can link to them, but older threads can't link back. I think a Github-like referencing system would be neat to insert thread mentions.

I liked the LACK of forced thread closures on Hive. At least in the Jass/WE categories I frequently visit.

Level 15
"Create add-on that auto-locks threads. Configured to lock inactive threads after 365 days, except resources and tutorials."
I, for one, agree with this change... it'll greatly help combating necroposters who are completely unaware (or don't even care) that they're NOT supposed to revive very old threads. I mean, jeez... always check the date before you post! Unless, of course, it's an extremely important (and relevant) update/information.

Speaking of which, my music thread also got locked due to this change (I can only blame my lack of motivation and my slight depression), but it's no biggie... I can politely ask Ralle (or others) to unlock it for me anytime--but only when I finish making more new music.

Level 4
Warcraft 3 is a necrogame, so old thread don't really age most of the time. I guess threads from 10 years ago are irrelevant in every way, but the threads from 2-5 years ago are as alive as the game this forums are about.

Level 15
Hmm... let's just say I wanted my music thread unlocked today, so all I need to do is to go over to my music thread, and then simply click the "Report" link in my last post, right? I mean, I never used the "Report" link before so I feel a bit clueless...

Also, even if a thread's been re-opened, can I rarely bump (or create a post and delete it afterwards) in my own thread to reset the 365-days-timer-thingy and prevent it from getting automatically locked again or would that be a big no-no? Or do I have to report it before/after it gets/got locked again? Sorry for asking and thanks in advance.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
You either report the thread or make a post in Staff Contact.

As for thread bumping, as long as you don't bump your thread on a daily basis/follow the rule regarding it (see below) you will be fine.
While bumping a thread every two days without it having any other form of activity would be questionable, nothing stops you from
the occasional bumping to avoid a thread getting locked per se.
1695411666996.png

Level 15
Thank you for the clear and helpful information... and by the way, nice meeting you! As for the rules, I've been doing my best to follow them (and if I have any questions/doubts about something, I'll ask them in the Staff Contact section), and I'm not really keen on causing trouble, so no worries!
yes4.gif

Anyway, I think I'll stick with the "Report" link and also the bumping--but only after around 10 months of inactivity in my own threads (if opened, that is).