• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attached Special Effect Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hello guys,

I have a special effect attached to the overhead of a unit. I want it to disappear and reappear based on certain events, but ive run into several issues.

-setting the alpha does not work for attached effects
-setting the scale to 0 does also affect other effects attached to the unit
-playing death animation does work on some effects, however, the effect i use just loops its death animation over and over again

Is there some other way? Or how can i get rid of the loop animation on death?

thanks

Level 17
Thanks for the reply!

Because the effect needs to be visible for different players at different times. Basically i have to use something that works with local player.

I could manipulate the alpha of the effect if i dont create it as an attatchment, and move it periodically to the units position.
There will be at least over a hundret of these effects tho.. so i am not too fond of this idea.

Level 12
  • Special Effect - Set Height of (Last created special effect) to: -11000.00
What about this? Then you could set it back to its original height with your events :)

or

With a custom script you can set the displayed special effect to <Empty string>
There is an example somewhere in the hive, but I couldn't find and totally forgot how to do it :D

Level 17
With a custom script you can set the displayed special effect to <Empty string>
There is an example somewhere in the hive, but I couldn't find and totally forgot how to do it :D
This does only work on creation, to display an effect to certain players.

What about this? Then you could set it back to its original height with your events :)
I'm not sure if this will work on attachments, but i'll definately give it a try.
Thanks!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Otherwise the really last "ultimate" solution is to create a special effect visible only to a single player as required. This would mean up to human player count number of special effects need to be tracked and managed per unit, with each being only seen by a single player using the above mentioned empty model path string on creation approach. These can be created and destroyed for specific players without effecting the effects seen by other players. The only requirement is that all the effect objects exist on all clients in order to remain in sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.