• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Armored Mordor Orc WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a couple hours working on my first custom texture. It is a Mordor Orc from The Lord of the Rings based on the Bandit's texture. To my own surprise, it turned out better than I thought. I really enjoy using the burn and dodge techniques for the armor. I'm not sure what else to change though. Maybe the other armor details and the wood on the axe. I started playing around with colors to see what color would look best for the face. To be honest, I'm not sure how to even go about making a orcish looking face from scratch. I'll probably check out some tutorials first.

I think it looks pretty alright. I also did a small model edit. I removed the spike from the shield. Suggestions welcome. :3

Before

bandit.png

After

4brjfK5.jpg

1mg0eN3.jpg

p1V8hwg.jpg

1667-MordorOrc-08-2008.jpg

MordorOrcs.jpg

Level 4
If you're a bit lost how to go about doing the face, the way i usually do it is i start with a very dark base colour which i layout over it. I will then get a even darker colour and begin to draw in the detail of the face. After that i proceed to to build the texture up with highlights and then i'll usually go over with some additional shadows.

I hope that helps. so experiment and find what suites you best, anything will be better then a recolour. :)

Sweet. Thanks for the tips. I'll try that when I get the chance to sit down and work on it again. As for the shoulder pads. What are those...weird...colored parts on it? Is that what makes the team color? Is it safe for me to go over it? If I do, I think that will just remove the team color. Also. Is there a way I can fix this problem on the bottom of the feet?

And this is a texture question in general. What if I just went over an area in black entirely? Will that remove that from the skin/model completely? Or would it just show up as a black area on the model? The area on the left and under the helmet for example. So basically, I guess I can remove hair and some of the beard that way too.

NCkOX3K.jpg

Last edited:
Level 23
(...) What are those...weird...colored parts on it? Is that what makes the team color?
Yes, that's team color. You can do that trick to the emblem on the shield too so that it would be Team colored there. I recall you can do that in magos and with a little model edit.
Try this tutorial on TC.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/3d-modeling-tutorials-282/team-color-3dsmax-5-a-31469/

Is it safe for me to go over it? If I do, I think that will just remove the team color.
Hmm.. If I remember it correctly, you'd have to edit the alpha channel of the skin itself. If you just draw over it, the result would still chow the TC part.
Photoshop and GIMP could deal with alpha channels.

Is there a way I can fix this problem on the bottom of the feet?
Try editing the wrap of the skin. Though that isn't really an issue since that is not really visible ingame.

And this is a texture question in general. What if I just went over an area in black entirely? Will that remove that from the skin/model completely? Or would it just show up as a black area on the model? The area on the left and under the helmet for example. So basically, I guess I can remove hair and some of the beard that way too.
It will just show up as black. You could add alpha to the part of the skin you want removed. It would appear transparent ingame.

What I say could be wrong though. I haven't fiddled with adding/removing TC that much so I'm a little clueless with the how to's too. :ogre_hurrhurr:

I'll do some experimenting. I did some work on the helmet as I felt it was too dark. I also made my first face ever. Turned out better than I expected. Didn't know you could do that with one color, and the burn and dodge tools. Neat. I don't know if it's just me, but it looks more like a gorilla in armor than an Orc from Mordor. Mouth looks a little odd. I tried to aim for an open mouth..growl kind of look. I'll do some work on that and the face in general sometime. :3

zFqAh4P.jpg

lwy7fEy.jpg

Level 4
I'll do some experimenting. I did some work on the helmet as I felt it was too dark. I also made my first face ever. Turned out better than I expected. Didn't know you could do that with one color, and the burn and dodge tools. Neat. I don't know if it's just me, but it looks more like a gorilla in armor than an Orc from Mordor. Mouth looks a little odd. I tried to aim for an open mouth..growl kind of look. I'll do some work on that and the face in general sometime. :3

zFqAh4P.jpg

lwy7fEy.jpg

That's a good start, some quick advice though, you should usually avoid using the dodge and burn tool for anything that isn't a monochromatic steel texture. as the dodge and burn tool aren't very realistic in representing lighting and shadow. Mainly because when something is illuminated or shadowed there is a particular tint of colour present due to the sun/time of day and the surrounding environment. And in the case of the dodge and burn tool they do add lighting and shadow but the lighting is often just a monochromatic look that doesnt add any additional tinting or illumination, same goes with the burn tool.

Sorry i hope that all made sense haha? Keep at it though! :thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.