• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] AOE damage upon death ability doesn't trigger on allied units?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Is this some hard coded stuff?
I already tried many combinations of targets allowed in object data (player units, friend, allied) and it still doesn't work as I want it to.

Level 13
you could use a trigger to deal the damage, with a dummy ability

sth like

• Events
    • Unit - a unit dies
  • Conditions
    • Triggering unit has ability "AOE Damage on death" (Or if it's a specific unit-type you can use that as a condition)
  • Actions
    • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 500.00 at (Position of Triggering unit), dealing 100.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

Level 5
you could use a trigger to deal the damage, with a dummy ability

sth like

• Events
    • Unit - a unit dies
  • Conditions
    • Triggering unit has ability "AOE Damage on death" (Or if it's a specific unit-type you can use that as a condition)
  • Actions
    • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage circular area after 0.00 seconds of radius 500.00 at (Position of Triggering unit), dealing 100.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
That would work only if enemy unit stepped on trap and allies were nearby, I want it to trigger on allied units too. (Ally steps on trap=explosion)

Level 6
The abilities « AOE damage upon death » can succesfully deal damage to own and allied units, so you don't need to use a trigger to deal the damage upon death of the mine.
However, the ability « Mine - exploding » that detects an unit stepping into his range and triggers the death of the mine (and therefore triggers the « AOE damage upon death » ability) can't be modified to recognise other type of units, like own or allied ones.

So yes, hard coded stuff.

Level 5
No, this action damages allies and enemies. Have you tried it?
I am not sure what I am supposed to see in this map test, I think you misunderstood me.

I was creating Healing Rune which heals first ally who comes in range, I wanted to use AoE mine ability to do that but its hard coded it seems.

I fixed my issue with damage engine, Rune attack nearby units for 0 damage, if it was friendly unit it triggers.

But thanks for help anyway.

Last edited:
Level 5
It's not particularly taxing to just periodically (every 0.25 s) check a small radius around the rune to see if there are allies nearby and if so trigger the heal.
That was my first idea but I am trying to avoid this method since I already got tons of periodic checkers in my map.

oh wow, would have never guessed that was what you wanted from your first post. next time maybe try to explain more in detail what you want to achieve from the beginning
Yeah, thats my bad.
My reasoning was that it would complicate things more since I just needed to know how to make mine explode when allies touch it.

Level 38
I already got tons of periodic checkers in my map
It's not particularly taxing
You can run a whole physics system for hundreds of particles at 0.03 if you do it properly. One additional check will not hurt you. You could also place an invisible dummy unit on the rune and use the "unit comes within X range of unit" specific unit event. This event can't be removed, though, so if you have lots of these runes you will occasionally want to destroy and rebuild the trigger to clear out the old events that can't be triggered any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.