• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Another odd question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I've currently in the process of making a map that I've been working on for about six months now, I'm still not entirely finished with yet (as; I am a slow mapper and I prefer to take my time with things rather than to rush: plus I've been rather busy)... The problem I'm having is the fact alot of my old coding is alot less efficient and sloppy than how I can currently code... I'm curious if it's worth revisiting all the triggers that I worked on previously.

I'm not quite sure if it's worth the time or not, especially considering time is such a valuable asset. I'm a bit OCD, though -- when I see the older GUI triggers compared to my newer GUI triggers they're so much less efficient (they work; without leaks, mind you).

I know it's kind of an odd question; and I'm not quite sure if this is even the right place to ask (I couldn't think of any other forum that'd cater to this sort of question) but it's kind of been bugging me the past few days and I'd like to get some opinions from some people other than myself.

TL;DR:
Should I scrap the triggering of 18 Heroes for the sake of readability and in-editor efficiency? Once again; these spells do NOT leak, they're just inefficient. (example: I have alot of scripts that take up 2~3 triggers that I could easily do now-a-days with ONE trigger)

Level 12
Do so but ONLY if you are done with your map.

When you are looking at old stuff you will ALWAYS find something to be improved, that is good, means that you are learning but it is bad at the same time. When you find something you will want to fix it, and this may lead to not just optimizing but redoing whole systems, as you said 3 triggers >> 1 trigger. This may lead to huge amount of time.
That is a reason why people do:
Make map >> Release working version >> Updates (fix stuff, new stuff)
Big companies, including Blizzard, do the same, currently we are at war3 v1.27 (?) which was like ~3 years ago, and the game is 12 old.

Level 21
I feel the same way as you with with my maps. I start them off just piecing everything together in a messy way to test things out only to realize how much more difficult I made it for myself later on. But you won't finish anything if you keep trying to make it perfect :prazz:

Only redo them if they hinder your ability to add on to or edit them. If you can still work with them without any performance issues, then keep on trekking. Once you finish this project (without sacrificing 6 months of work), you'll know exactly what not to do for your next project.

Level 7
Thanks for all the feedback, it really helps answer my question. I appreciate it! I'll wait till after the map is feature complete (which, it still isn't quite yet) before redoing everything and simply redo things in small increments if I feel like I can make it easier to work with!

Status
Not open for further replies.