• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] animation tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Hey, super noobish question here:

I'm trying to get the spell animation for a certain spell for an imported model to be "spell alernate -1". no matter what I put in the line in the object editor, it doesn't seem to want to play it...

is it case sensitive? do I need each word on a separate string or all together? does it matter which unit I based it on?

I have found some old threads on this but they seemed kind of inconclusive, and it seemed silly to trigger something so built-in.

thanks!

Level 12
Hey, super noobish question here:

I'm trying to get the spell animation for a certain spell for an imported model to be "spell alernate -1". no matter what I put in the line in the object editor, it doesn't seem to want to play it...

is it case sensitive? do I need each word on a separate string or all together? does it matter which unit I based it on?

I have found some old threads on this but they seemed kind of inconclusive, and it seemed silly to trigger something so built-in.

thanks!

for me it works putting in example: (stand,victory) all in one and with Small Letters...

Level 21
thanks! your answer clarified that it was just an issue of entering the correct string sequence and in the end I got it.

(spell,alternate,1) [the 1 is what really threw me off bc it appears as - 1 in the model viewer]

How do I synchronize the animation with the casting of the spell? I know cast backswing and point do that for the unit's attack, but I can't find the field to change that for a specific spell. how do I do that?

thanks!

Last edited:
Level 12
thanks! your answer clarified that it was just an issue of entering the correct string sequence and in the end I got it.

(spell,alternate,1) [the 1 is what really threw me off bc it appears as - 1 in the model viewer]

How do I synchronize the animation with the casting of the spell? I know cast backswing and point do that for the unit's attack, but I can't find the field to change that for a specific spell. how do I do that?

thanks!

castpoint and backswing are the animation times for all animations not only attack most used by spell animations if you want the correct time check the seconds your animation needs and then set
backswing + castpoint to this value example:

your animation takes 1,2 seconds then your castpoint can be 0,5 seconds and your backswing 0,8 - 1,0 second

try it out and let me know how it works just play a bit around

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Attacks use DAMAGE Point / Backswing. Abilities use CAST Point / Backswing.

You can't give each ability it's own Cast Point / Backswing by default. You can however trigger your own system to get around these limitations.

What you do is give your units a Backswing / Cast Point of 0.00, so they cast abilities instantly.

Then give your abilities a Casting Time. This value will determine how long the spell takes to cast before executing it's effects (Cast Point).

Then have a trigger that detects when you begin channeling an ability:
  • Unit - A unit Begins channeling an ability
Since Casting Time is actually considered "channeling", this trigger will fire the same way as "A unit begins casting an ability".

In this trigger you would run a 0.00 second Timer and then play your Caster's desired animation. This timer is needed otherwise the animation will get interrupted.

Finally, you can detect when the unit stops casting the ability to clean things up if necessary:
  • Unit - A unit Stops casting an ability
From there you have a lot of choices. You could stick with Blizzard's original design but also incorporate the newly added Casting Time mechanic.

Or you could expand the system even further to allow for things like:
- Automatic animation cancelling.
- Adjust Animation Speed.
- "Create" your own animations. For example you could take the Blademaster's Stand Victory animation, speed it up and then cut it short so that it only plays the portion where he throws his fist into the air. Now the Blade Master has a Spell animation that doesn't involve swinging his sword around.
- Create pseudo-Instant abilities. These would still interrupt Orders but they would cast instantly.
- Introduce a new Stat, "Cast Speed", which can be modified by Items/Abilities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.