• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Animation Convertion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
i again!
I wanted to try modeling in Gmax, so i have created a simple model to see how should it look in War3.
So, 3 bones in chain.
1 controls right hand and Cylinder over center + verticles of 2 & 3 bones (of course)
2 controls left hand + verticles of 3 bone
3 controls top of the Scaling sylinder
I have created the animation, and in Gmax it looks like (0, 25 and 50 frames)
765165.jpg

768237.jpg

753901.jpg

And when I convert my model to *.mdl or *.mdx or import it to War3... it looks like (screenshots from mdlvis)
761069.jpg

757997.jpg

747757.jpg

When iI try to re-attach the verticles, mdlvis gives an error and does nothing.
What is wrong to my way to attach verticles to bones in Gmax? I have used "Skin" modifier like in the tutorial.

Last edited:
Level 3
__DeX_0[1].186m.mcr MaxScript from this Magos tutorial. (Actually it creates the text code for *.mdl file, and I need to save that code in *.mdl, correcting the texture pathes - everything was done good)

Level 3
I have just tried to
1 create the animation
2 create 3 dummy boxes (for 3 bones)
3 delete Skin Modifier for my meshes
4 add Skin to dummy boxes for each bone
5 (the boxes becomes animated) saved *.mdl
6 open it in mdlvis and delete dummy boxes
7 attach verticles of my meshes to bones (it was impossible in 1 model because of error in mdlvis)
But the result is the same, because Bones are animated not like in Gmax, they are just moving and rotating too far...
Ill try other way to fix the problem now.

Level 3
eemmm, do you mean attaching only several verticles to the bone, but not all the mesh object? Yes, it is possible. The black Cylinder between other gray on my pictures is attached to the bone3 only with it's top verticles.

don't use envelopes, they fuck up everything, you must assign vertices directly. However, Gmax does not jhave a weigth table and it's method is quite difficult to explain.

I would suggest you to attach vertices in MdlVis or Vertex modifier meanwhile. I'm currently working at a tool which will make Skinning in Gmax and 3dsmax A LOT easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.