• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient Hymns

Ancient Hymns
icons_15737_btn.jpg
Map Description:
Fifth map of the Ancient Saga. It took pretty long to find motivating and time to create this thingie. I am satisfied with it though I could improve the environmental eyecandy in my personal opinion. However I just found it time to upload this one. I hope you guys like it. Comment and rate.

Uploading later.
Change Log
• Uploaded
• Update I

- Changed some item drops

icons_602_btn.jpg
Information
• Creep Camps
- 26 Green Camps
- 16 Orange Camps
- 5 Red Camps
• Neutral Buildings
- 12 Gold Mines
- 4 Goblin Merchants
- 4 Taverns
- 1 Fountain of Mana

Keywords:
Remixer, Ancient Saga, Saga, Ancient, Sunken Ruins, 2v2, 1v1v1v1, 4, garlicsmellingcarrot
Contents

Ancient Hymns (Map)

Reviews
13:38, 4th Mar 2014 Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 4/5 (Recommended). See moderator's review for more information:

M

13:38, 4th Mar 2014
Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 4/5 (Recommended). See moderator's review for more information:

Hell_Master;2494910 said:
Review emerges! Let me take this chance to review your map and decide it's fate.

Played your melee map and I was really satisfied on how it was made. I can really see that you poured out great efforts into this melee map. The layout is not that unique because most of the melee maps I saw has the same layout, the player locations were both at the end-point sides which is common on some melee maps but is good. The terrain looks marvelous. Terrain doodads/destructibles were wisely placed into the environment and the way you combined different structures to form a new type of structure is really great and which melee mappers that aspires to improve should practice by using simple doodads/destructibles/structures into their advntage of making something great through it.

Now, on to the main melee map and let's leave the terrain out now for I said enough already. The melee maps contains neutral building such as Gold Mines, Taverns, Merchants and etc. which a melee map always requires. Fine placement of player locations, a symmetric map, and has item drops and also looks fine and balanced enough.

Overall, this is a well-done melee map and deserves a rating of 4/5 (Recommended) and Approved. This is something that you'll play for some amount of games!

Level 30
Review emerges! Let me take this chance to review your map and decide it's fate.

Played your melee map and I was really satisfied on how it was made. I can really see that you poured out great efforts into this melee map. The layout is not that unique because most of the melee maps I saw has the same layout, the player locations were both at the end-point sides which is common on some melee maps but is good. The terrain looks marvelous. Terrain doodads/destructibles were wisely placed into the environment and the way you combined different structures to form a new type of structure is really great and which melee mappers that aspires to improve should practice by using simple doodads/destructibles/structures into their advntage of making something great through it.

Now, on to the main melee map and let's leave the terrain out now for I said enough already. The melee maps contains neutral building such as Gold Mines, Taverns, Merchants and etc. which a melee map always requires. Fine placement of player locations, a symmetric map, and has item drops and also looks fine and balanced enough.

Overall, this is a well-done melee map and deserves a rating of 4/5 (Recommended) and Approved. This is something that you'll play for some amount of games!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
It really has an interesting layout. It would be even more impressive if the terrain would be less flat.

-a Sea Elemental in the east near the map border dropped a Tome of Agility and a Tome of Experience

What's wrong with the height differences? I like playing with high and low places - it creates more depth.

I fixed the sea elemental drops - they now drop 2xPowerUp(Level1). Also changed item drops of the middle creep camp.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
What's wrong with the height differences? I like playing with high and low places - it creates more depth.
No, the zigguratish structure of the map is indeed remarkable. However, I would have lowered (some sort of crater) or heightened (like the land would upheave) some pieces of land/rock on the map to give it even further landscape variation.

Level 3
This is definitely one of the most beautiful maps I have ever played. The only inconvenient is the lagg on my old machine.
Awesome map, bro! 5/5 and +1 from me. Keep up the good work!

This is an aesthetic map (very much so!), it deserves no less than 4 stars.
+Fine attention to details
+Thematic
+Multiple routes for all gold mines

However, traversing across the map has proven to be tedious. In the cases where players spawn diagonally, the game can feel really dragged out and sluggish. The square catwalks you deliberately leave to surround the map is very very underused, mate.

Except for the super-straight routes that connect four starting locations the map feels a bit divided.

They could otherwise be utilized for some truly strategic stuff. The 4 mines in the middle could also be more connected.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
However, traversing across the map has proven to be tedious. In the cases where players spawn diagonally, the game can feel really dragged out and sluggish. The square catwalks you deliberately leave to surround the map is very very underused, mate.

Except for the super-straight routes that connect four starting locations the map feels a bit divided.
Indeed, the map is very large for 4 players and the huge ruins structures really do restrict movement a lot. The catwalks were actually created as an alternative way, to go around all your enemies and get to their back, however, it is really really long way to walk though. Other than that, it somehow make the map "look in place".

Indeed, the map is very large for 4 players and the huge ruins structures really do restrict movement a lot. The catwalks were actually created as an alternative way, to go around all your enemies and get to their back, however, it is really really long way to walk though. Other than that, it somehow make the map "look in place".

And make the map look in place, they do. I have to applaud the creativity, there.

It does open up a lot of imagination in this player's mind, though! These catwalks have a much potential to be a super fun element of the map. What if there are 4 red creep camps with high-level items in the four corners of the map?? Use such creep camps to subtly draw the players' attention to the catwalks. Once they used the catwalks to reach the loots, they would realize these catwalks can indeed be used to "backstab" the enemies' base, as you do intend.

WHO is Maij Sh'ina ?? This is going to get some people curious and is going to give this map a huge lore boost. How would you tell her story through the map's design? How would you let the players find out the story in your mind?

In real world, I know the name Mai Shiina as a martial art master. So when I see Maij Sh'ina I immediately have this fantasy of her being a Pandaren woman who is/was the leader of the people who built this temple.
So this icon you have for the map. Is that Maij herself? Because I would find that idea fascinating!

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
And make the map look in place, they do. I have to applaud the creativity, there.

It does open up a lot of imagination in this player's mind, though! These catwalks have a much potential to be a super fun element of the map. What if there are 4 red creep camps with high-level items in the four corners of the map?? Use such creep camps to subtly draw the players' attention to the catwalks. Once they used the catwalks to reach the loots, they would realize these catwalks can indeed be used to "backstab" the enemies' base, as you do intend.
I thought of placing creep camps on to the catwalks as a lure, but on the other hand they would likewise restrict movement so I decided not to add hard creeps there and instead placed little platforms off the catwalks with some more creeps.

WHO is Maij Sh'ina ?? This is going to get some people curious and is going to give this map a huge lore boost. How would you tell her story through the map's design? How would you let the players find out the story in your mind?

In real world, I know the name Mai Shiina as a martial art master. So when I see Maij Sh'ina I immediately have this fantasy of her being a Pandaren woman who is/was the leader of the people who built this temple.
So this icon you have for the map. Is that Maij herself? Because I would find that idea fascinating!
Who knows. But for sure, she is some one who once was a great, great being, and whose story was forgotten and now it awaits to be unraveled.