• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient Empires Terrain Brainstorming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
In the past months I've changed the terrain of my project several times without being able to settle for something. Currently I'm using a wip map with a simple, balanced layout, but it seems pretty boring to me. Also, despite of using capturable points in the water (fishing regions, which provide free food and save you quite a bit of lumber that would be spent on farms) the naval warfare part is still lacking.

So I'm here to ask experienced melee map makers (and anyone else ofc) for advice. I've thought of some possible layouts, improvements on those and completely new suggestions are welcome.

Keep in mind that:

-The map is a cross between melee WC3 and Age Of Empires in gameplay. Not everything good for melee will be good here.
-This will be the core map (other might follow) so there needs to be some replayability. Perfectly balanced shapes might not be the best. I'll probably use an 8 player size.
-Naval warfare needs to have some decent value, but since it's the core map it's better to be a bonus, not mandatory.
-Tiny islands I've included in the layouts, besides small but safe-ish expansions serve as start locations for an alternative migration mode. I'd like to keep those in some form.
-Besides the gold mines and fishing regions, there are also randomized buildings, placed at some locations across the map. Those might be various mercenary camps (more important to gameplay than in WC3), extra gold mines and possibly more in the future. Gold can be traded and earned in other ways, making it slightly less of the most useful resource, but not by too much.
-You can check the map here. Mind that it's still an alpha.

So, here are two posible layouts (without trees, fishing regions and random buildings just some early thoughts), and a bonus for a possible mythology mode.

227683-albums7528-picture87406.png

This would serve for some variety deppending on start location, without being too unbalanced.

227683-albums7528-picture87407.png

This would add a fierce battleground with all players close to each other, and distant expansions, so it should work in various ways. Since the civs that are ready are mediterannean, a non-snow theme could work better, with an inner shallow lake instead of a frozen one.

227683-albums7528-picture87408.png

This would have all the wood in the small, green corners, but players will have to expand for building space and gold. Not considered for the core map, just an extra idea.

Level 7
I like the third. Seems symertrical and reminds me of Wellspring map of Warcraft (Used to play that a lot). For me symmetry is the key but even in that I am excited about the underworld pass (how do they function?)

Level 7
The underworld pass should function as a slope to the underworld, or a waygate. I haven't decided yet since this map isn't considered for the first release.

Level 7
Screenshot_2014-08-29_17.11.26.png

New map wip version:

- An attempt to make naval combat slightly more important and games slightly shorter.
- So far testing shows it should work better with less players than the previous one. The AIs also seem to like it more.
- Probably needs more trees and detail.
- Each time the map loads some creeps are replaced by other types. For example, you won't always find horses or sheep in the exact same region, but they will still be in an equal distribution for all players. Together with the randomized buildings and other changes to come it should offer more replayability and reduce the effectiveness of copy-paste strategies and build orders.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

It's nice, but, like you said, it need more trees and detail. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.