• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ancient City

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
A four-player melee map, with four shops at opposite ends, and a shipyard in the middle. Despite the shipyard, all areas can be reached on foot. There is only one way to cross to the other sides of the island, and it's guarded by giant hydras. Resources for a successful startup are abundant, and the one to defeat the hydras in the middle will not go unrewarded.

Oh, by the way, sorry for the cheesy map name ^^

A word from the author:
I am a fan of classic Blizzard maps, and the classic map style. I don't believe in shinies, and when I make a melee map I want it to be as close to the Blizzard maps as possible, so I don't import new models or anything like that for a melee map.

I also don't believe in flashy text. This is a melee map, which means the player's goal is to tacticise properly and destroy the enemy, there is no need for highlighting any information or special rules, since there isn't one, and I thought that what was being assessed here is not my presentation, but the map itself. However, since I appreciate the feedback I got, I will add pictures of the map here, even though in my opinion that takes away from the fun of discovering a melee map during play. =)

Any more feedback is still very welcome, especially about space, wood amounts and doodad density =)

Fullmap2.jpg

Screen1.jpg

Screen2.jpg

1. (5.8.2011)
  • applied the map's terrain completely anew, giving it a lusher texture
  • moved the shorelines slightly
  • added some more trees to the map
  • polished some other parts of the map
2. (7.8.2011)
  • changed some of the units on the map, to fit it into the classic melee map type
  • improved some of the water cliff areas with extra hight levels

Author: Lelling

~Changed the map to back to pre-delete. Reupload can be found here!

Keywords:
Melee, 4player, 2v2, FFA, Sunken Ruins
Contents

Ancient City (Map)

Reviews
18:37, 9th Aug 2011 -Kobas-: Status: Rejected
Level 17
The map details appears to be missing a few things.

Needs Fixing
  • Map Description
  • Screenshots
  • Overview
  • Changelog (if any future changes are to be made to the map)
If you want a good idea have a look at how this guy presented his map, then I might play it. -> Ruins of Dalaran.
You should also try having look at the BB Code List to get more attention to your map.

Level 16
Lacks a better description, look at some bb codes. Or try and check -kobas- map descriptions.
Also check the polishing guide

Since you are new:
If map isn't finished jet, use Map Development forum for that!
You can make thread there upload your map so people can tell you what they think just like you did here!
Also for any help with triggers or how to clean memory leaks post triggers and create threads here Triggers & Scripts!
Btw if you need any help with WE we have World Editor Help Zone here on THW!
And at the end if you need any resource from icons to loading screens check out Requests!

edit:

Rules said:
Requirements level 1:
- a description clearly telling what this map is about.
- a name not being "just another x map".
- the author field should match the submitters name, (but don't be nazi about it).
- the name and picture should look unique.
- the map should not violate any other site rules.
- the map should be properly categorized.
- the minimap should not reveal a hideous terrain that clearly reveals poor quality.

Level 2 (possibly requires opening):
- the map is new or a heavily modified version of another map (in which case credit should be given if possible).
- the map does not crash (on launch and during playing).
- the map has no obvious dead icons.
- the map is not bad. (the map should be alright. Not necessarily a director's cut at all, but useful in some way. Perhaps a good storyline or good terrain/graphics or entertaining.)
  • If the map falls short in any of the level 1 or 2 requirements, you can reported it.
  • If the map is hopeless, stolen or build around something that breaks the rules, it should obviously just be reported.
  • If the map is just another version of footman/dota/etc etc map (few new spells/heroes/models/etc etc) can be reported as well.

You need to fix the things that is marked. Map reported

Level 7
Thank you, Bugz, but the map is finished, that is why I have posted it here. =)

I believe that you're not entirely clear on what a melee map is supposed to be. A melee map has no extra triggers, it only has the standard melee tirggers. I also don't believe that a classic melee map should have any imported icons or models since that takes away from the "classic" part of it.

I also believe that my initial description was sufficient for the requirement "a description clearly telling what this map is about.", since all melee maps are about building a base and destroying the enemy, while tacticising on an unknown area.

And when I make further changes I will be sure to make a changelog, but since the map hasn't been updated yet (since I haven't recieved any feedback partaining to it), there is no need for an empty changelog.

Thank you for your help and understanding. =)

Level 16
- the map should be properly categorized.

Forgot this.

This map is a altered melee, not a classic one :) the altered is always the fun about playing downloaded maps, why else play them :) also the newbie part is something i post to anyone who is new. And you can use triggers for custom spells. To make map alot more unique, but its all up to you.

Level 7
Hmm, can you point out what classifies this as altered melee? I'm not really sure what falls under that category. I thought altered melee would be something like a melee map with custom units or custom triggers etc.

EDIT: Oh also we've joined this site 4 days apart, by the way ^^

Last edited:
Level 17
Hmm, can you point out what classifies this as altered melee? I'm not really sure what falls under that category. I thought altered melee would be something like a melee map with custom units or custom triggers etc.

EDIT: Oh also we've joined this site 4 days apart, by the way ^^

It's altered melee because it has naga in it, which is not part of the melee game.
:3

Level 16
204993-albums4965-picture49878.png

melee_4.gif
Ancient City
Created by Lelling ; Uploaded by: Lelling
The idea of everything connected to the middle is good, aswell the fact you need to kill the hostile's in the middle to explore more of the map. But the rest of the map review is the reason why you only earn the current amount.

You have earned +1
Map Presentation: (Max points: +13)​
It's good you got screenshots, and why you made it, but you wrote something that makes no sense :

A four-player melee map, with a goblin shipyard in the centre. Since AI players don't buy naval units I made a lot of the land accessible by foot, and only some regions available only by naval transport, however, there is some advantage available for those that use naval units. Wood is also scarce, and gold supplies are limited, so players need to make quick and decisive action.
What you just told us is that you made a map where you need to be able to travel, which Ai players is not able to do? So they’re a handicap for computers? First of all that is not acceptable for melee maps, and the fact that players need to make a quick decision is even worse due to the level of hostile units. So you made a reversed map presentation

You have earned +5
Terrain: (Max points: +19)​
You’re terrain outlook seems decent, but the locations of everything is messy. You made places where the Ai players aren’t able to come to, and the base space is too small. And you got too much water, and way too little area to build expansions

You have earned +8
Gameplay: (Max points: +27)​
The game play is not good because:
  • The hostile unit’s are to strong and the amount of them is way too high.
  • The Building space is highly limited
You have earned +15

204993-albums4965-picture49877.png

• Make a better map description
  • Fix the base space, and fix the other things that I told you about
Total Points: +29

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have to look at the map in the editor to realize that the map cannot be approved. Why?
Simple:
attachment.php

The map isn't symmetric - There aren't enough trees close to the starting points to harvest, you can't harass the enemy with your hero in the beginning because of the creeps in the center of the map and you need to widen the 4 shop areas which can only be accessed via ships, so that there's more space for the units when they get unloaded.
I also suggest you add some sort of passage from island to island, just look at the 'brown' circles' in my screenshot.
Rating: 1/5 Not acceptable.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 188
Level 7
the fact that players need to make a quick decision is even worse due to the level of hostile units.

Having to take quick and decisive action does not mean you have to make a quick decision ^^
Despite the similarity between the phrases, the two have little in common. It simply means that, due to the small amount of trees, it's not advisable to waste time and resources on things that will not get you closer to defeating your enemies.

Anyways, just thought I'd update, working on several things in the map, expanding the area, removing naval-access-only areas, and reshaping some other locations. ^^
Appreciate all the input that I've received up to now, and working on using all the feedback :D, thank you ^^.

Last edited:
Level 7
There, major revision done, changes visible in the changelog and in the new fancy screenshot, where you can really see the new amount of trees and everything quite well. :D I've also tested the map again and for me it seems that the base size is big enough for now, but do tell me if I need to enlarge it because I think I could go for a few more squares ^^

Anyways, hope you like what I did with it. =)

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for the double post, but it's been several hours between the first and second post :p, plus I really didn't think I'd be done with the new edit by today and I thought someone would've commented by the time I'd upload it :D oh well.