• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Alpha Orc Warlord: Particle Emitter 2 Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Hive, this is StonemaulMidget,

stein123 and I are replicating the Alpha Orc Warlord, which includes holding a torch behind his shield.
Unfortunately, while the model nears completion, I've had trouble correcting the Particle Emitter 2: while the flame starts from the top of the torch like it should, it shoots past and behind the Orc Warlord's head, at an angle, as opposed to simply shooting above the head (see here).
I have shared with him an updated version, but the problem persists.

Feel free to leave suggestions, or feel free to edit the model and the Particle Emitter 2 and show us what you've done.

Attachments

• ss-002.jpg
    ss-002.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 45
  • wc3beta01199.jpg
    wc3beta01199.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Warcraft_III_-_Alpha_screen_2.jpg
    Warcraft_III_-_Alpha_screen_2.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
One of the alpha bridge models that shows up in these types of screenshots was included in an obscure folder on the Reign of Chaos earliest public beta that is included on Hallfiry's online archive. I found it in there while poking around for fun a few years ago.

The model had some particle emitters that seemed weird to me. If I recall, they were displaying on RMS before I invented the part of RMS that could preview particles or something like that. So I looked into it and what I found was that they were not particle emitters at all. Probably before the ParticleEmitter2 system was created for Warcraft III, what they were doing was making their 3ds max exportor create a bunch of individual geometric planes as geoset data and then animating them individually to look like a particle emitter.

So, I would keep in mind that you are not constrained to our Frozen Throne modding ways if your goal is to make something that looks exactly like in that old picture. I almost think especially in the shot where the orc warlord is up close to the screen that it might not be a particle emitter at all. I think you could make something very similar to that picture if you used like "Textures\Roman1.blp" but edited the texture in GIMP to have an alpha channel surrounding it. Then turn that into a simple plane geoset at the end of the torch, and attach that geoset to a node with the Billboarded property.

To save time you could just set "DontInherit { Rotation }," on your emitter though. Would then be more in the TFT style.

Status
Not open for further replies.