• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Resource System Add "The map X is using your resource" user alert

Anything to do with the resource system. Bundles, resources, upload, search.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Spells is harder as a spell isn't a hashable file per se. You'd have to look for function names or something and it would be very hit and miss. It'd be custom models, icons and textures.

It would be just another view on the "View resources in use" and the "View usage". A sort of summary of ALL things using what you made.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I'd recommend the option to turn those specific alerts off for the creators of said resources (not the maps) if you want to add it.
People with many resources might get spammed and be overwhelmed by the alerts if they have
a high amount of published resources.

It should be the choice of the creator whether or not they want to receive an alert. when someone
uses their creations.

That's my two cents at least, I am not directly affected by it anyway.

Spells is harder as a spell isn't a hashable file per se. You'd have to look for function names or something and it would be very hit and miss. It'd be custom models, icons and textures.

It would be just another view on the "View resources in use" and the "View usage". A sort of summary of ALL things using what you made.
You could maybe allow resource makers to specify their dependencies to code or spells resources on upload.
This is obviously based on voluntary user declaration, but would still be a great indicator for code authors.

I have personally uploaded a lot of code resources and have literally no idea who's using them, if anybody. Sometimes I see screenshots on Discord showing Debug Utils in use and I'm always surprised. Even a voluntary system would really help me to get minimum feedback :)

Regarding other resources, have you thought of updates? When I make a model, someone else is using it and afterwards I update the model (changing the hash), will it still be recognized? Probably need to save hashes of all past resource versions to accomplish that.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Regarding other resources, have you thought of updates? When I make a model, someone else is using it and afterwards I update the model (changing the hash), will it still be recognized? Probably need to save hashes of all past resource versions to accomplish that.
Last month I started collecting hashes. I have yet to update the UI to reflect that though. I could even make a "This map is using an out of date version of X model"