• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] Acid Rain Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I want to make an acid rain effect in a region when an ability is cast. It lasts for 5 seconds and then runs another trigger.
How can I change the color of a weather effect or create a special effect that looks like green rain?
Thanks in Advance

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
What patch are you on? And HD or SD graphics?

This is old and references the MPQ but you can edit the actual rain texture:
Color of Rain

Or you could mess around with special effects:
  • Special Effect - Set Height of (Last created special effect) to: 0.00
  • Special Effect - Set Pitch of (Last created special effect) to: 0.00

Level 4
I am in patch 1.32.5 and I think I am HD graphics.
How would I use special effects?
Is there a rain effect?
I know about
  • Special Effect - Set Color of (Last created special effect) to r: 255, g: 255, b: 255
but I dont know how to apply that to a rain effect.
I was thinking about maybe using Rain of Fire and changing the color to green but I dont know how to get the Rain of Fire effect in special effects and you cant change the color in the object editor.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
SD = Classic graphics, HD = Reforged graphics

Not sure if you can edit the Rain of fire/Blizzard effects to fall from the sky. I know you can change the Art for them under the Buffs tab (They're categorized as "effects"), but i'm pretty sure they'll just spawn on the ground.

Anyway, check out this map I made, perhaps I went overkill but it's a rain effect that you can customize.

You can configure a lot of the settings in Acid Rain Setup trigger.

Edit: Added some more variables, pretty much everything should be configurable in the Acid Rain Setup trigger.

Attachments

• Acid Rain Example 2.w3m
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Level 4
This looks really cool but I have a few questions:

Can I change the location of the points to random points in a region?
Like this
  • For each (Integer A) from 1 to AR_TotalRaindrops, do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Set VariableSet AR_Points[(Integer A)] = (Random point in Region 000 <gen>)
Can I slow down how fast the acid falls?

Can I change how long the rain lasts for?

Can I remove the ground explosion effect?

I have seen alot of what you have done on these forms. Could I ask either how long you have been involved in the warcraft 3 editor or how old you are?

Last edited:

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
In the Cast Trigger set AR_Points[0] to the center of your region. This point is used as the center point that all of the other points reference. You can also edit the other Points as well, as I just made them use varying offsets to create a spread effect.

And all of the variables in the Acid Rain Setup trigger are there for you to configure, aside from a couple that I labeled as "Do not edit!". The names and descriptions should be fairly self-explanatory.

Set AR_SpeedMin and AR_SpeedMax to change how fast the acid falls. The rain falls from a random number between SpeedMin and SpeedMax.

Set AR_ExplosionPath to an empty string (so just delete it's contents) if you don't want an explosion effect.

The rain duration is a little tricky because I use an Integer Counter to keep track of the duration of the effect and it's not in the Setup trigger.

If you go into the Acid Rain Loop trigger, you'll see two references to the number 250. It'll say something like If AR_Counter less than 250 or If AR_Counter equal to 250. By changing this number you will change the duration of the effects.

And how that works is that the Timer runs every 0.02 seconds, increasing Counter by 1 each cycle. So Counter is increased by 50 per second. You originally asked for it to last 5.00 seconds, so I went with 250, seeing as how 5*50 = 250. If you wanted it to last 10.00 seconds you would increase 250 to 500. If you wanted it to last 0.50 seconds, you would reduce 250 to 25.

I've messed around with the editor since Frozen Throne came out. Only started learning how to properly use it a couple of years ago. I'm 26 and I like long walks on beaches and leggy blondes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.