• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About the food limit (more than 300)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
to change the food limit you go to Advanced -> Gameplay constant. Then you check custom gameplay constant. you can change the food limit there. but there is always a limit (like the hero level limit is 10000). i dunno for food. anyway go there to change the maximum.

Level 13
you could use an alternative way for it, let alle your units cost 0 food. then make an integerarray for your players, this integer is your food limit, you can display it on a multiboard or something. now you need triggers which detect every time a unit is built if you have enough "food" , if not cancel the training/remove the unit, raise the limit for every house you have. might be a little complicated, but should be possible

Level 2
Well actually you can make it higher than 300, just hold shift before you add the number, so shift then enter and then add the number you wish. I haven't actually tested it, only writen the number above 300.

Level 8
Well actually you can make it higher than 300, just hold shift before you add the number, so shift then enter and then add the number you wish. I haven't actually tested it, only writen the number above 300.
Okay I know this post is from a time long forgotten but how does the holding shift thing work, you were right, I just did it and set the max to 400, but why does holding shift allow this?

Level 24
Its pretty easy, the field where you enter the food limit is a simple number.
This number can (probably) be between 2^31*-1 (-2,147,483,648) and 2^31-1 (2,147,483,647) aka, the 32-bits integer bounds.
However, because it is illogical to have a negative number as food limit, there is a check on that field that filters negative numbers.
The same happens for the hard coded 300 food limit.

Holding shift when you open a field, you ignore those checks.
This is, in some cases really useful, but in some cases, it doesnt really matter at all.
One of those cases is the food limit, it will always be in the range of 0 and 300

Level 24
It doesnt matter, you can have it in the range of 0 and 300, as long as that works, it is fine.

What you should be trying is to think of a way to play with it differently.
For example, I once made a map in which each town hall reduces your used food by 1 per 10 seconds, then you can make units cost 100 food and still have a million of them.
(Be sure to also make a check that it doesnt go below zero ;))

You could also try other ways of handling the food limit, if you really want to have the same principle, you could, as mentioned before, just use a different value and trigger the behavior.

(There should be a contest for replacing WC3 mechanics on the most brilliant way... hint, hint)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You can modify current food limit with triggers. As your current food passes 200 start to lower both current and maximum food equally. When current food drops below 100 start to raise both current and maximum food equally back to default values.

Food was used as income in Azeroth Wars. As you might know, if your food dropped below 0 it underflows causing all kinds of nonsense. For this reason it is important to make sure used food, current food and maximum food all stay within the range of 0 to 300.

Level 8
You can modify current food limit with triggers. As your current food passes 200 start to lower both current and maximum food equally. When current food drops below 100 start to raise both current and maximum food equally back to default values.

Food was used as income in Azeroth Wars. As you might know, if your food dropped below 0 it underflows causing all kinds of nonsense. For this reason it is important to make sure used food, current food and maximum food all stay within the range of 0 to 300.
on a map i'm working on your food drops by 1 second every 10 seconds, (seems like a lot but in game that takes 100 seconds for it to drop 10) and you have to produce pigs and kill them to increase your food, it's based off the age of empires 3 system, houses increase food cap by 10, but you need to produce animals and farm them to actually have food to produce units.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
on a map i'm working on your food drops by 1 second every 10 seconds, (seems like a lot but in game that takes 100 seconds for it to drop 10) and you have to produce pigs and kill them to increase your food, it's based off the age of empires 3 system, houses increase food cap by 10, but you need to produce animals and farm them to actually have food to produce units.
I am sorry but that does not sound at all like Age of Empires 3... I recall you built houses in that game to raise your pop limit.

Level 24
In AoE III (IIrc), you have 4 resources and a population limit.
Each unit costs x population and your population works similar to how food works in WC3, you just cannot train more units when it would break the limit.
Most units also cost food, which is similar to gold/lumber in WC3, this is just a value that you "pay" to train the unit.

A slightly more interesting version of "food" can be found in games such as Cossacks or Stronghold, where food is "eaten" by the units you currently have.
Aka, each unit eats 1 food per 10 seconds, so 10 units would eat 1 food per second.
If your food reaches zero, the units will die.
So you will need at least a few units to collect the food in order for your units to stay alive.
(In Cossacks, gold is used instead with mercenaries and warships.)

Ofcourse there are also more versions of "food system" but I think these were the two you tried to mention.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
yeah, in mine you build houses to increase your food limit?
But then what is this?!
No where in Age of Empires 3 did you have to produce animals or work farms to raise population (food). Unless it was one of the expansions (I did not get the Asian one).

Status
Not open for further replies.