• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ability Tutorial

Level 5
Table of Contents:
Creating a Single Unit Buff
Creating a Spreading DoT/HoT

This will not teach you to use custom animations, only how to "steal" animation effects from the games current library. The usefulness of this, is say you wish to create your own Nuke but make it stronger/weaker, you can't do that without changing the default Nuke as well. This will allow users to circumvent that.

Creating a Single Unit Buff

There are literally tons of different things you can do with abilities and their effects. Understanding the game and what units are capable of is tremendously helpful. I personally placed each race on a map, with all units buildings etc. so that I could play with each one individually. This helped me understand the editor a lot more clearly. Now, I simply think of an ability that I'd like to create and then find something similar within the other Units.

Anyways, let's get started. The first ability I will share is a "Tank Class" Invulnerablity.

Open the Buttons Tab of the Data Editor.

Right click in the data editor and select Add Object... or Ctrl =

Since I will be using the same Icon as the Stimpack I copied from it as such.

AbilityCreation-Step00.jpg

Change its Description to read out how you would like.

Open the Abilities Tab of the Data Editor.

AbilityCreation-Step01.jpg

Now open the Behaviors Section of the Data Editor.

We will be adding a Buff Behavior. Make it look like so:

AbilityCreation-Step02.jpg

These are really cool, almost too much to explain. By using buffs you can create numerous effects, from increased range, attack speed, etc. Take some time to look through the tabs and learn for yourself. :)

Let's modify our Buff now, open the Behavior - Modification + section, and move to the Combat Tab.

First off, I changed the Attack Speed multiplier, default is 1. (i.e. Attack Speed x 1)

Second, scroll down until you get to the section named Vital Gained from Taking Damage. As you can see, there are three Values one for Life, Shields and Energy respectively. This field is actually altered by the Damage Kind field below it. Select Life, then punch in the numbers for the Damage Kind below for each damage type you wish to be invulnerable to. Now click Ok.

AbilityCreation-Step03.jpg

Now open the Effects Section of the Data Editor.

Apply Behavior effects are used for a multitude of Abilities, from dealing damage effects to enemies all the way to applying buffs to your Unit. :)

AbilityCreation-Step04.jpg

Setting up your Effect is simple, all you need to do for now is change the Behavior to reflect your own. Like so:

AbilityCreation-Step05.jpg

At this point everything should be in working order. All that's left is the actors for our effects and behaviors.

Open the Actors Section of the Data Editor.

First add this Actor:

AbilityCreation-Step06.jpg

From here on out Ignore anything that is showing other than the Power Overwhelming ability. I have multiple abilities using the same Actor which is why you see other Values. Open the Events + section and edit it to look as such:

AbilityCreation-Step07.jpg

Secondly, we will add:

AbilityCreation-Step08.jpg

Again edit the Events + Section:

AbilityCreation-Step09.jpg

Lastly we will add:

AbilityCreation-Step10.jpg

Dont forget your Events + Section:

AbilityCreation-Step11.jpg

The ability is now completely usable. But you can continue to change this to fit your gameplay. Currently, everything is set to act just as the Stimpack for costs.

For my ability I have changed the cost to a 3 minute CD, and removed the Health Damage. To change yours, go back to your Ability and open the Cost + section:

You have to highlight the top section where it lists Index, Count etc.

AbilityCreation-Step12.jpg

As you can see, you can set amounts of Charges for your ability (think Spider Mines), Cooldowns, and you can also go as far as spending Resources or even Life/Shield/Energy vitals, in fractions or set amounts.

This gives you the absolute basics as to what is needed to create an ability. There are simply way too many options to cover them in one Tutorial. So heres a "Quick Guide" of what effects you should look to use for certain abilities. If you want to create an ability but arent sure where to start, feel free to ask and I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

HoT/DoT : Create Persistent
AoE: Search Area
Effect Self/Allies: Apply behavior
Command units: Issue Order
Spread Effect: Transfer Behavior

The End, for now

Below here is a broken ability, had it working in beta but it's fail now. I will complete this section when I get it working again. I didn't want to have to rewrite it all so please forgive that I am storing it here. :)

Creating a Spreading DoT/HoT

This next ability is my favorite so I couldn't help but post it. :) This one is not stolen from any particular Ability. I am creating a DoT spell. Same concept will apply to a Healing spell. To prevent redundancy, I won't be posting step by step images.

Start with creating your ability Button, I have named my ability Plague.

Now open the Abilities Section of the Data Editor.

AbilityCreation-Step13.jpg

Just set the range you desire for now, I have set mine to 15.

Open the Behaviors Section of the Data Editor:

AbilityCreation-Step14.jpg

Open the Behaviors - Modifications + section and go to the Unit Tab. Edit the Vital Regeneration Bonus to -3. A positive value would heal.

AbilityCreation-Step15.jpg

Next change, your Duration, Period, and period count.

Duration: 30
Period: 3
Period Count: 10

To explain, the ability will last 30 seconds total, and trigger 10 times or every 3 seconds. Modify how you wish it to act.

Open the Effects Section of the Data Editor:

Add the following 4 Effects:

AbilityCreation-Step16.jpg