• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

A Long Haul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I'm back after a long while hooked on wow... :vw_death:

Bad times aside: I'm revamping an old project of mine to a whole new level!

So the year is undecided, the factions aren't known yet... But the idea is made!

Factions

The Good
Players (duh)
The City (defend this)
The Elemental Spirits (Earth, Air, Fire and Water)

The Bad
The Arcane Spirit and his many many cultists

Basically it's AoS-style, but with a major twist. There are 3 classes of heroes, playing a rock-paper-scissors style game... More below

Each player controls one Hero. That Hero will be one of the 3 below. Each Hero WILL get (pretty much) one-shotted.
I will be designing the level and feel of the game to an over-the-shoulder camera. The difference is that since you control att your attacks etc with the keyboard, right-clicking an enemy will focus on them, turning the camera so you can always see that particular unit. Very handy for boss-fights.
Expect very short-lived, fast-paced action in fights. Plenty of panic and a fair bit of: damn how did I die that time?

Warrior
Attack - Try and hit something in front of you.
Defend - Raise your shield to block the next physical attack which comes your way.
Rallying Call - Temporarily remove all Fatigue effects from nearby friendly units
Summon Recruits - Summon a horde of recruits to charge forth!!

Ranger
Nock Arrow - Put another arrow in your bow...
Fire - Fire everything currently in your bow forwards
Fleet of Foot - Activate to grant temporary Invisibility and a burst of speed.
Targeted Shot - Fire a single shot at the target location.

Mage
Unleash Elements - Release all currently stored elements at the target location.
Fire - Charge an orb of Flame
Ice - Charge an orb of Ice
Lightning - Charge an orb of Lightning

As a rule of thumb: Warrior > Ranger > Mage > Warrior : Rock-Paper-Scissors style!

Fatigue - This measures how tired your Hero is. Doing things drains fatigue, whilst resting (usually at night) will restore it. This will be tuned so you can do a full days Hero-ing without being overly hindered by the end of the day, but you will quickly see a decline in your Heros performance after that first day, so that you will barely be able to move by the end of the third. This comes into play more for rangers, who are designed for efficient, long-term play

Energy - While Fatigue governs long-term behaviour, Energy helps regulate what you do in a short space of time. The more fatigued you are, the slower you will gain energy, and the more you try and do things while on low energy, the more fatigue you will drain.

Dodge - A big chance to dodge physical attacks, and the main way to stay alive in hectic combat. Your Dodge % will drop with rising fatigue, leaving you more vulnerable to attacks.

Resistance - A chance to resist spells, the magical analogue of Dodge. Again this will drop with Fatigue, leaving you open to enemy casters.

Money Shiny! - While it isn't a true Hero resource, without it you will be pretty much stuffed.

The Arcane Spirit - The big bad guy, defeat him to win the map.

Cultist - The normal opponent you will fight. The come in waves and are generally useless... except that there's LOTS of them. They will hurl stones at ranged (usually bouncing off harmlessly, sometimes dazing/stunning, and very rarely actually hurting). They will attack with tiny daggers in melee range, usually only being a minor pest (for melee classes) but sometimes hitting something vital.

The real danger comes from what the Cultists do to the elements...

Cultists will attempt to (and succeed in time) free the elemental spirits from their altars. This is bad because the world is in balance with the spirits bound. When an element is unbound, its avatars will roam the earth, often being subdued by the forces of the Arcane spirit.

For each spirit released, a new type of elemental will join the ranks of the cultists, and help lay siege to your castle!
Conversely: The more Spirits are currently unbound, the less intense the fight with the Arcane Spirit will be

Fire (Ranged) - Fire Elements will hurl balls of molten lava at enemies. The lava quickly cools to become a physical object. Easily handled by melee classes (block the missiles)
Air (Support) - Air elements channel wind around enemies, slowing them. Best taken out by Rangers, and quickly
Water (Melee) - Water Elements have been frozen almost solid by the forces used to contain them, and are almost immune to physical attacks. Get a Mage!
Earth (Siege) - The ultimate elemental unit. Unyeilding as a mountain. These guys are literally invincible, but move very slowly. Once they reach the walls its game over. But you can fight them!

At the altar of each Spirit (each on top of a mountain ofc), there will be some kind of scripted event (read: Boss Fight). Defeat the event to rebind that element and remove all of its elements from the Arcane Spirits control.

I will be posting more info here as I make it up.

Some quick notes:
1) I try to do all my coding for myself, and everything that is truly mine is open source; I only ask for a quick mention if something I did helped you.
2) This is a back-burner project, don't expect a release in the next couple of weeks :)
3) All constructive criticism is greatly appreciated, as are good ideas. Who knows, I may even use them :D

What I could use some help with:
1) Better ideas for abilities for the Heroes. Nothing too visual, since that will mostly get in the way; but the Warriors Summon Recruits ability won't be too helpful in the current setup, same with the Rangers Fleet of Foot (both designed when I was considering a pvp style map)
2) Comments! Thoughts and opinions: you have them and I want to hear them. Don't be shy! :) Especially valued are judgements on the Balance of the game. I want to keep the game geared so that if you do something wrong early on, you don't spend the rest of the game playing catch-up.
An example of this is the Elemental Spirits: The more Spirits get unbound, the harder the seige will press against your walls, but there will be less cultists roaming around, making it easier to manouver outside once past the Siege.

Peace,

Krokk

Coding various Systems for the Game. Check the current Fire System out!

Attachments

• Natural Forces Demo.w3x
    45.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.