• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A Humble Noob Requires Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I am a total noob in skinning, and i'm trying to learn it. I have downloaded Wc3 Viewer and i have Photoshop 7.0.1. But i don't know how to get Blizzard-made skins into the viewer to edit them. Please help me out... :cry:

Level 5
it's pretty easy, just extract the .blp/targa from the War3.mpq or War3x.mpq, you extract these files useing Wc3 Image Extractor. then edit it in photoshop. if you are having troubles with the alpha stuff, you have to get the targa plug-in on the adobe site.

Level 5
yes it does, I use photoshop, you must be doing something wrong, dooo you have it layered? what you do is open the targa in the image viewer, after you have saved it in photoshop then resave it in the viewer as a .blp then import to map, make sure your saving the right format.

Level 2
I am a total noob at skining/modeling. Ive imported models into the world editor. They appear on the map where they should be. But in the game, the unit is blank. what is it im doing wrong? please help

Level 21
You don't change the textures. You change the paths of them (after imported). Paths are very important for almost everything you import as it gets the file working in the game. If you skin a blizzard model then find the path easily through Wc3 Viewer or Wc3 Image Extractor II by following its categories. If you don't know how to import models, just import the .mdx and the .blp (if included) with the right paths. Remember thanks to wc3sear go to the model page and if you see a skin in green example: Textures\Sword.blp add that path to the texture included in the zip.

Level 5
yeah, all the art and such in the WE is all in the mpq and what not, everything you import into the map skin wise can't be edited there like your thinking. it's all paths, be sure and use the "List View" to find the paths

Level 2
I have one other question, how do i apply a skin, rather than an entirely new model. Like a skin of a Blood Mage that ive downloaded from here please help

Level 2
Ok, Ive got Wc3 Image Extractor and Ive opened the skin of the ghost blood mage, I have the right path for it. What do I do next to actually get it to appear where it should be? where do I apply it?

Level 2
I assign it to the unit under Art-Model File, right? because when I do that it says "could not load file: Textures\Hero_BloodElf.mdl" and this is after ive reopened the map. I still dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.