• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

New Roleplay Terrain Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Thought I'd give a preview of the terrain for a roleplay map I'm working on. It's maybe only 35%~ completed but it'd be nice to get some feedback on it beforehand since some of the central areas are finished.

The map is going to be called DreamCraft Roleplay, and this first terrain is "World's Heart". The terrain theme is a simple combination of diverse forests, riverbeds, and mountain areas in hopes of giving the impression that this is the center of the world. The "World's Heart" if you will.

Below is an image of what is currently planned for the rest of the terrain while the terrain itself is attached at the bottom. Any criticism/input is greatly appreciated. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• DreamCraft Roleplay Terrain Preview.w3x
    223.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Plan1.jpg
    Plan1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 417

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Yet another roleplay? I'd rather create a terrain for an already-existing roleplay.

Anyway, good luck with your project.
~Thread Moved to Map Development

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll leave this in Warcraft III Roleplaying, since most people don't know what RP is.

Level 3
Yet another roleplay? I'd rather create a terrain for an already-existing roleplay.

Anyway, good luck with your project.
~Thread Moved to Map Development

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll leave this in Warcraft III Roleplaying, since most people don't know what RP is.

The other roleplays all have buggy triggers and the object datas are in dire need of revamping. I would also like to add some new concepts of my own such as a system where heroes have no abilities, but can purchase abilities from shops like in maps similar to The Great Strategy.

Tired of using the same trigs/object data that's been around since DoBRP

is it going to be a failcopy of someone else's triggers with crappy asian models imported and given an extremely lame name?

Are we talking about HRP - Anime or STDRP here? lawlz jking ;p

But in all seriousness, while I do have limited triggering ability at the moment, I've been reading some gui/jass tutorials and am looking to learn more. I'm also friends with the maker of pRP and will use him as a reference, though as of now the plan is to do the triggers from scratch.

As for imported things, I have always held a strict "don't import excessive bullshit" philosophy for when it comes to RP maps. So far the only imported things are environmental/indoor stuff, and I highly doubt much more will be implemented.

I'm a narutard as indicated by my avatar but the day I roleplay anything anime related is the day hell freezes over. :)

Level 3
You going to use Motive's triggerset?

I've never had a look at it, honestly. Although I think he posted them on my forums at one point.

Before I raped the forums, that is.

Unfortunately, they're all in GUI and I'm pretty sure the selection bug still exists to some degree. They're much more organized than the triggers Draike did back in the day, but they use a lot of new command codes which I'm pretty sure was the turn-off for pRP.

Looks like a cool terrain, but it lacks high variation. and i think the river area should be redone

What do you mean specifically by river area? I know the village section is still in need of polishing. I'll try to make it more varied though, there's a lot of repetition in the center area that needs some tinkering.

Looks rather.. small don't ya think?

Small in what way? It's a 256x256 map. :X

Level 3
Make the ? bit some kind of dark forest or something. But don't use blight! :p

That's a good idea, although I already plan the "deep forest" area to be a kind of traditional "loldangerous forest serrounding town be kareful!" I could make that area much more dark and mysterious.

And yeah I'd never use blight on an RP terrain that would be maximum failure. :p

I think you should save more space to "indoor areas". I once started my project called Mystery Of Friza. It's a single player map. My mistake was that I didn't save enough space for "indoor areas". I think at least 25% is good to save.

However, good luck!

I'm careful not to add too much indoor area because I feel it takes away from the potential of the normal terrain, especially when players can usually make in-door areas using regular terrain as it is. So far there's 7 "indoor" spots in addition to a cave area and "secluded glade" area.

The selection area is also much smaller than the ones in present RP maps, but I have great confidence I can fit everything I need in their without it becoming cluttered. I always did hate the selection system :X

I will consider adding another "bar" of indoor areas though. As you can see right now one lines the top of the map. I'm pretty OCD and another thing that has always unnerved me was the arbitrary shapes of indoor/selection areas always jutting in and out at random points.

Level 2
The terrain looks quite boring, the tiles don't really variate a lot yet which is missing in most rp terrains tough. Also some more trees should be added. Removing tree's is no problem but adding them and making them look nice is always quite hard to achieve unless you add scaling to spawn able destructables which is possible. Keep in mind that an rp terrain should be customizable while it still takes massive amounts of work out of the hands of roleplayers. Anyway good luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.