• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shadow Heart

Reactions: deepstrasz
Contents

Shadow Heart (Map)

Reviews
Wolverabid Rating: 8/10 This map is a complete package: custom loading screen and music, a fine opening cinematic, excellent terrain, models, quests, credits... this map has it all. The gameplay is VERY difficult: the party must be swift and...

M

Wolverabid

Rating: 8/10

This map is a complete package: custom loading screen and music, a fine opening cinematic, excellent terrain, models, quests, credits... this map has it all.

The gameplay is VERY difficult: the party must be swift and deadly to stand a chance in this scenario.

Level 4
The terrain is a 3.5 the game play is a 3/5 and the custom models are a 5/5. The game really has no point other than running around and killing and responing. You can't even gain levels because everything you attack dies in one hit.

Level 17
Updated. Added a "solo" mode. Now, if you don't have any human or AI players alongside you when you start, it will go into solo mode, which is basically an endurace round where you have no time limit, start at max level, and have no respawns (to see how far you can get without dying).
-VGsatomi

Not really far i guess... what about a ranged hero in singleplayer? Or some places were you can hide to recover. Or a meditation ability (channelled, restore mana). Or some rejuv pools here and there.

Level 9
Very fun. Up-to-par terrain mixed with a unique gaming experience leads to an enjoyable game. However, they're are a queries that I'd like to mention:

Although the open-endedness is nice, it could use a few more built-in events. Even the enemies shouting "Die!" or something of the like would spruce it up a bit.

While I see you have imported quite a few models, the repetetiveness of the Shadow Heart ninjas got on my nerves after a while... They were all the same with the exeption of the Commanders and the War God. I made a slight variant of the model and a skin edit of mr.pshyco's assasin skin, if you want it I'll gladly send it to you. Oh, and I saw you used the flag model as a symbol for the Shadow Hearts, it would be a nice idea to copy it onto the War God's banners, just to add another little treat.

Another thing that bugged me: the ninja's stand animations! The one where she taps her foor is completely out of sync with the other ones, and she tilts to the side in it. A samll model edit could fix this.

Overall, I really enjoyed the arcade gameplay, and it would be really nice if you expanded upon it (bonus points for continious kills, combo moves, etc.) I would also like to see a sequel of sorts, with all of Black-Stan's great models, you could make a gem of a map, I'm sure of it. The last thing that I would have liked to see would have been some pickups, even like an instant heal that you get when you walk over it, maybe a speed up, temporary evade, etc. Other than that, everything was in line.

Rating time:

Terrain: As I said, it was fine, good use of doodads and nice tile work on the paths. 4/5

Gameplay: The arcade style was fresh and new, but I would like to see it expanded upon. 4/5

Imports: Great choice of music, nice models and sounds, aside from the things I mentioned, they we're perfect. 5/5

Overall rating: 4/5. Keep up the great work, I hope to see more maps like this from you.

Level 17
You have a heal spell (unlike normal holy light, you can target yourself in this one, same with death coil for the undead warrior). As long as you keep your mana up using siphon mana, health restoring between encounters should not be a problem.

Ya, but if you start already at the maximum level it takes out a lot of the effort and the fun to play. It's all shockwave-dodge-shockwave-stun-manadrain and eventually heal, gg commander. It get boring after a while.

Level 1
Here are my opinions and complaints:

*Hotkey 'k' for Shurukin doesn't work.
*Getting level from each killed hero is awesome idea.
*Spawning works well.
*This is a great map and it's sad that I can't play the single player map.

Solo mode: This is impossible but I guess that it's actually supposed to be. I just simply couldn't kill the level 6 hero.

AIs:
-They don't cast any spells. I guess that they are attacking target location so that they can't cast anything the same time.
-They destroy only tents that are on their way which means that I need to destroy the others myself unless I let them to produce more ninjas.
-The AIs tried to walk over the last river. This is because you have ordered them to attack to inside the gate where they can't go. This definitely needs to be fixed.

Multiplayer: I don't know. I don't have anyone to play with. :cry:

Level 22
Well, this is just a raped version of the solo version. The solo version just has more detail, voice acting, quests, models, story, cinimatics, music, ect. Solo made is anything but impossible, you just have to develope a technique. Dont click on enemies, but rather his "s" (stop) just after the enemies swing and let your hero passive aquire, then quickly move again to avoid the next attack. Follow that routine and this map is fairly easy. After certain commander kills, the ally heroes will respawn, so them getting stuck behind the river is only temperary until you kill the next commander.
-VGsatomi

Level 6
At last completed this map with a big troubles and i almost ran out of time, well, i finally made it alone in Solo after about 50 tries, anyway, hotkey i a bit messed up, and the map was great, great names, great story and great music, 5/5 for the map and keep on the good work :wink:

Level 1
Good Map! i played it with my friends, it's quite challenging , but i think the solo version is better because it explains more about the game. why not adding a story line in the multiplayer? :)