• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

3 extra slots for specific items needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there!

I am about making a map inspired by the UT3 mod "Greed". The goal of this game is to kill enemy players, get their skulls and bring them to a specific point on the map (lets say a circle of power) to score.
However, during the map testing I have found out, that the skulls take a significant place in player's inventory. Therefore, I have been thinking of some special slots, that would store the gathered skulls. And since I am a beginner in map-creating, I would like to ask some of you for help.
Now, what do I exactly need...

I would require a 3-slot special inventory. Each slot would be designed for one specific item exclusively. The special inventory does not need to be visible in the traditional UI (it could be a "pop-up" window, that would show/hide by pressing a key, e.g. "Escape").
The first slot would be designed for normal skulls, stacking up to 4.
If the player gathers 5 normal skulls, they would change into 1 greater skull and jump into the second slot. These greater skulls would grant a lesser buff and would stack up to 3.
When the player gathers 4 greater skulls, they will change into a superior skull, that would be gathered in the third slot. These skulls would be stackable without a limit and they would grant a greater buff.

If a player with skulls is killed, he should drop all the skulls he carries + one normal skull from his head. In normal inventory this is made easily by ticking the "drop when hero dies" option in object editor. However, I am not sure, whether it works the same in the additional slots... if yes, then there is no problem with this.
The last thing - when the hero reaches the specific map point (circle of power), all of his skulls should be removed and he should get score (+1 for each normal skull, +5 for greater and +20 for each superior skull). This system is quite simple to make in triggers using the normal inventory, but since I don't know how the special inventory "behaves", I am mentioning it... just to be sure :)

So, would be somebody so kind and make this 3-slot special inventory for me? I would be veeeeery grateful :)

Level 5
Why create a special inventory?
Simply use variables in a hashtable to store the numbers.
When a player enters the drop region, show an animation and set those vaiables to zero after whatever action you achieve with putting skulls there.
The skulls dropped should be powerups with no effects themselves, but connected to a trigger with unit aquires an item, item type = .... condition.
Maybe add a chat command -skulls that shows a player how many skulls his hero's carrying around.
Should do the job :)

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Why create a special inventory?
Simply use variables in a hashtable to store the numbers.
When a player enters the drop region, show an animation and set those vaiables to zero after whatever action you achieve with putting skulls there.
The skulls dropped should be powerups with no effects themselves, but connected to a trigger with unit aquires an item, item type = .... condition.
Maybe add a chat command -skulls that shows a player how many skulls his hero's carrying around.
Should do the job :)

That looks something like this in triggers:

Event-----
Unit picks up item

Condition-----
Item type of manipulated item equal to SKULL

Action-----

If/Then/Else Multiple Conditons:
If--
Type of unit manipulating item equal to PLAYER1UNIT
Then--
Remove manipulated item
Set SKULLVARIBLE1 to SKULLVARIBLE1 + 1
Else--
If--
Type of unit manipulating item equal to PLAYER2UNIT
Then--
Remove manipulated item
Set SKULLVARIBLE2 to SKULLVARIBLE2 + 1
Else--

Just keep adding to it to make it work for all players, I think that would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.