• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

2d C++ game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
Hello!

Lately I started wanting to make a 2d game... with other people!

Basic info:
-2d game
-Programmed in C++
-Using SDL for graphics, events, and networking
-Medieval shooter (here is a good example of this kind of games just think about it in the middle ages)
-Multiplayer
-Campaign and PvP modes

I would like to gather a few programmers (would need people to draw sprites later on, but first we need to make a basic engine) who know C++.

Requirements:
-You should know C++ (basic syntax, pointers, structs, classes, virtual methods, a bit about unions)
-Knowing about SDL from the beginning will help a lot
-Knowing about Sockets from the beginning will help a lot.

If you want to join but you don't think you know enough, here are a few sites which I found to be the best on the subjects:

Basic C++ tutorial
SDL tutorial
Sockets tutorial

Notice that from the three subjects, I consider sockets to be the most complicated when you are new to it, so don't be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand something.
Also notice that the sockets tutorial explains specifically about UNIX (Linux for example) operating systems, BUT, it is as useful for Windows or Mac sockets.

There aren't a lot of details because I want to create this game with YOU, which means we will all decide on the small details together.

Hope to hear from some people :)

Level 29
Yey we have some people now.
Now I just need to find some way to control all your bastards because I have no idea how to control people.

Anyhow, I'm starting to code this week.
If someone thinks he can write perhaps a story for a campaign / think of characters / weapons / enemies / any info, let's all type it here and decide together what we all like.

In my opinion, there should be (and yes this sounds pretty weird) some science fiction weapons, but designed as medieval weapons.
An example of this would be a Crossbow that shoots exploding lazers, or things a bit more original :p

Level 4
..And today on The Discovery Channel, we can observe the clueless member (oblivious memberus) in his natural habitat, totally oblivious to what C++ is.
--donut3.5--

Donut, I don't see why I need to look somewhere else to find out what it is, but what I do wonder about most is why you discourage questions to help the oblivious memberus evolve.:confused:

Level 11
I have no clue how to code, I tried learning it and got lost-- but anything from somewhere to host it to thinking of story+weapons and stuff just let me know.

And donut3.5 it would be Memberus oblivious not oblivious memberus

Genus comes first and is capitalized, and species comes last and us uncapitalized. Which places you at Memberus ataxometric (Member who can't classify)

I SEE YOU.

TDR

TDR

Level 18
I was 10 years old and a gamer and I still knew what C++ and programing was...and I didn't even had internet back then...seriously, it's general knowledge. But now you know so ok....but I still can't believe you didn't knew, with all the resources available these days.

Level 7
ha! I know not of what it is (which leads me to this random question: How old do you weigh?"

I'm trying to learn C++ at the moment... just started (like 10 minutes ago, reading up a little on it first). So I'll get back to you if I can do anything... lol

Level 4
at least it isn't WoW, because you might never come back.

Though you can't exactly say Fallout 3 isn't addictive either... I mean, it's from the developers of the Elder Scrolls series, and we all know how addictive those games were...

On Topic: If I ever find any spare time, I'm a talented story writer (though I fail at names [gg, name generator] :p), so I could possibly come up with a basic campaign story and maybe even make ideas for gameplay. I'll come back when (and if) I get anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.