• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Night Elf Caster

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is my very first character done, and the very first time I have done such extensive animating for War3.
It has been fun and extremely frustrating at times.

The model is a female Night Elf. She is a generic caster type unit and her attack animations are optimized for melee with a staff. But anything goes really. Be it ranged or melee with an axe, it should all work.
She will dissipate on death but there is no hero glow. I wanted to leave the user with the decision to whether or not she should have glow.

I forgot to add a team colored portrait background (shit, there was so much to take into consideration).

She uses custom animations and a custom texture.

NOTE
Some of the animations do not show properly in magos or the 3D viewer (attack, death, attack 2, and perhaps run)
Also, use a scaling of 0.6 - 0.65.

I hope you can find a use for the model and please credit me if you use it in a project.

Thanks to HappyTauren, JesusHipster, Ardenian, and Misha for help and advice.

Update 1:
- Increased the resolution of the texture from 256x256 to 512x512
- Decreased the texture file size from ~280kb to ~190kb

Update 2:
- Tried to define the texture some more

Update 3:
- The texture has been almost entirely redone

Keywords:
Spell, caster, cast, mage, priest, warlock, sorceress, witch, female
Contents

Night Elf Caster (Model)

Night Elf Caster (Model)

Newest version in game screen shot:
Night_Elf_Caster_In_Game_04.jpg

Version 3 in game screen shot:
Night_Elf_Caster_In_Game_03.jpg

Version 2 in game screen shot:
Night_Elf_Caster_In_Game_02.jpg

Version 1 in game screen shot:
Night_Elf_Caster_In_Game_01.jpg

A final note.
The head in the walk animation moves quite a lot. I have spent a long time, but could't get it right. The conversion to .mdx did not go smooth exactly.
This is not really noticeable in game.

Last edited:
Level 34
I think this model could use more work. Of course you've made and animated it from scratch which is very cool indeed, but i think that it could be closer to wc3 style and quality. You know, the proportions, the shading on the texture, maybe a teamcolor option.

The animations are pretty cool, but i see issues regarding the limb movement and how they look from ingame cam.

I'd say you are on the right track but right now you haven't reached your destination yet.

very cool :) but every war3 model could use some exaggeration :p like longer ears, thinner waist (or wider hips), lill bigger bust (that one shouldn't be a balloon :xxd:)

oh and your anims look pretty nice :3 maybe a bit stiff, but nice

Oh yeah you're right. When I created the model I went for "correct" proportions. That was a blunder.
Seeing as she is female, I can live with her smaller-than-avarage-warcraft 3-model size :)

Heh. The animations were such a headache. I think they are alright in game, but I agree with you.

~Nightmare said:
I want to touch this model's texture

On the other hand, this is so cool and wow-ish. Great work! <3

I'm sure you could pimp up the texture, if that is what you mean, but I need to fix my errors myself.

JesusHipster said:
I think this model could use more work. Of course you've made and animated it from scratch which is very cool indeed, but i think that it could be closer to wc3 style and quality. You know, the proportions, the shading on the texture, maybe a teamcolor option.

The animations are pretty cool, but i see issues regarding the limb movement and how they look from ingame cam.

As I said to Misha, I can live with the proportions but I agree.
The style, yeah I guess, I just painted and this texture happened :)
And about team color. Do you mean where the team color is placed? Because it has team color.

All that being said, the model has once again been updated. I have tried to define the texture better this time.
This will be the last edit for now.
(It seems the 3D viewer lowers the quality of the texture, does it really do that? Anyway, just check the screen shots in post #1)

Level 34
As I said to Misha, I can live with the proportions but I agree.
The style, yeah I guess, I just painted and this texture happened :)
And about team color. Do you mean where the team color is placed? Because it has team color.

I think that she kinda has too many colors right now. I'd suggest placing teamcolor on the yellow cloth area too. Or something, it's a rather complex question, but i still think that teamcolor placement could be reconsidered.

What I meant is to create a skin out of it not improve yours. It is great already. :D

Oh :) You go ahead. Would be nice to see what you can come up with

JesusHipster said:
I think that she kinda has too many colors right now. I'd suggest placing teamcolor on the yellow cloth area too. Or something, it's a rather complex question, but i still think that teamcolor placement could be reconsidered.

Oh yeah. One of the first drafts I made all of the yellow color was team colored. But I had set my material in Magos to transparent so no shadows were showing. The whole model brightened up and it didn't look good.
In the process I let some of the yellow color stay.
But I completely get your point.
After all I might try redoing the yellow parts to team color.

Level 5
I don`t want to be negative but some of the animations are very bad like walk animation and spell animations they are very choppy and feeling mechanical and unclean i think you must remake them unless you want to have a mechanical night elf model besides a wow-ish model might need several animations like stun,fast walk ,swim,jump etc , but if you want to keep it simple clean those mechanical animations and make them more smooth personally i liked your model and it`s going to be very handy for RPG Maps but first you got to standardize it,

I don`t want to be negative but some of the animations are very bad like walk animation and spell animations they are very choppy and feeling mechanical and unclean i think you must remake them unless you want to have a mechanical night elf model besides a wow-ish model might need several animations like stun,fast walk ,swim,jump etc , but if you want to keep it simple clean those mechanical animations and make them more smooth personally i liked your model and it`s going to be very handy for RPG Maps but first you got to standardize it,

Thanks for the feedback Skyflash.
Yes the animation part was really tricky for me but I agree with you.
I had many other animations in mind when animating, but I quickly realized that that was not going to happen.
As I wrote earlier I'm done with this model. At least for now. I might take it for a fix-up later on.
(Or if any experienced animator want to have a go at it then that's great too).

Did you try the animations in game?

Lastly, thanks again :)

I got a few more things for you, Solu9
your model doesn't play a death sound ( choose archer or warden )
'overhead' attachment is not over her head, creatign a funky thing with the 'shop-arrow' thingie
she's missing the 'weapon' attachment, and 'origin' attachment should not be moving with anything

anims could use work, but the main thing that bothers me is that her portrait does not move a mouth when speaking
edit: she gets stuck in the 'bouncing' anim lill too often, you could set that anim's rarity to higher