• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrain

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Warhunter
A terrained map, using ashenvale tileset.

Please comment! ;)

Keywords:
Terrain, ashenvale
Contents

Terrain (Map)

Reviews
23:24, 26th Jun 2009, by Linaze Decent terrain, but the terrain layout makes this template rather useless, Rejected

M

23:24, 26th Jun 2009, by Linaze
Decent terrain, but the terrain layout makes this template rather useless, Rejected

Level 6
Quite good terrain but it's pretty similar to Wc3 ORPG terrain. I've also found a little ''bug'': The port in bottom left corner is not well placed because it is going through the ground. Also, a suggestion, instead of using bridge, use lower terrain only and enforce water height limit to make it look much more natural. Brdige is too much not good and sometimes it makes ''holes''.
Terrain%20review.jpg
That screenshot should explain everything.

It's good but not very original in fact. I've saw way better terrain. I'm not good in terraining, but after 5 years of warcraft gaming, I've played enough games to know what's a good terrain and what's not (doesn't mean you're isn't).

See for some tutorials in the site about terraining, it might give you ideas for a new terrain or to modify this one. Have fun! Good luck!

Note/Tip: Here it's map submission, terrain isn't well welcomed. Try to make a mini game just to make the player have fun in your terrain. Or maybe make commands with triggers which change the view, set fod, set weather, put # units, etc. Use your imagination.

Level 28
There are terraining forums around here, this is the place you need to be: Terraining Board.

The terrain itself is too plain and empty, you didn't use enough environmental doodads, the road was a bit dissapointing at a few places, where it was just a flat road.
The NE village didn't look night elfish enough, the lumpy grass would be better there (I think).
The edge water - land wasn't really good, it should go more smoothly, now you've a got a cliff which instantly ends in water.
Some blizzard cliffs weren't positioned really well and I generally don't like them for my own reasons :)

In short: use the raise/lower tools a little bit more, add environmental doodads and choose the tileset more wisely.
Not bad, though... but it's not supposed to be in the map-section ;)

Edit:

If you want to create really good terrains, try looking at these masterpieces: Legendary Terrains
That thread is constantly being updated with new terrains, some of them don't look like warcraft at all and that is, of course, the whole point of a good terrain ;)
You will probably say "WTF?" when you see it... now, try to imagine that feeling and create something yourself that makes you feel the same way ^^

If you want to create template terrains instead, that thread might still help you.

Level 31
1) Description - The description are very poor and you used the wrong category for your map. It suppose to be template, not others.

2) Terrain - The terrain isn't that bad, but it isn't that good either. At some road, adding a bush and weed would make it better. At the same time, try add different wild life apart from stag only.

Use some destructible/doodad such as flock of bird since it was a forest.

Overall, 2/5 (Lacking).

Level 3
the terrain is nice and needs just some little upgrades
the doodads need to be way improved *cough*boats*cough*
and please learn how to describe a map

all in all 2.5

Level 24
Terrain is a map template using the Ashenvale tileset.

There isn't much to comment on here except for the terrain and a few other things, but I'll begin with the terrain. It looks okay for sure, but since this is a template that can mostly be reviewed upon how good the terrain looks, I think it needs to be a bit better. It could especially use some more environmental doodads and the road could use some more tile variation. The height variation could also use some smoothing at some places where it's rather sharp at the moment.

The description of this map could be better, you could for example write that this is a template even though it's rather obvious. The map could also have been named better, instead of "Terrain" you should've named it something like "Ashenvale Template".

The last thing that I though about is, what can this template actually be used for? It seems really limited and looks like it's supposed to be a chapter of a campaign or something. Two camps have already been placed out, but the template wouldn't work as a AoS since there'd only be one lane, lots of unused map space, no towers etc. My point is that I don't think that this template would be very usable for anyone, really, because it's too limited for most genres. The idea is good, the execution, however, isn't enough for approval.

2/5 (Lacking) and voted for disapproval.

Last edited:
Level 28
the terrain looks very nice, its a shame looking at the ratings though since its getting rated as a map and not as a template.

Sorry, you are wrong: it's being looked at as a terrain, not as a map.
Read my, septimus' and Linaze's post, you'll see that we won't talk about gameplay, objects, triggers or anything, only about the terrain.
We also say why the terrain isn't that good.